Options

Jay James Accused Of 'Ripping Off' Version Of 500 Miles

ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
Forum Member
✭✭
According to TellyMix a number of viewers commented that Jay ripped off that version of 500 Miles from the group Sleeping At Last http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ6wJqaE6o4&feature=youtu.be

I also think Simon is a fan of the film Sunshine On Leith as the first part of the song in that is exactly the same as the 'genius' version Jay sang. ;-)

Comments

• Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting boring now.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's obvious. They did it last week with lauren and now with this. Is there no originality left?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who doesn't care at all, and doesn't expect the versions of the songs to be totally unique and never performed before?
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    According to TellyMix a number of viewers commented that Jay ripped off that version of 500 Miles from the group Sleeping At Last http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ6wJqaE6o4&feature=youtu.be

I also think Simon is a fan of the film Sunshine On Leith as the first part of the song in that is exactly the same as the 'genius' version Jay sang. ;-)

Wonder if that is where Jake got his Total Eclipse from?
  • Options
    red_amberred_amber Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOZ! wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't care at all, and doesn't expect the versions of the songs to be totally unique and never performed before?

I don't care either. Jay was amazing last night
  • Options
    crinolinecrinoline Posts: 184
    Forum Member

Nope, I agree with you 100%
  • Options
    Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,241
    Forum Member

Oh for goodness sake, who cares? It's no different to doing covers of songs.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Whatever it was it was shit and lost the joy of the original - more like a death march
  • Options
    Forum Member

It might be nit picking but it is a bit off to praise contestants for "making it their own" and "putting their own twist" on a song when they have blatantly ripped off another act. Both Jay and Jake ripped off their performances from Sleeping At Last. It would have been more honest to have said so or at least not pretended that it was all their own work.
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like TPTB don't know that Google exists. Ripping arrangements off will fly half a decade ago but it's not gonna fly now.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    earldbest wrote: »
    It's like TPTB don't know that Google exists. Ripping arrangements off will fly half a decade ago but it's not gonna fly now.

this

its always been done but its only really now people are becoming more aware of it
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh for goodness sake, who cares? It's no different to doing covers of songs.

Obviously some people do care when they are led to believe that the arrangement of said song was done by the singer singing it and how 'genius' said arrangement was when it is clear Simon or someone to do with Jay has trawled through Youtube for that version..
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are at least two of us.
  • Options
    aggielaneaggielane Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member

I dont have a problem with anybody doing any version or variation of a song. Just dont claim it was your idea and ignore the person who really thought of it.
  • Options
    crinolinecrinoline Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »
    It might be nit picking but it is a bit off to praise contestants for "making it their own" and "putting their own twist" on a song when they have blatantly ripped off another act. Both Jay and Jake ripped off their performances from Sleeping At Last. It would have been more honest to have said so or at least not pretended that it was all their own work.
    Obviously some people do care when they are led to believe that the arrangement of said song was done by the singer singing it and how 'genius' said arrangement was when it is clear Simon or someone to do with Jay has trawled through Youtube for that version..

I usually take all this with a pinch of salt, maybe I have low expectations of the contestants but I don't think very many of them are up to doing a whole new arrangement of a song, not this year or any year.

I think the whole "making it their own" thing is what they say when they think a contestant has given a believable performance rather than a karaoke kind of thing, it's one of those silly stock phrases that they all trot out, particularly Louis.

Re: the genius comment from Simon, I interpreted that as a genius *choice* of song and arrangement.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Its the same as last week, Laurens "Happy/Teardrop" mashup was a direct copy of Foxes Radio 1 Live Lounge performance from the start of the year. It wouldn't matter so much if they didn't pretend that these singers had spent the week creating it
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The thing with Simon is he expects people to agree with him and gets annoyed if they don't. He really can't understand that people have different tastes.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's obvious. They did it last week with lauren and now with this. Is there no originality left?

Not really. Everything has been done before in some form.
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    Whether it was original or not, the question is did he do it well, and I say, yes he did!
  • Options
    Arnostae's MumArnostae's Mum Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He obviously impressed enough people to get them buying it. It's just been played as number 10 in the hot40
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He obviously impressed enough people to get them buying it. It's just been played as number 10 in the hot40

Doesn't mean it is any less shite or complete rip off though. :p
  • Options
    Pimlico_PassPimlico_Pass Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he didn`t rip anything off.

How many versions have you heard of I will always love you and hallelujah that sounded the same as somebody elses.?
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »

Exactly this is what really annoyed me.
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he was trending last nyt
  • Options
    Dextor_MorganDextor_Morgan Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he'd have sung it as well as that version I'd have liked it.