Options

Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express - 11/10/2014 (BBC One/HD-8:35pm) Thread

Comments

• Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    There's another version that Foxes released herself with a different musical arrangement.

Think the BBC One is much better :)

Heres the orig if anyones interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM

Fantastic song.
  • Options
    trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this episode very much. Far, far better than last week's Soup Dragon nonsense.

The only thing I wish they would get a grip of is... the train in space!
    Honestly, you would think the production team had no imagination regarding space ships. Another one that grated previously, was the Titanic spaceship, a few years ago. What's wrong with the idea of a proper futuristic space liner? They managed it in the olden days (Trial of Timelord: Vervoid story, and Nightmare of Eden).

Oh, and I noticed the Tom Baker accent too. So much so, that I rewound it several times to convince myself that I wasn't imagining it! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    There's another version that Foxes released herself with a different musical arrangement.

She certainly got that hint of aimy winehouse about her .. nice touch for dr who .. cheers again corwin
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Heres the orig if anyones interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM

Fantastic song.

Fantastic song? :confused::o I beg to differ. I loathe Queen, and that awful song in particular (puts on safety helmet and runs for cover).

Foxes' version didn't impress me either. In keeping with the 1920's feel of the episode I would much rather have had her sing a song that was actually from that era, rather than one I detest from the 1970's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know Johnny... I just think we're all on a hiding to nothing when debating musical tastes. I personally thought the song choice and style was perfect and loved the youtube links Corwin posted. But in the same way episodes of Dr Who can't please everyone, the same goes with music scores
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Fantastic song? :confused::o I beg to differ. I loathe Queen, and that awful song in particular (puts on safety helmet and runs for cover).

Everyone is entitled to their own musical tastes so no need to hide :D My 9 year old daughter recently 'discovered' Queen and is a huge fan. No Justin Bieber or One Direction in our house :D

Personally I can't stand The Beatles, but hey ho ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Here is another take on the Orient Express story :)

http://www.votesaxon.org.uk/index.php?topic=10672.0
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Think the BBC One is much better :)

Fantastic song.

Me too :) And I loved the video with all the bits from series 8.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    This was the first episode of this series I actually enjoyed so I voted Good.

The mummy was scary, and the opening scene with the old lady was classic.
    The end was a bit feeble (all resolved by saying 'I surrender') but on the whole it was good.
    Can we have more like this please instead of the shouty running around we've had recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    This was the first episode of this series I actually enjoyed so I voted Good.

The mummy was scary, and the opening scene with the old lady was classic.
    The end was a bit feeble (all resolved by saying 'I surrender') but on the whole it was good.
    Can we have more like this please instead of the shouty running around we've had recently.

Yknow when u think about it the 'surrender' line was genious. Lets face it soliders will kill at all costs unless surrender is said ...
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    trilobite wrote: »
    Honestly, you would think the production team had no imagination regarding space ships. Another one that grated previously, was the Titanic spaceship, a few years ago. What's wrong with the idea of a proper futuristic space liner? They managed it in the olden days (Trial of Timelord: Vervoid story, and Nightmare of Eden).
    I get that, but on the other hand you run the risk of dating the show quite heavily by doing that, it can get quite distracting. Sometimes the style influences the story - given this was a story about a ghostly undead stalker, the gothic Victorian setting goes a long way to setting our expectations, particularly the claustrophobia of a train. On the other hand, an episode like The Girl That Waited uses the sterile, plasticky whiteness to enhance the coldness of the situation.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,028
    Forum Member
    I wonder what block 'Mummy' was filmed in as I got the impression that Capaldi was toning down the 'harsher' tones of his Scottish accent somewhat, almost giving it an English infliction in places. (Baker impression aside) It might just be my ears but compared to Into The Dalek and Deep Breath his accent does seem less pronounced in places.:confused:

Loving Capaldi at the moment, especially over the last 2 episodes.

I had a strange feeling after re-watching 'Mummy' last night. At first I thought it was wind because I haven't had this strange feeling for a long long time. I'm starting to look forward to Saturdays again...the show seems to have become fun again rather than a messy chore.

