Options

HO - Meant to be..

pudge2pudge2 Posts: 1,201
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Given the ironic love in that Hollyoaks has for affairs and just general bed hopping, is there any couple that you think is actually meant to be together?

Even just two characters who perhaps aren't together that you think are perfect for each other?

Out of the current crop of relationships I can only really say Grace and Trevor imo. Not too sure about Dodger and Maxine.

Jack and Frankie maybe but I've never been keen on Frankie and her personality.

I know Ziggy thinks he and Leela are meant to be together but he's just had it off with her sister, so...

Other couples, love triangles and general slutty people;

Nancy/Darren, Diane/Tony, Sinead/Tony, Sinead/Freddie, Joe/Lindsay, Freddie/Lindsay, Robbie/Pheobe, Not Robbie/Holly, Dirk/Cindy, Theresa/Dodger, JP/Ste, Rick/Anything that moves...

Apologies if I'm missing any

Comments

• Options
    grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love Nancy and Darren but ruined
    I liked Dodger and Maxine but now they're making them out to be this amazing couple and soul mates it feels so contrived.
    I like Dennis and Blessing.
    Cindy and Dirk are good.

I'm sick of all the boring affairs and love triangles no couple can't cheat each other and worst of all every couple are doing it.
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never got the Nancy/Darren love. All that woman does is moan! Darren/Sienna was much better. I know Darren and Mercedes slept together years ago but it would have been goo seeing them as a couple - not for a long time but at least for a year or maybe 9 months.
  • Options
    pudge2pudge2 Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot about Blessing and Dennis tbf. I like them together although I can't help but think of Leanne. Especially with Dennis about to go off in search of revenge in her name.

Same with Cindy and Dirk and the whole Rhys thing.
  • Options
    ReoReo Posts: 8,665
    Forum Member
    I like Cindy and Dirk together and I hate that they have them in a middle of a mental health storyline because it's just not working for me and I think they have had enough trouble with Hilton, now is the time for them to be a happy family.

Trevor and Grace are also a good couple, I didn't like them before but I do now and I hope they have their baby (and stay away from crime), but I don't think things will end well for them.

I also like Dennis and Blessing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think couples that were meant to be are a thing of the past for Hollyoaks now. Even Jack/Frankie have been tampered with. Dancy are over for me.

I like Dirk/Cindy, but her storyline will be a huge test for them.
    D.DotA wrote: »
    I never got the Nancy/Darren love. All that woman does is moan! Darren/Sienna was much better. I know Darren and Mercedes slept together years ago but it would have been goo seeing them as a couple - not for a long time but at least for a year or maybe 9 months.

Darren and Mercedes never slept together
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I think Cindy and Dirk work as a couple. Lindsey and Joe were convincing as a couple before the whole Freddie love triangle.

So many awful couples/one night stands at the moment: Dodger/Maxine, Tegan/Ziggy, Nancy/Rick, Sinead/Tony, Ste/JP. People who barely have chemistry as friends let alone lovers. Maybe it's the fact that as soon as a couple get together, one or both of them will cheat with the first person that has a conversation with them. In order to make up for it, they propose/agree to marriage.

There's no point in predicting couples any more because they get together randomly. Next it'll be Trevor and Nana.
  • Options
    DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    Jack and Frankie was contrived at the beginning because the Deans needed somewhere to live and the producers wanted to combine the families. But, they did evolve into a good family and them as a good couple. But that was destroyed by the Ziggy nonsense. Such a shame.

I love Nancy and I love Darren, and they should have worked. But the sheer ridiculousness that they've had to endure is horrendous. Nothing but misery and their relationship has been a joke.

