Options

Let's Stop The Recast

Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is absolutely disgusted that DTC has recast a legacy character. One of his worst decisions yet, James said at the start of the year he was open to a return one day so all they needed to do was wait. This new guy won't have the Fowler connection as he didn't appear on screen with Pauline and Mark, he'll just be a new character with an old name. If we all band together and let our voices be heard they might realise what a dire decision this is a cancel the recast.

Comments

• Options
    BakervichBakervich Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit miffed by the recast, I would have liked James back but the decision has been made and petition won't change anything .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bakervich wrote: »
    I'm a bit miffed by the recast, I would have liked James back but the decision has been made and petition won't change anything .

You're probably right but we can at least try. Hollyoaks canceled a character before he aired because of the public backlash so it might be possible.
  • Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    James A doesnt want to return and they have his blessing, whats the problem?
  • Options
    TellMeMoreTellMeMore Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh FFS.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    A character should be brought back according to the show's needs and not on the whim of an actor. They want Martin back and established in time for the 30th which I think is a great idea.

We've had some good recasts...Janine, Sam and Ben probably being the most successful.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is why ds is such a joke sometimes. people pre judging before even seeing it on screen or thinking they speak for everyone. lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    A character should be brought back according to the show's needs and not on the whim of an actor. They want Martin back and established in time for the 30th which I think is a great idea.

We've had some good recasts...Janine, Sam and Ben probably being the most successful.

But we've equally had bad recasts Lucy, Ben (Joshua), Sam (Daniella) and Peter.
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Why don't we stop the Robert Sugden recast while we're at it ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Peggy and Mark as well.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not only absolutely fine with the recast, I'm in huge favour of it. I don't remember being particularly fond of James Alexandrou and I'm the resident expert in acting ability.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why ds is such a joke sometimes. people pre judging before even seeing it on screen or thinking they speak for everyone. lol

I'm sure the new guy will be amazing it's the fact he has no links to the past I'm annoyed about. If Michelle, Grant or Chrissie were recast it would be a different story to DS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »

yeah Joshua was awful but Danielle was the original sam. However her recast by kim medcalf was far superior imo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure the new guy will be amazing it's the fact he has no links to the past I'm annoyed about. If Michelle, Grant or Chrissie were recast it would be a different story to DS.

I don't mind Martin being recast if I'm honest but yeah I agree the other 3 could never be recast
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SMIDSYmk2 wrote: »

a) How do you know he didnt want to return? Maybe the getting the blessing is that they wanted to recast and get a different interpretation of the character and he gave his blessing. They dont say the timing wasn't right for him to come back.

b) Why i bring back Sonia and still have her with Martin offscreen. Why not plan it properly at the time..
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which Ben? I like Harry but I don't think he a difficult job. Charlie Jones was appalling and Joshua Pascoe truly dreadful so anyone new couldn't have been much worse.

I would never count Janine as a recast purely because at that time recasting child actors was the norm. Only Natalie Cassidy managed to last the distance because she was a cut above the rest. Janine had been off screen for three years so her recast was always going to happen once Frank had returned again. Its a similar situation with Mark. David never had the chance to develop the role because of his various problems and then sadly untimely death. So progressing the character on was natural but with Mark EE struck gold as Todd Carty was a household name who seemed destined for EastEnders anyway.

Same for the Peggy recast. I don't even think its worth discussing. Jo Warne was just a guest character who they did nothing with. She only appeared in a handful of episodes if that.

Sam I'm always conflicted about. Danniella is my Sam from my EE era. Kim was an imposter to me. I never believed her as Sam and nor as a Mitchell. I'm convinced the show only kept her on as long as they did because Steve and Bab's had to go on long breaks so they had to relay on her to carry the Mitchell torch. I do think it speaks volumes that the man who recast the role of Sam in the first place, John Yorke, was the one who later insisted Danniella was the one who had to return.

The only thing upsetting for me about Martin being recast is like Sora said. This new guy has no history with Todd or Wendy and I do think that's a shame as it takes away from who the character is supposed to be. We'll have to see how it goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    a) How do you know he didnt want to return? Maybe the getting the blessing is that they wanted to recast and get a different interpretation of the character and he gave his blessing. They dont say the timing wasn't right for him to come back.

b) Why i bring back Sonia and still have her with Martin offscreen. Why not plan it properly at the time..

The amount of references to him the fact that his Wife and Daughter are all but living on the square and his friend his moving there as well.
    Sonia worked since it was a story for Carol not her, not that Sonia has the Gene it can be her storyline, for which they need Martin
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

I liked Joshua's Ben and the new guy is very much like him. Danielle was the original and should never have been asked back when Kim had been so much better in the part.

OK it's a gamble, but to have Martin back in the show now, when he's needed, it's worth it. We've had endless threads saying how unrealistic it is for Martin NOT to be there at this time. TPTB have taken notice and done something about it.
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Lol at how worked up people are getting at this.
    The new actor will come in and his portrayal of Martin will either be a success or not. Either way, all this fuss will die down and you'll the fact that he's a recast will become a tiny part of the character.
    Give the new guy a chance. What if Barbara Windsor, Charlie Brooks, Kim Medcalf, etc etc had had petitions drawn up against them and the BBC had listened?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,278
    Forum Member
    SMIDSYmk2 wrote: »

People who like things just they way they are can't handle it.
  • Options
    TellMeMoreTellMeMore Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ads84 wrote: »
    The new actor will come in and his portrayal of Martin will either be a success or not. Either way, all this fuss will die down and you'll the fact that he's a recast will become a tiny part of the character.
    Give the new guy a chance. What if Barbara Windsor, Charlie Brooks, Kim Medcalf, etc etc had had petitions drawn up against them and the BBC had listened?

Exactly this. Well said.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who is absolutely disgusted that DTC has recast a legacy character. One of his worst decisions yet, James said at the start of the year he was open to a return one day so all they needed to do was wait. This new guy won't have the Fowler connection as he didn't appear on screen with Pauline and Mark, he'll just be a new character with an old name. If we all band together and let our voices be heard they might realise what a dire decision this is a cancel the recast.
    Don't be silly. Contracts have been signed. Scripts have been written. Scenes may have already been shot.

Stopping the recast at this late stage would be disastrous for EE. It would also be likely to prompt legal action from an actor who has been denied a prominent role in a primetime BBC One show after receiving an employment contract.
  • Options
    james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ads84 wrote: »

The First Peggy only appeared in 10 episodes, Janine hadn't been seen since 1996 when Charlie Brooks took over the role at 16 in 1999 and Kim was fired in favour of Danniella so its not the best comparison to keep bringing her up.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member

Bizarre and ridiculous post.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member

I preferred Daniella's incarnation of Sam. She suited her more. I also think Hardy was a good recast.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member

Completely agree. Of course it is preferable to have the original actor back but if the plot demands the character return they don't have the option to just wait until the actor wants to return, has a gap in his schedule etc. Martin's absence has been almost laughable in its noticeability. Either they needed to not have Sonia come back, say they'd split up to explain why she and Rebecca are around and Martin isn't or they needed to recast him.

Frankly I think they"ve waited long enough to bring him back already.

The very first episode centred around 3 plots - Reg Cox being found dead, Den and Angie's wedding anniversary and Pauline announcing she was pregnant 'ate in life'. That. Pregnancy was Martin - it makes sense they want him back for the 30th anniversary and they can't wait for the actor to become available.