Options

Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    Yes .. I don't think the sentence will be the end of things .. I think we're only just beginning :o This could run and run (no OP pun intended :blush: )

Please God no. I cannot bear it. I need a life before it's too late.
  • Options
    Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,689
    Forum Member
    What happens if both sides appeal? If Masipa gives a custodial sentence of less than 10 years, I think OP will appeal because he doesn't want to spend even one night in jail and Nel will appeal because the sentence hasn't made up for the verdict being wrong.

I can't see Nel appealing if she gives a custodial sentence.........
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClaireCh wrote: »
    hopefully leave to appeal will be sought by Nel too.....

I really feel there will be an appeal Claire.

I'm not sure of the grounds though by the state.

I've looked at the whole trial and then verdict and I'm not sure if the state may have more than one point in their favour. It's the confusion the judge has caused and its effects on SA law in more ways than one IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moody Blue wrote: »

If it's thought Masipa got the judgment wrong then he must appeal. He has a duty to the state to rectify it.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Clearly not OP that's for sure. He is a poor victim of a series of unfortunate incidents. :confused:

Its that Kenneth Williams infamy moment again.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvs4bOMv5Xw
  • Options
    ClaireChClaireCh Posts: 5,899
    Forum Member
    What happens if both sides appeal? If Masipa gives a custodial sentence of less than 10 years, I think OP will appeal because he doesn't want to spend even one night in jail and Nel will appeal because the sentence hasn't made up for the verdict being wrong.

it's hard to think of any grounds for OP to appeal. he risks getting a harsher sentence if he does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »
    Its that Kenneth Williams infamy moment again.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvs4bOMv5Xw

Haha, loved Keneth Williams. :D
  • Options
    wackywwackyw Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is it .. no going back. But Roux and others go on about him losing everything etc .. as if it was somebody else's fault!

Who is to blame for his current situation?

Well, he should appreciate that he had it in the first place, and that it afforded him the best defence available too. If the same scenario had happened to someone without "everything" then bail, the trial, verdicts, and sentence could be very different. You should not be able to offset losing financially against a prison sentence, the Duke of Westminster could murder thousands :D

However Masipa doesn't want to punish him twice, I hope she doesn't regard the situation he has found himself in, and contributed to it's duration, as punishment already. But we'll see.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is it .. no going back. But Roux and others go on about him losing everything etc .. as if it was somebody else's fault!

Who is to blame for his current situation?

I still admire OP for the way he had beaten all the odds and became successful, in spite of or because of his disability - it took determination, guts and hard work to achieve his sporting success. But that is the only thing I can give him credit for.

His sporting achievements aside I see a man for whom I have very little respect for, if any. If he had manned up and taken a modicum of responsibility...
  • Options
    scruffywuffyscruffywuffy Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    bootyache wrote: »
    I already asked you to stop the nonsense.

It is not a personal matter if it happens in a public forum.

You tore into me over scruffywuffy publicaly. I will not be PM'ing you about it.

Now, I'm am fed up to the teeth of you policing this thread.

Stop it........now.

Get on with the issue of OP trial. That's what this thread is about.

Wow - I missed that !!! I did feel I was criticised for no reason for giving my own personal experience of working in a law firm and ridiculed for being a legal secretary and so chose to retreat to lurkdom because of it. It's a shame because I think the majority of the posters are great, regardless of their opinions, and for the most part this thread is a friendly place.

But enough - back to lurkdom.
  • Options
    stressfree_manstressfree_man Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes .. I don't think the sentence will be the end of things .. I think we're only just beginning :o This could run and run (no OP pun intended :blush: )

I deffo think that those in DS forums who are vexed that this thread has been at the top of their page too long and expect it to expire soon will be sorely disappointed :p
    I will wager it rolling on until next May.
    What am I bid?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucy777 wrote: »
    Really? I'm beginning to wonder where you get your kicks.

When I am not posting in this thread I mostly dwell in the depths of depravity.
    All are welcome :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow - I missed that !!! I did feel I was criticised for no reason for giving my own personal experience of working in a law firm and ridiculed for being a legal secretary and so chose to retreat to lurkdom because of it. It's a shame because I think the majority of the posters are great, regardless of their opinions, and for the most part this thread is a friendly place.

Well, if you were ridiculed is was not by me.

Now if you don't mind, don't use one of my posts to make a point that has nothing to do with me.

And just for your information, I complimented you on your job.