I've never 'shipped' a couple, maybe due to my 'histories'... but even so, I've rarely found a couple that I believe should be together in Hollyoaks, people seem to be thrown together for the sheer randomness of it.
  • Options
    EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should have kept Martha and put her with Dirk instead of Cindy they would have suited each other much better, I especially think Carli Norris could have tackled a medical issue story such as Bipolar Disorder or depression, not saying that Stephanie Waring isn't doing a good job because she is (however im not sure I like how they are doing it but thats a matter for another thread), but it would have been perfect for Carli Norris and it would have been a reason for her to stick around :)
  • Options
    DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    I think they should have kept Martha and put her with Dirk instead of Cindy they would have suited each other much better, I especially think Carli Norris could have tackled a medical issue story such as Bipolar Disorder or depression, not saying that Stephanie Waring isn't doing a good job because she is (however im not sure I like how they are doing it but thats a matter for another thread), but it would have been perfect for Carli Norris and it would have been a reason for her to stick around :)

Martha was brilliant as was Carli. Such a shame she was forced out. Her alcoholism was treated terribly, and reduced to a joke. In fact the whole of the Kane's were written out badly. Such a shame, they could have been brilliant, all decent characters destroyed by terrible writing and direction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darren and Mercedes never slept together

Yes they did years ago! I remember it was at the time Mercedes was going to sex addiction meetings and Darren pretended to be a sex addict. I wouldn't expect you to remember don't worry, but it did happen. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they did years ago! I remember it was at the time Mercedes was going to sex addiction meetings and Darren pretended to be a sex addict. I wouldn't expect you to remember don't worry, but it did happen. :)

They bumped in to each other at the sex addict meetings and Darren took the P out of her, but I don't recall them sleeping together. This came up on a thread a while back regarding Mercedes' conquests and everyone seemed to agree the pair hadn't slept together......have you got the episode to hand?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They bumped in to each other at the sex addict meetings and Darren took the P out of her, but I don't recall them sleeping together. This came up on a thread a while back regarding Mercedes' conquests and everyone seemed to agree the pair hadn't slept together......have you got the episode to hand?

Of course I haven't got the episode at hand. But I remember at the time I thought they where the best looking HO characters and they did look good together. Also, they didn't bump into each other, Darren followed her there, I'm not sure if it was before or after they slept together but I remember him following her there. Darren's never been a sex addict.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I haven't got the episode at hand. But I remember at the time I thought they where the best looking HO characters and they did look good together. Also, they didn't bump into each other, Darren followed her there, I'm not sure if it was before or after they slept together but I remember him following her there. Darren's never been a sex addict.

Darren is a gambling addict, I remember the episode vaguely and he didn't follow her there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maxine and Dodger were contrived from the off. Nothing about their initial encounter suggested there was anything more than a one-night-stand and now we're meant to believe that they were actually meant to be together. It's a ridiculous attempt to make us think that it was all right because she wanted to be with Dodger really, whereas what it really was was Dodger taking advantage of the fact that Maxine had been kicked out by Martha and she would feel obliged to get back with Patrick because he's told her he wants her back. Dodger was being sleazily true to form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    Darren is a gambling addict, I remember the episode vaguely and he didn't follow her there.

I know he's a gambling addict. The poster I replied to said he bumped into her at a sex addiction meeting, when in reality he's not a sex addict and he followed her there because she was acting weird and he wanted to get to the bottom of her behaviour and he had a crush on her at the time. You remember it vaguely like you say, but it was a SL I enjoyed so I remember it vividly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know he's a gambling addict. The poster I replied to said he bumped into her at a sex addiction meeting, when in reality he's not a sex addict and he followed her there because she was acting weird and he wanted to get to the bottom of her behaviour and he had a crush on her at the time. You remember it vaguely like you say, but it was a SL I enjoyed so I remember it vividly.

He was attending his gambling addiction group meeting when he accidentally wandered in to a sex addicts' meeting. He was about to leave when he saw Mercedes, and he stayed and took the P out of her. That was all there was to it. He didn't follow her because she was acting weird....
  • Options
    nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if they had built Maxine/Dodger up and if she had not married his dad/ got pregnant by him and he'd disappeared, then fair enough. But the fact they hooked up a few days after marrying his dad and heavily pregnant just seem too contrived...how would any relationship in that set up work? Married to his dad and pregnant with his "sister"? And it did annoy me all the never felt this way before and engagement...mainly because they'd known each other all of 5 minutes. At least with Texas, his speech at the wedding and one night stand was not contrived and they had a genuine build up, including genuine 'brother in the way and reason why Texas stayed with a man she didn't love'. I could believe in them.

