Options

Eggheads

Comments

• Options
    LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    particularly Weakest Link - have you seen that one? I posted it on the previous page. .[/SPOILER]

It wouldn't be a given that the other strong contestants would make it through, but if you put a few strong players into the team with her, it's a decent bet that at least one of them will make it through to help her out - particularly if CJ has been told to go easy on the other strong contestants when it comes to picking out questions for them.

It's obviously going back about eight months ago now, so my memory may be a little faulty, but I seem to remember they made several comments about her even before the Final. Almost right at the beginning CJ muttered about her being the one to watch. A short time later, Jeremy said he saw what CJ had meant, and CJ nodded sagely. They then kept peppering her with compliments as the show got down to the final.

At one point they told the other two contestants that they were very lucky to be carried by her - I remember spitting my food out at this point, so I must have been drawing very different conclusions from you as regards her 'owning the final'. I think what you interpret as 'owning', I interpret as her thinking herself superior to everyone around her, and droning on incessantly - she's been doing the same thing in Eggheads, with negative results to date. However, just because somebody isn't leading the conversation, it doesn't mean that they don't know the answer themselves. I was looking at the body language of the other two (particularly the chap on the right, with the perfect record) and judging that they were fairly confident of the answers too.

And yeah, I have seen the Weakest Link clip on YouTube, thanks. I think I may have been the person who first mentioned it on the ROTE thread....
  • Options
    Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam Seed wrote: »
    i think shes fantastic. very confident and quite weird although i admit im slightly attracted to her

Well, she's been on three shows so far. Twice the Eggs have lost and the one they won was the one where she lost her head to head.
  • Options
    dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So has Lisa been on anything else apart from ROTE and TWL?
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a given that the other strong contestants would make it through, but if you put a few strong players into the team with her, it's a decent bet that at least one of them will make it through to help her out - particularly if CJ has been told to go easy on the other strong contestants when it comes to picking out questions for them.

I think you misunderstood my point - I didn't say that there was no guarantee that the other players would make it through to the final, I said that there was no guarantee that Lisa herself would make it to the final. She lost one life, and they only had two each. They could hardly have made her an Egghead if she'd been knocked out in the main game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dachse wrote: »
    So has Lisa been on anything else apart from ROTE and TWL?

Yes, she has appeared on The Chase against Paul Sinha, and HeadJam, a short-lived quiz with Vernon Kay. Apparently she got to the final of all of them, but Revenge was the first time she won any money.
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sort of pleased they sit Lisa next to CJ, or I'd have thought they were the same person.

Same silly faces, smugness, rolly eyes, full of themselves attitudes, I can't help but hope they lose lots of times :D
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    I'm sort of pleased they sit Lisa next to CJ, or I'd have thought they were the same person.

Same silly faces, smugness, rolly eyes, full of themselves attitudes, I can't help but hope they lose lots of times :D

I know. She is so rude with some of her responses to Jeremy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I said that there was no guarantee that Lisa herself would make it to the final.

No guarantee, no. But if she had done well in the auditions, it wasn't that likely that she would have got eliminated - you had to get a bunch of questions wrong in order to get eliminated. And quite possibly CJ was going easy on her in terms of questions. I can't remember what category he chose for her - it would be quite interesting to go back and see, now that we're getting clearer on her strengths. Well, sort of strengths.

And if she did happen to get eliminated, they'd probably just look elsewhere, being sure to cut Jeremy's and CJ's positive comments about her.

They wanted her through, and stacked everything in her favour, although probably without going as far as doing a Charles Van Doren on her. That's my guess.
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that is probably true.I still don't understand why though?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should have invited females to an "Are you an Egghead" competition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Something I've noticed... I'm a bit behind on iPlayer, so I'm still on last week's episodes, and the way that Jeremy is talking to CJ suggests that it's his first show back, whereas in fact he has been back since the start of this series. He keeps saying things like, 'Good start for your return' and 'Are you a bit rusty?' etc. It would appear that he is somehow unaware that CJ has been appearing in the episodes that Dermot has presented. You'd think that the production team would have cut those comments out though.
  • Options
    PetingoPetingo Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I've not watched this for ages, and only read about it on-line. I know Daphne has gone and CJ is returning, but I thought a new woman Egghead was joining. When is she on?

