Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We appear to have a psychic defending this shambles.

Blimey I've known people arrive back from a 2 week stint working abroad, in the early morning hours and still come in work and do a 12 hour shift.I can't see any excuse for some pampered radio or tv presenter not to turn up and do his job that only extends to 2 days a week or a total of 6 hours on 5live ! Perhaps he was just too tired.:) Bless him.

And I am delighted that you all have the time to moan about this.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We appear to have a psychic defending this shambles.

Blimey I've known people arrive back from a 2 week stint working abroad, in the early morning hours and still come in work and do a 12 hour shift.I can't see any excuse for some pampered radio or tv presenter not to turn up and do his job that only extends to 2 days a week or a total of 6 hours on 5live ! Perhaps he was just too tired.:) Bless him.

I'm not psychic, I looked at the England fixtures ahead.

Whether it's right or not is a different matter.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    I'm not psychic, I looked at the England fixtures ahead.

Whether it's right or not is a different matter.

Fair play to you then mate for doing the research,

Btw, your reply was far better than the Phil Ander one.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair play to you then mate for doing the research,

Btw, your reply was far better than the Phil Ander one.

As for other people working long hours, Chiles isn't the only one who would take the day after a trip abroad, I would and I'd be allowed. It may come from his holiday allowance which of course is his perogative
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Doesn't dame Nikki take time off to make that crappy ITV show about families?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for other people working long hours, Chiles isn't the only one who would take the day after a trip abroad, I would and I'd be allowed. It may come from his holiday allowance which of course is his perogative

l do worry how tiring it must be for a presenter to have to read a text prepared for by a band of 5live researchers off a computer screen.l do hope the presenter gets time for a lie down in between trailers.
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I have just listened to part of Peter Allen's programme this morning from Westminster, about dissaffection with Parliament. He was interviewing some young people as well as John Pienaar and assorted politicians, and from what I heard, I thought he did an excellent job.

The programme was a pleasant change from some of the dross I have listened to in that slot, and seemed to have been well judged, in that it played to Peters strengths and experience (asking an MEP "...yes, but what have you actually done...") , as well as being topical, given recent events in the two by-elections and Scottish referendum.

I hope this is a sign of things to come.
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was excellent. my work morning flew by
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't want to keep harping on about this but some of you seem to want to know the fine ends of a fart about individual presenters private lives as well as professional ones.

I note that you don't come on here moaning about Peter Allen's travel arrangements. I suspect it's because you all rate him as a presenter. Yes he may stay in Salford on certain days of the week but to the best of my knowledge he has not moved his family there.. You also moan about certain presenters when they are there and also when they are not there

Re Mister Chiles, you may be right in that he could have flown direct to Manchester from Estonia overnight(on a flight paid for by the BBC surely not?). On the other hand as ITV would have paid his fare he could equally have stayed with them in an hotel overnight and returned on Monday Morning. I don't know if that supposition is right either but unless you have all researched flight times and destinations from Estonia to the UK I think it frankly pointless to make childish sarcastic remarks about the man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »
    I have just listened to part of Peter Allen's programme this morning from Westminster, about dissaffection with Parliament. He was interviewing some young people as well as John Pienaar and assorted politicians, and from what I heard, I thought he did an excellent job.

The programme was a pleasant change from some of the dross I have listened to in that slot, and seemed to have been well judged, in that it played to Peters strengths and experience (asking an MEP "...yes, but what have you actually done...") , as well as being topical, given recent events in the two by-elections and Scottish referendum.

I totally agree.

First class radio but what a shame that it took 16 years of queen vic for a controller to finally get the message and initiate a change for the better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Re Mister Chiles, you may be right in that he could have flown direct to Manchester from Estonia overnight(on a flight paid for by the BBC surely not?). On the other hand as ITV would have paid his fare he could equally have stayed with them in an hotel overnight and returned on Monday Morning. I don't know if that supposition is right either but unless you have all researched flight times and destinations from Estonia to the UK I think it frankly pointless to make childish sarcastic remarks about the man.

I agree.