But Maxine/Dodger...what is this love based on? They weren't attracted to each other or even friends really prior to Patrick. They had a one night stand whilst drunk whilst she was on a break from Patrick and being abused. An accidental pregnancy and a few conversations and I'm supposed to believe they are the love of each others lives?

I think the question is of 'love of each others life' or convenience...
    Cindy and Dirk are a good couple but a couple of convenience. She is not madly and passionately in love with him. In fact with Nancy and Darren broken up, I actually genuinely believed Cindy loved Darren and personally think they were better suited. He would have also been great in a storyline like this.

Tony and Diane were supposed to be "true love" from a chance meeting as children, but they come across as 'together for the twins'.

Darren and Nancy do come across as "love of each others lives" but have had too much crap thrown on them that they no longer are a believable couple. Same with Lindsay and Joe...surely the moment he finds out the baby might be Freddie's it'll be over!

Weird enough is when one of the most stable and genuine relationships on the show is two teenagers such as Holly and Jason.
  • Options
    paton1983paton1983 Posts: 2,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to butt in to the disagreement but I was sure they slept together following this meeting. Did they not have a few episodes where Mercedes wouldn't sleep with Darren as she was trying to behave but then she did?

But it could simply be that I've imagined Darren and Mercedes having sex, which is totally understandable 😊

Edit: In response to the op, I still believe Darren and Cindy were so much better suited. Love nancy and dirk but feel they are unsuitable to their current partners. Trevor and grace are a great couple, just as long as gangster cack is left out of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cindy is more mature when she's with Dirk- I like that.

What annoys me about Maxine and Dodger is that there was no chemistry. They didn't go on to have an affair or give each other secret romantic looks.

It's the equivilent of Nancy deciding that Joe Roscoe is her true love.

I actually think Maxine would be suited to someone younger than her; I can see her doing a Becca.
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I've loved the ones that don't necessarily 'fit' together, like Dirk/Cindy, Blessing/Dennis and, before the domestic violence story, Patrick/Maxine. Now that they've toned down a bit, Grace/Trevor are great together too.

I've always harbored a little secret desire to have Dennis and Maxine together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was attending his gambling addiction group meeting when he accidentally wandered in to a sex addicts' meeting. He was about to leave when he saw Mercedes, and he stayed and took the P out of her. That was all there was to it. He didn't follow her because she was acting weird....

Well I know what happened and you think you know what happened. Let's just leave it as you are not going to back down even though I know the truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paton1983 wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in to the disagreement but I was sure they slept together following this meeting. Did they not have a few episodes where Mercedes wouldn't sleep with Darren as she was trying to behave but then she did

That is exactly how I remember it and how it happened. Thank you for pointing out the SL exactly how I have pointed it out. :) At least someone on here actually remembers it it the right way like me. Some members on here are sure they know what's what but they don't so it's best to ignore them lol. Once again thank you for pointing out what happened and have a lovely day! :)
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recall Mercy/Darren but i'd be inclind to belive DotA as they are Mercys biggst fan!;-)
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    Blast from the past = John Paul and Craig (still have hopes that when James leaves they might have him and Matthew heading back to Dublin)

and in the present = Darren and Nancy (see them as a young Karl & Susan from Neighbours - now there IS a couple that are 'meant to be' = always finding there way back to each other no matter what life [i.e.: tPtB] throws at them)
  • Options
    ameewameew Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of HOs many issues is that couples rarely have longevity and they throw people together for the sake of storylines , such as Dennis/Blessing, Dirk/Cindy and Dodger/Maxine.

I never bought into Darren and Nancy together. I believe his best match was Vindy and it annoys me that they only remember their relationship when convenient. I was really into Dodger/Texas as well. Both of them had obvious acting limitations but I thought they did have chemistry together. Dodger and Maxine are together now just to muddy the waters of what was an excellent abuse storyline. I do like Freddie and Sinead together . Anything gs got to be better than To y and Sinead.