Oops...sorry..imo.

I still have a little gremlin in the back of my mind that has been burnt and has had the rug pulled from under it so many times over the the last two series...so I am hoping his cautious nagging does not turn out to be right when it tells me not to build my hopes too high.

It could be the first Christmas since Steven Moffat took over the reigns that I treat myself to that latest series box set. Crumbs...I think I need a Doctor.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trilobite wrote: »

I can't agree with this.

I love the idea that an ordinary looking Earth object like a old-fashioned police box can travel in space (and time).

Therefore I also love the idea that:

Sailing ships from various Earth eras (Englightenment)
    A 1950's charabanc (Delta and the Bannerman)
    The Titanic (Voyage of the Damned)
    and
    The Orient Express (Mummy on the Orient Express)

can all travel through space.

Why should it be beyond the ingenuity of future humans or aliens to design space faring vessels that visually resemble land faring vehicles or locomotives or sea faring vessels from Earth's past?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder what block 'Mummy' was filmed in as I got the impression that Capaldi was toning down the 'harsher' tones of his Scottish accent somewhat, almost giving it an English infliction in places. (Baker impression aside) It might just be my ears but compared to Into The Dalek and Deep Breath his accent does seem less pronounced in places.:confused:

It definitely is to my ears - although I didn't think it was because of the filming order, but because the Doctor is both fitting in with, and slightly mocking, the posh English stiff-upper-lip.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    It definitely is to my ears - although I didn't think it was because of the filming order, but because the Doctor is both fitting in with, and slightly mocking, the posh English stiff-upper-lip.

And possibly cos he was allowed to play THE Doctor for the first time rather than just being a toned-down version of a certain spin-doctor - his accent is stronger when he's doing his Mister Angry impression.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And possibly cos he was allowed to play THE Doctor for the first time rather than just being a toned-down version of a certain spin-doctor - his accent is stronger when he's doing his Mister Angry impression.

I'm not entirely sure what that means but a lot of people's accents get stronger when they are angry or getting emotional about something, it's a partial or actual lack of control and stopping to think how you're actually saying what you're saying. Or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure what that means but a lot of people's accents get stronger when they are angry or getting emotional about something, it's a partial or actual lack of control and stopping to think how you're actually saying what you're saying. Or something.

I think the Doctor actually enjoys layering on the Scottish accent when he gets angry, he seemed quite enamoured with it in the first episode. I don't think it's a lapse in Capaldi's performance at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To further the nostalgia, mere seconds after he channels Tom Baker, the music (performed by a refreshingly smaller ensemble) begins to echo Dudley Simpson's work from the 70s. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I would have liked to see Frank Skinner stay on as a character. I think he did okay.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I being really stupid or was it strange that they used the "train track" rattling sound effect when the "space train" didn't run on a track? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Foxes' version didn't impress me either. In keeping with the 1920's feel of the episode I would much rather have had her sing a song that was actually from that era, rather than one I detest from the 1970's.

Its cool, we're all entitled to our opinions eh :) However, not sure I would have enjoyed hearing a song from the 20's .... :)

The Bugsy Malone sound track would have been cool, was that set in the 20's? Hmm, the Doctor hasn't met Al Capone right?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Am I being really stupid or was it strange that they used the "train track" rattling sound effect when the "space train" didn't run on a track? :D

I know what you mean, but certain airliners have screens instead of windows to depict the outside.

There are suggestions that wholly electric cars should adopt noise generators to help avoid pedestrian collisions.

Many mobile phones include a ringtone which sound like a traditional bell phone.

All for different reasons, but I think the phone comparison is the most accurate here. It was for authenticity.
  • Options
    freeteefreetee Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Couldn't Perkins stay? why cant the Doctor have a male companion for once? I mean in the modern era. Okay, I know their was Jack but I think two guys would be really cool.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    freetee wrote: »
    Couldn't Perkins stay? why cant the Doctor have a male companion for once? I mean in the modern era. Okay, I know their was Jack but I think two guys would be really cool.

Rory Mickey Wilf