Options

Does tying your jumper/jacket around your waist

CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
make you look like a 90s throwback?

This is what I wonder every time I do this.

No-one else seems to do it anymore :(

Comments

• Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of tourists this season had salmon chinos and a beige jumper tied round their neck. *shudders*
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    A Sunday night thread if ever I saw one. To answer your question though, yes. Fashions come and go, and tying your jumper round your waist has well and truly gone.
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Fashion!? I thought it was just being practical you get hot and don't have a bag to put it in.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Cricketers have been doing it for decades upon decades.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still do it at the football.

If it's too hot, it isn't going on my knee, nor on the floor, so it gets wrapped around my waist.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do it sometimes if I can't be bothered to carry but it does make me look scruffy
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I tell my daughter off when she does it, it looks so messy, there's nothing attractive about it at all and it ruins the sleeves - her top was 2 inches longer in the sleeves after doing it :D
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I had a different phrase in mind, but yeah, let's go with 90's throwback in case there's kids watching.
    No, funny that.

Having said that, as bad as round the waist is, it's still infinitely better than round the shoulders. Is there anyone alive who still thinks that's a good look?! :o
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Round the waist is definitely a 90's thing.

Putting it over your shoulders makes you look like Hooray Henry on his Yacht.
  • Options
    JigglyBallJigglyBall Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're young enough, you would know it actually came back into fashion this year. Tying a plaid/checked shirt around your waist was a big thing. Google "checked shirt around waist" for examples of what you have missed.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    A Sunday night thread if ever I saw one. To answer your question though, yes. Fashions come and go, and tying your jumper round your waist has well and truly gone.
    Fashion!? I thought it was just being practical you get hot and don't have a bag to put it in.
    Same here. I often do that since I warm up quite a lot when I walk. Not that I care about fashion anyway. There's not many other things you can do with a jumper once you no longer want to wear it.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's a hoodie, an alternative is to put just the hood over your head leaving your hands free to do whatever you need to.

(Running around pretending you're a superhero and the hoodie is a cape is optional)
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Round the waist is definitely a 90's thing.

Hmmm. This probably reflects your age.

I used to do it in the 70s. I used to do it in the 80s. I did it for a bit in the 90s too, until I put on weight and it looked a bit naff
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do it for practical reasons, nothing to do with fashion for me. I consider it a sign of maturity when you don't hold yourself a slave to fitting in. I also live near the sea so I can walk out the door to a warm sunny day only to be greeted by a brisk wind some 20 minutes later, so taking an extra layer is just common sense, and tying it around my waist means less to carry.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do it for practical reasons, nothing to do with fashion for me. I consider it a sign of maturity when you don't hold yourself a slave to fitting in. I also live near the sea so I can walk out the door to a warm sunny day only to be greeted by a brisk wind some 20 minutes later, so taking an extra layer is just common sense, and tying it around my waist means less to carry.

I wouldn't do it purely because it looks terrible, nothing to do with "fitting in", I just like to look good. Saying that, I did do it the other week at a gig as the venue was ridiculously hot, everyone was a sweaty mess though so I wasn't too bothered about looking crap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well exactly. I can't believe some threads. You are walking somewhere, you get hot, so you either tie your jumper round your waist or have the aggravation of carrying it for the duration. Who on earth dithers about wondering if jumpers-round-the-waist are in or out this year?
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it acceptable to tie my jumper round my neck and pretend it's a super hero cape?
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to tie my jumper round my neck and pretend it's a super hero cape?

Ahem...
    If it's a hoodie, an alternative is to put just the hood over your head leaving your hands free to do whatever you need to.

(Running around pretending you're a superhero and the hoodie is a cape is optional)
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahem...

I didn't see your post, the hood over my head must have obscured my vision. :blush:
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do this all the time, well all the time, I have a jumper or a jacket, which is only at this time of year, but still I see no wrong in doing it.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its wonderful to reach a certain age and not give a damn what anyone thinks if you do whst makes you comfortable
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Its wonderful to reach a certain age and not give a damn what anyone thinks if you do whst makes you comfortable
    just out of interst what age is that?
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely tie my jumper or jacket round my waist because I hate what it does to the sleeves and I don't like how my bum looks with a jumper/jacket hanging over it.

I always tie my kids jumpers round their waists when they take them off though.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    just out of interst what age is that?

I've often wondered this. I don't think I'll ever not care about how I look, I don't follow current trends and buy labels but I love my clothes (I'm into 1960s and mod style stuff). I do wonder when you see old people walking around looking like tramps or just generally poorly dressed and then you see other old men who take a real pride in their appearance and always look really dapper. I'd like to think I'll be the latter.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Fold it and carry it over one arm.