Options

Doctor Who: Flatline - 18/10/2014 (BBC One/HD-8:25pm) Thread

Comments

• Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody else think last nights ep was a cleverly constructed doctor lite episode. ..
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    Loved this episode.

2M65. Any significance with the trains headcode?...probably not. :D

The first one certainly was significant :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A113
    allen_who wrote: »
    Anybody else think last nights ep was a cleverly constructed doctor lite episode. ..

Definitely. It allowed them to double-bank episodes while keeping The Doctor & Clara very much present in their "lite" episodes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Definitely. It allowed them to double-bank episodes while keeping The Doctor & Clara very much present in their "lite" episodes.

Lots of them a fairly Dr lite this series - The Caretaker certainly was.

Good episode but still too much concentration on Clara - it is obvious they are creating a motive of soldiers and Clara starting to understand what it is to be the Dr but I'd still prefer him to be killing monsters...as he said in his now weekly BIG SPEECH that he has.
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    bp2 wrote: »
    I thought it was average the story made no sense at all and the sonic screwdriver was overused.

So is the Tardis and the psychic paper but it's doctor who. If you don't like it better stop watching.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weeelll..........wasn't a bad episode - I give it 7 out of 10.

However the last scene with Missy and Clara was one hell of a revelation... Hope the Kids Are Alright next week... Gettit?
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    So is the Tardis and the psychic paper but it's doctor who. If you don't like it better stop watching.

You don't understand my point at all and I suggest you stop talking to people like that. Those two things aren't the same. They are in story terms quite simple to understand One is a box that travels through time and space and another is a piece of paper that can be used for any fake ID. These monsters were not explained properly. How did they absorb the energy from the TARDIS. Where did that energy go? Why did they travel in 3 dimensions if they thought it was a 2D universe? Why did they make the exterior of the TARDIS smaller when their power seems to be making 3D objects 2D? If the writer explained his ideas better then it would have improved the story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You don't understand my point at all and I suggest you stop talking to people like that. Those two things aren't the same. They are in story terms quite simple to understand One is a box that travels through time and space and another is a piece of paper that can be used for any fake ID. These monsters were not explained properly. How did they absorb the energy from the TARDIS. Where did that energy go? Why did they travel in 3 dimensions if they thought it was a 2D universe? Why did they make the exterior of the TARDIS smaller when their power seems to be making 3D objects 2D? If the writer explained his ideas better then it would have improved the story.

Considering you said the sonic was used too much how did that have anything to do with the questions above?
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    The first one certainly was significant :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A113

I thought it worked very well. Obviously Peter C was just on one set for most of it and it didn't really feel 'lite', even less so than The Girl Who Waited, when Matt was off filming Closing Time. Very cleverly done. (different approach to Blink, or Turn Left. Still, they were great!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These monsters were not explained properly.

They were beings from a 2D universe trying to invade a 3D universe

How did they absorb the energy from the TARDIS. Where did that energy go?

Presumably they had sufficiently advanced 2D technology to be able to break through into the 3D universe and suck energy into their equipment that the used to break into the 3D universe. The energy will have gone into powering whatever tech they had to make them 3D beings.
    Why did they make the exterior of the TARDIS smaller when their power seems to be making 3D objects 2D?

Because it made for a great story...that is it...that is all.
    If the writer explained his ideas better then it would have improved the story.

No, it wouldn't. It would have meant the show would be full of exposition which isn't needed and removed any wonder and reduced the scariness as well as spoon-feeding the audience and treating them like stupid people who can not fill in blanks themselves where the blanks do not matter.

Essentially, it was an alien invasion episode by beings we do not understand but the Dr repelled them and saved the Earth.
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It never fails to amaze me how some people over analyse an episode so much, that it actually stops them from enjoying it. It's a forty-five minute TV show about an imaginary man: why can't you fill in the bits you don't understand with your own imagination, instead of complaining about it?

Anyway, another great episode. Good supporting characters and I'm liking the interaction between Clara and The Doctor. I voted excellent because I thought, on this occasion, it deserved it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »

No, it wouldn't. It would have meant the show would be full of exposition which isn't needed and removed any wonder and reduced the scariness as well as spoon-feeding the audience and treating them like stupid people who can not fill in blanks themselves where the blanks do not matter.

Essentially, it was an alien invasion episode by beings we do not understand but the Dr repelled them and saved the Earth.

Well unlike you I want to understand them and I don't understand why it would remove any wonder or scariness of the monsters. Also it wouldn't take up much time either I consider it lazy writing to be honest. If the Tenth Planet gets slated for Mondas absorbing Energy of the Earth this deserves to get slated as well.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    These monsters were not explained properly. How did they absorb the energy from the TARDIS. Where did that energy go? Why did they travel in 3 dimensions if they thought it was a 2D universe? Why did they make the exterior of the TARDIS smaller when their power seems to be making 3D objects 2D? If the writer explained his ideas better then it would have improved the story.

