Options

Best at Comedy Soap.

Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
Forum Member
So - as it says...what does anyone think is best at comedy?

Personally, I thought Crossroads was very good - not always for the right reasons - but sometimes they got it right!
Nowadays, humour is put on the back-burner behind Murder, Pregnancies and :o another affair!!
But which Soap today is the best at cheering us up with a few comedic one-liners or a bit of slap-stick comedy?

My favourites are Emmerdale and Corrie - their one-liners can be so memorable!
Emmerdale was famous for its slapstick fights with the Dingles, Corrie with the battles on the cobbles ("Here comes the rest of the Village People") etc.

I choose Corrie as the best "Comedic- Soap"....(not demeaning it as a proper drama!!):cool:

Comments

• Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale has it's moments, like the Bernice & Katie sausage fight. Usually the kids come out with the best one liners these days though :)

Corrie's humour seems forced by most characters, apart from a select few like Deirdre & Eileen.

EastEnders is also good at comedy sometimes, people don't expect it from EE though.

Hollyoaks is quite funny ATM. Mercedes comments in tonight's E4 episode when Teresa was giving birth were funny. Plus the Nana & Grace scenes are funny too. It's just a bit of light humour really.
  • Options
    paton1983paton1983 Posts: 2,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think coronation street has always been known for its comedic characters that feel very natural and realistic.
    I also think, over the years, hollyoaks has given plenty of comedy characters and moments.
    I never seen crossroads so couldn't comment on it (unless you mean the most recent crossroads which I always see more as a British desperate housewives etc rather than a soap)
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Corrie and Emmerdale have the best comedic moments. It seems to come very organically and doesn't seem forced at all.

Eastenders is the worst at comedy - they should just stick to the dour drama stories because whenever the writers try comedy it just comes across as heavy-handed. I think what makes it worse with Eastenders - is the other characters laughing at something that one character may say or do - they may as well have canned laughter because it doesn't fool anyone.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I can agree with most comments up to now!
    Corrie are the funniest, Emmerdale are close after! Crossroads (IMO) was very funny at times (the original series!) and I found Take The High Road quite witty too - with characters like Big Morag and Mrs Mack!!
    EastEnders are not funny - as much as they try to be! Nor were Brookside neither!

Corrie & Emmerdale rule!! :)

(Even Sons & Daughters had huge comedy moments!!)
  • Options
    paton1983paton1983 Posts: 2,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved mrs Mack! Effy was also quite comical too. Most characters on high road had a fun side until the last few years of the show
  • Options
    Jake2008Jake2008 Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie gets me sometimes but then I think the whole episode resolves around being funny sometimes

Eastenders got me once, Bianca and Ricky were talking and Bianca said something along the lines of a really clever man in the wheelchair meaning Stephen hawking for Ricky to say "what, Libby's boyfriend?" meaning Adam it made me laugh a lot!
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bernice on Emmerdale is good, and Mary on Corrie also
  • Options
    eastboy1980eastboy1980 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE is only very occasionally funny, but this is fine by me because i watch my soaps for the drama.

If i want to laugh i'll watch a sitcom!
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale and Corrie when it's at its best.

Eastenders is really terrible when it tries to be funny.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coronation Street is the most best at comedy closely followed by Emmerdale.
    Eastenders is the worst at comedy.
    IMO
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all time Corrie but that hasn't been funny in years, well not for the right reasons. :p

EE can be a lot funnier than its ever given credit for.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Oaks is frequently unintentionally hilarious these days.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »

EE can be a lot funnier than its ever given credit for.

But not intentionally.
  • Options
    ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think EE can be extremely funny. Nina Wadia in particular was hilarious as Zainab.

I find Billy funny sometimes, I'm still laughing at his best man speech. "When Phil said he wanted a shotgun wedding, Lisa took it the wrong way".
  • Options
    lewismacflewismacf Posts: 14,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie just because of Steve McDonald
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie but not at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So - as it says...what does anyone think is best at comedy?

Personally, I thought Crossroads was very good - not always for the right reasons - but sometimes they got it right!
    Nowadays, humour is put on the back-burner behind Murder, Pregnancies and :o another affair!!
    But which Soap today is the best at cheering us up with a few comedic one-liners or a bit of slap-stick comedy?

My favourites are Emmerdale and Corrie - their one-liners can be so memorable!
    Emmerdale was famous for its slapstick fights with the Dingles, Corrie with the battles on the cobbles ("Here comes the rest of the Village People") etc.

I choose Corrie as the best "Comedic- Soap"....(not demeaning it as a proper drama!!):cool:
    I would have to say corrie but neighbours shelia and Naomi been great at comedy this year
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HO is funny even when it's not supposed to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie used to be but I don't find it that funny these days. All the "comedy" characters are actually just annoying busybodies. I despise Norris with a passion, the man is a parasite that feeds off others misery and he basically fleeced an old woman out of her house - yet we are all meant to find him oh so funny.

Mary is the same, a sad middle aged woman living in a caravan on a Manchester side street lusting after men she can't have. Both have pathetic lives yet love to stick their noses into other peoples. They don't work as comedy characters in the same way that Blanche or Fred or even Reg Holdsworth did.

At the moment I find Emmerdale funnier. I like Jimmy and Val and Eric they can all have some great funny lines but can also do serious when needed.
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks has some comedy moments. I love the dark comedy they have going on too.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member

At the moment I find Emmerdale funnier. I like Jimmy and Val and Eric they can all have some great funny lines but can also do serious when needed.

Emmerdale is crackingly witty. It actually makes me laugh out loud, even in dramatic scenes. Charity's big meltdown scene was impressive and hilarious, "OH do I need to give my badge back?" I even laughed at Andy trolling Doug's fandom last night, and Diane spitting the word "Rodney."

Jimmy and Nicola, and Kerry and Bernice are also all great at comedy lines. Think it comes from having a great cast of characters and great writing, coming together.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale is crackingly witty. It actually makes me laugh out loud, even in dramatic scenes. Charity's big meltdown scene was impressive and hilarious, "OH do I need to give my badge back?" I even laughed at Andy trolling Doug's fandom last night, and Diane spitting the word "Rodney."

Jimmy and Nicola, and Kerry and Bernice are also all great at comedy lines. Think it comes from having a great cast of characters and great writing, coming together.
    Agreed. Jimmy and Nicola are great together. I think comedy works best when the actors are good. Sadly I don't think Norris and Mary in Corrie are that good or believable in their roles so the humour seems forced.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Agreed. Jimmy and Nicola are great together. I think comedy works best when the actors are good. Sadly I don't think Norris and Mary in Corrie are that good or believable in their roles so the humour seems forced.

Yes. I think it's also about how the characters spark off each other. Emmerdale's blessed with a bunch of really believable relationships at the moment - the cast work brilliantly together, and some of them have tons of history, and that makes the funny moments seem more natural

I don't watch Corrie now - but I've always found Mary about as funny as a kick in the goolies. She's just too much of a cringy cartoon for me.
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie and Emmerdale have always been the best for comedy

Eastenders is more better at dry wit and sarcasm

Hollyoaks.......:everyone laughs at it, not with it:D
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    EE is only very occasionally funny, but this is fine by me because i watch my soaps for the drama.

If i want to laugh i'll watch a sitcom!
    Agreed.

EastEnders can be funny with it's dry wit/Sarcastic humour EastEnders also has some classic one liners which is all thats needed. Corrie can keep it's slap stick humour. I have GOLD & DAVE for Comedy

Doctors does humour well.