Now enough.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It baffles me why some people are not prepared to entertain the notion that OP did murder Reeva after an altercation. We do have evidence of her fearing him and of his controlling nature. God knows what other evidence was cleared from the other phone by OP and his brother?
    With OP's testimony being so full of contradictions.lies, the implausible and differing plea's it is a travesty that the panel threw out all evidence that harmed his bullshit defense.
    I agree that there is strong evidence that he is trigger happy and more than willing to confront a spinning washing machine. But that could have been simple showing off and bravado in order to impress his guest.
    I am confident that he will be given at least 5 years but if he does not he still has to live with his demons which could tip him over the edge.
    So I am content if prison time is not served even though it would be unjust for him not too

Yes well, my point about the washing machine was that mistake should have been a learning experience that not every noise in the night is an ominous one. Unless he had PTSD at the time, and we are told he didn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    I still admire OP for the way he had beaten all the odds and became successful, in spite of or because of his disability - it took determination, guts and hard work to achieve his sporting success. But that is the only thing I can give him credit for.

His sporting achievements aside I see a man for whom I have very little respect for, if any. If he had manned up and taken a modicum of responsibility...

I think that's my problem too. An element of responsibility and stoicism would have made a huge diffrence to how the public have seen him and judged him. He. Has become less and less heroic as time has gone by. The crying and snivelling, the lies and prevarication , the using his disability and finally his loss of money does not add up to a very pretty picture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I deffo think that those in DS forums who are vexed that this thread has been at the top of their page too long and expect it to expire soon will be sorely disappointed :p
    I will wager it rolling on until next May.
    What am I bid?

I'll go along with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, loved Keneth Williams. :D

His diaries is one of the best Autobiographies that I have read,and I have read many.
    Spike Milligan's war diaries are up there too
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's thought Masipa got the judgment wrong then he must appeal. He has a duty to the state to rectify it.

I suppose he will consult with the family and make a decision based on what prospects any appeal would offer. Remember.. theres a risk that with appeal things could get worse for the state not better. Perhaps if the judge does give 10 years he will accept that's the best they could really hope for in terms of punishment. If there were a chance of them proving he knew it was Reeva and some key evidence had been missed then I agree he'd probably go all out for an appeal.
  • Options
    ClaireChClaireCh Posts: 5,899
    Forum Member
    I really feel there will be an appeal Claire.

I'm not sure of the grounds though by the state.

I've looked at the whole trial and then verdict and I'm not sure if the state may have more than one point in their favour. It's the confusion the judge has caused and its effects on SA law in more ways than one IMO.

well I believe the ammo verdict needs to be overturned pronto.

and I also don't think they can afford to leave it on the books that firing multiple shots at a person who cannot escape is not deemed to be intent to kill.

but we will see. not long now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    I'm hoping so booty. I think the case started beginning of March(?) it just seems so much longer than that.

I'm just hoping no one suddenly comes along either the state or defence and produces some kinda expert on sentencing to advise the judge. :o

:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really regret that posters feel intimidated away from posting. If it was not for differing opinions then a forum will not work.
    However I feel that confrontation is also healthy for debate as long as it is not personal and balanced with a degree of respect.
    Forum's are not for everyone and sometimes posters need to grow some :)
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    His diaries is one of the best Autobiographies that I have read,and I have read many.
    Spike Milligan's war diaries are up there too

The bible according to Spike Milligan is one of my favourites. :D
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just hoping no one suddenly comes along either the state or defence and produces some kinda expert on sentencing to advise the judge. :o

:D:D

Haven't a clue how things work legally etc but surely Judges have some sort of supervisory body etc where they can get advice etc (I doubt Judges know every aspect of law inside and out)...perhaps because of the negativity the Judge seems to have attracted there are some already in the wings...

You never know an adviser could advise a hefty jail term.
  • Options
    Ian _ LIan _ L Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Khalil Subjee already has the kettle on for his new neighbour .complete with extra extra sugar.
    So I heard ;-)

Just got the sugar reference :o ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moody Blue wrote: »

I can Moody. Even if it is 5 years he has solid grounds to feel confident of being successful. I would guess that he has the backing of most of the SA judiciary because she made errors on the safe/ammo charge as well as errors in how she came to the CH finding. These things need clarity for future cases and if that is not obtained it will play havock with case laws in future as well as give cart blanche to lawyers and criminals in future
This discussion has been closed.