I saw the new woman for the first time the other day......boy, was she irritating.

I didn't know Daphne had left......I hadn't watched it in ages.

I hope Judith is still on the rota.
  • Options
    Francis_ChuFrancis_Chu Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    They should have invited females to an "Are you an Egghead" competition.

They did. Anne from The Chase was one of those competing.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »

Two from the same mould. It's almost as if they were separated at birth and are weirdly reunited without knowing it.
  • Options
    Francis_ChuFrancis_Chu Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Well, she's been on three shows so far. Twice the Eggs have lost and the one they won was the one where she lost her head to head.
    Mind you, the Eggs would've won one of those had they listened to her answer.
  • Options
    dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mind you, the Eggs would've won one of those had they listened to her answer.

And they LOST the first show she was on by listening to her. A question about trains. Can't remember exactly but she quite firmly ruled out the correct answer even though she didn't have a clue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They did. Anne from The Chase was one of those competing.

I remember her episode. It was not a females only competition.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,647
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    I remember her episode. It was not a females only competition.

I think we're talking at cross-purposes here - I think the earlier poster meant they should have held a females-only competition this time round.

Edited to add: just noticed original poster is you, so you presumably knew what you meant! ☺

By the way, anyone see last night's ep? Have read that the challengers only got something like two questions right in the entire show 😮 *cranks up iPlayer*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davads wrote: »
    By the way, anyone see last night's ep? Have read that the challengers only got something like two questions right in the entire show 😮 *cranks up iPlayer*

They were really shocking! I'm not sure how exactly they got 30 mins from that edition.... Did Jeremy Vine do five minutes of bird sounds in the middle?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    They were really shocking! I'm not sure how exactly they got 30 mins from that edition.... Did Jeremy Vine do five minutes of bird sounds in the middle?

They had a lot of chat with both the challengers and the Eggheads in between each round. It's interesting - I suppose they must do that with every contestant, and keep it in or cut it out depending on how much time they have to fill.

I'm pretty sure that that team set a new record. I remember a couple of teams having three questions right in a game, but I think that's the first time someone has only got two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They had a lot of chat with both the challengers and the Eggheads in between each round. It's interesting - I suppose they must do that with every contestant, and keep it in or cut it out depending on how much time they have to fill.

They do the same on Pointless. It becomes obvious that the final will be won 2-0
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    New egghead woman was on today .Unfortunately I took an instant dislike to her when she was first suggested as a possible egghead when on the challenge egghead with CJ.
    She seemed full of herself then and did nothing to change this impression today.'well I have a degree in History which adds to the pressure'( Feel a fool if I lose as I'm so clever)

A pity she didn't know about the name of Iran's railway and she could have helped Eggheads win.

I wonder what period of history her degree encompasses 'The Tudors' 'Second World War?'or Roman Britain to 1950?Doubt it.

She's unspeakably horrid! Not as bad as Jeremy Vine and Barry, true, but unbearable nonetheless.

I think I'll stop watching. I can't abide the sight or sound of Jeremy Vine and this new addition is one nasty addition too many.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy Vine is fine.

Barry is fine as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She's unspeakably horrid! Not as bad as Jeremy Vine and Barry, true, but unbearable nonetheless.

I think I'll stop watching. I can't abide the sight or sound of Jeremy Vine and this new addition is one nasty addition too many.

Sorry, if you don't mind me asking what's wrong with Barry? I think he seems like a nice chap - although in fairness I don't think there has ever been an Egghead who I didn't like.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,647
    Forum Member

I'm pretty sure that that team set a new record. I remember a couple of teams having three questions right in a game, but I think that's the first time someone has only got two.

Watched this one on the iPlayer yesterday out of curiosity. True, the team were a bit of a shambles, but I must say I was really surprised none of the Eggheads had heard of a Hoxton fin...