There should be absolutely no place for sarcasm in British society today and I for one will do my utmost to establish the truth of this matter by contacting customer services at Estonia Air and will report back when I have the full facts and relevant information.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be care ful whwat you wish for. If 5 Live gets rid of Adrian Chiles, Simon Hirst is looking to get back into radio, and 5 Live would be a most suitable home for him now he's becoming a she. Would you rather listen to Adrian Chiles or Simon Hirst?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Be care ful whwat you wish for. If 5 Live gets rid of Adrian Chiles, Simon Hirst is looking to get back into radio, and 5 Live would be a most suitable home for him now he's becoming a she. Would you rather listen to Adrian Chiles or Simon Hirst?

Ssssssshhhhhhh.... I mentioned Simon Hirst once but I think I got away with it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've heard of Damien Hirst but not Simon...........are they related ?
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard of Damien Hirst but not Simon...........are they related ?

I'm not sure if Simon might soon have a body part pickled in formaldehyde in a jar!
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    davestoke wrote: »
    I'm not sure if Simon might soon have a body part pickled in formaldehyde in a jar!

We had a transgender professor on Breakfast this morning to share his views on the whole situation, which gave them the opportunity to replay chunks of Nolan's interview again. It also appears that Simon is a friend of Anna Foster. 5 Live have the bit between their teeth on this one, which has the feeling of something that will run and run, even though I suspect the majority of the listeners are very "ho-hum" about it.
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems we may have been premature in praising the Peter Allen show, this morning's show is going to be about problem gamblers and their stories. Misery again probably, will be interesting to see how he handles it though.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, he's such a professional & has years of experience. Wasn't he a political correspondent for ITV?
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I note that you don't come on here moaning about Peter Allen's travel arrangements. I suspect it's because you all rate him as a presenter. Yes he may stay in Salford on certain days of the week but to the best of my knowledge he has not moved his family there.. You also moan about certain presenters when they are there and also when they are not there

Peter's children are all grown up with families of their own, so he's not likely to move them to Manchester. Also I think his wife has got her own career. As they're based in Cambridge, it would be a bit daft to move her up to Salford for 3 days a week.

I think he did live up North when he was presenting Drive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    chandlerp wrote: »
    It seems we may have been premature in praising the Peter Allen show, this morning's show is going to be about problem gamblers and their stories. Misery again probably, will be interesting to see how he handles it though.

He was quite critical of some of the gamblers he had on, quite different from Victoria who would have been gushing in sympathy for them. I'm not convinced that this slot is the best for Peter Allen though, but it is early days. The fact that he doesn't have a co-presenter doesn't really help.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    He was quite critical of some of the gamblers he had on, quite different from Victoria who would have been gushing in sympathy for them. I'm not convinced that this slot is the best for Peter Allen though, but it is early days. The fact that he doesn't have a co-presenter doesn't really help.

Bacon's old slot, and a free hand to do what he wished would have been ideal for him. Unfortunately, the BBC do not have the cojones to do that.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a transgender professor on Breakfast this morning to share his views on the whole situation, which gave them the opportunity to replay chunks of Nolan's interview again. It also appears that Simon is a friend of Anna Foster. 5 Live have the bit between their teeth on this one, which has the feeling of something that will run and run, even though I suspect the majority of the listeners are very "ho-hum" about it.

I bet 99.9% of 5live listeners had never heard of this DJ. We've just had the Frank/Kellie Maloney story reported widely on all media platforms. Quite why they think we're interested in exactly the same situation being prominently reported again baffles me.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet 99.9% of 5live listeners had never heard of this DJ. We've just had the Frank/Kellie Maloney story reported widely on all media platforms. Quite why they think we're interested in exactly the same situation being prominently reported again baffles me.

They're interested, so we must be interested. That's how 5 Live seems to work now.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're interested, so we must be interested. That's how 5 Live seems to work now.

Do you want them to run a poll before every story just to make sure it meets listener requirements?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member

I'd never heard of him/her, and I'm not interested, and I'm sure very few people are interested in the "black" football managers thing that they go on about so much. Do they not realise that they are as bad as the old South Africa by being obsessed about the colour of the skin. So, when Roy Hodgson retires will they have to interview , say , Viv Anderson, only to reject him. It is bonkers.
This discussion has been closed.