They were explained

They adsorbed it because they were monsters who used dimensions and the TARDIS is a a piece of tec that is bursting with dimensions in fact it's what the D stands for

The energy went into them and whatever tec they had

They had figured out we lived in a 3D universe by then

Again it wad due to them draining the energy from the TARDIS and taking control of it's dimensions.

They were all explained very clearly
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, I am red hot on them leaving glaring gaps in story logic that the audience have to fill in themselves but I think you are looking for unnecessary exposition here.

None if your questions add anything to the story and the lack of obvious answers takes nothing away.

For me this was a story about 2D creatures finding a 3D universe, exploring it then adapting to it. They were draining "dimensional" energy from the Tardis which resulted in one of its dimensions shrinking..they couldn't make it 2D because it's bigger on the inside.

Felt all that self evident...how did they absorb energy...I don't care !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jimbo_bob wrote: »
    It never fails to amaze me how some people over analyse an episode so much, that it actually stops them from enjoying it. It's a forty-five minute TV show about an imaginary man: why can't you fill in the bits you don't understand with your own imagination, instead of complaining about it?

Anyway, another great episode. Good supporting characters and I'm liking the interaction between Clara and The Doctor. I voted excellent because I thought, on this occasion, it deserved it.

Yeah like something was the wrong shape the colour the wrong accent. Why are they so pedantic
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this one - voted Excellent, probably for the first time since "Blink". Only downside is the role of Danny (ie why???) but Ive got a funny feeling there's more to his character then meets the eye...........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were explained

They adsorbed it because they were monsters who used dimensions and the TARDIS is a a piece of tec that is bursting with dimensions in fact it's what the D stands for

The energy went into them and whatever tec they had

They had figured out we lived in a 3D universe by then

Again it wad due to them draining the energy from the TARDIS and taking control of it's dimensions.

They were all explained very clearly

The monsters could have absorbed an extremely small amount of the energy but I dread to imagine what the mass of any technology they must have used is. Its funny that they had an episode about the dangers of supposedly large increases in mass but can get away with it in other episodes.

If they figured out the 3D Universe why did they believe Humans were 2D at that point?

The TARDIS has 3 Dimensions I would hardly call that bursting with dimensions. You could say I was bursting with dimensions. How can you use dimensions?

So no it is not a clear explanation
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The monsters could have absorbed an extremely small amount of the energy but I dread to imagine what the mass of any technology they must have used is. Its funny that they had an episode about the dangers of supposedly large increases in mass but can get away with it in other episodes.

If they figured out the 3D Universe why did they believe Humans were 2D at that point?

The TARDIS has 3 Dimensions I would hardly call that bursting with dimensions. You could say I was bursting with dimensions. How can you use dimensions?

So no it is not a clear explanation

It was explained by then they worked out humans were 3D

The TARDIS has more than 3 dimensions that is one of the reasons it's bigger on the inside again why you think the D is TARDIS stands for dimensions The Doctor even said The Time Lords are the masters of dimensions and that's what annoyed him and it appeared someone knew even more then him/them .
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    Loved this episode.

2M65. Any significance with the trains headcode?...probably not. :D

It was a late afternoon stopping pssenger service terminating in the Midland region :)

As for in-Who significance, there doesn't seem to be anything relevant about February 1965. Unless...

No, not Steven Moffat's birthday!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was explained by then they worked out humans were 3D

The TARDIS has more than 3 dimensions that is one of the reasons it's bigger on the inside again why you think the D is TARDIS stands for dimensions The Doctor even said The Time Lords are the masters of dimensions and that's what annoyed him and it appeared someone knew even more then him/them .

The TARDIS has 3 dimensions. Any point in the TARDIS can be located using 3 coordinates. The R and the D in the TARDIS refers to the fact that the inside is bigger than the outside and dimensions in that sense refer to size not the mathematical definition of dimension.

As for your first point no because the Doctor was saying they thought humans were hand prints and foot prints or something similar after they first travelled in 3 dimensions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The TARDIS has 3 dimensions. Any point in the TARDIS can be located using 3 coordinates. The R and the D in the TARDIS refers to the fact that the inside is bigger than the outside and dimensions in that sense refer to size not the mathematical definition of dimensions.

It was still explained by The Doctor they were changing the dimensions of The TARDIS it couldn't go flat so it shrank plus the outside of the TARDIS is not smaller it only appears that way like the weight only appears to be lighter

The outside is just as much of a different dimension to the outside that's why when the doors were open they could control the inside to when closed only the outside until they worked out how to brake in.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know why the psychic paper didn't work on the grumpy supervisor?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »

He had no imagination.

That or the time Batman threatened him and whacked him it did something to his brain
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No imagination I think was the explanation. The bloke was properly joyless!
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He was so completely devoid of imagination that he just didn't see anything at all. Thought that was quite a funny bit. :)

The 'Thing from Adams Family' bits and the 'Clara gets sledgehammer out of handbag' moment made me chuckle too.

Edit: Oh, I was a bit slow there. :D
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything solved by a sonic screwdriver again.