Options

The 1975 EEC /EU Referendum results Map

HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you look at the map one thing strikes you...

There is a big slab of the North that voted as if it was Surrey...
Really odd.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum%2C_1975_results.png/250px-United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum%2C_1975_results.png

(the higher the number the more in favour the area was of the EEC - Eg Surrey, Sussex and a big slab of the North really went for it...

Comments

• Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    HillmanImp wrote: »

What is the map actually showing?

I'd like to know. I voted in 1975.
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a referendum on the "Common Market" not the "EU"

The EU did not exist in 1973, it just morphed itself into existence
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    What is the map actually showing?

I'd like to know. I voted in 1975.

The bigger the percentage, (top left) the bigger the YES to EEC/EU

So NORTH and SURREY and WEST SUSSEX were 85% totally YES
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,610
    Forum Member
    Pretty green map
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The strange thing in those days was that the left was generally anti Europe and the right pro Europe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    It was a referendum on the "Common Market" not the "EU"

The EU did not exist in 1973, it just morphed itself into existence

The Euro Parliament existed since 1958 so people knew the score. It was not rocket science.
    If you let another parliament have a say, it will. We knew that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattN wrote: »
    The strange thing in those days was that the left was generally anti Europe and the right pro Europe

Clearly not in the Shetlands! NO voters to a man! and that is about the most liberal place in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Euro Parliament existed since 1958 so people knew the score. It was not rocket science.

"There are some in this country who fear that in going into Europe we shall in some way sacrifice independence and sovereignty. These fears, I need hardly say, are completely unjustified." - Traitor Ted Heath
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    While I do understand the reasons as for why the UK should leave the EU, don't you think it's a bit selfish to only want the common market, but not everything else that follows it, like migrations and the whole EU package. I don't think that UK or any other european country to that matter is in a position to pick and choose. Either you are a member of the EU, which includes the common market amongst other things, or you are out of it completely. You can't say we want to be part of the common market but that's it. By saying this, I'm not saying that UK should stay in the union if brits are not happy, I'm just saying once you leave you have to leave it all including the single market agreement.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well Heath and the rest of the 'in' crowd spent the whole of the campaign telling us that it would only ever be a trading area and ridiculing anyone who suggested otherwise. I still voted 'out'.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look at the map one thing strikes you...

There is a big slab of the North that voted as if it was Surrey...
    Really odd.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum%2C_1975_results.png/250px-United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum%2C_1975_results.png

(the higher the number the more in favour the area was of the EEC - Eg Surrey, Sussex and a big slab of the North really went for it...

The 'big slab' of the north is largely Tory voting North Yorkshire. What the map shows is that agricultural Tory counties were the pro-EEC areas. The loads of money the EEC lavished on the agricultural community may have had a bearing on the high pro votes in those areas.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    clinch wrote: »
    Well Heath and the rest of the 'in' crowd spent the whole of the campaign telling us that it would only ever be a trading area and ridiculing anyone who suggested otherwise. I still voted 'out'.

Basically everything that people were worried about has come true. of course back then people who voiced their concerns were dismissed as euro skeptics, then bigots and now racists.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that referendum well. Run by a Labour government. The main argument against was that it would become the united states of Europe, and the argument for was that it was bigger and more committal than the European Free Trade Area, which we were in.

So what is currently said by the far right, that it was the left opposed in those days, that we were not told it would be a political union as well as economic, are total rubbish.

What I didn't expect is that when it got much bigger, as it has become, it would be a two tier arrangement with Britain etc. on the fringe and some others more central in a monetary union. The British media though, being uniformly anti-Europe, keep staunchly off this fact, partly because it was G. Brown who largely caused it, and partly because they want us entirely separate as an independent little right wing monarchy. They won't get it because it is loony.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you provide a quote from that era from a UK pro EEC politician who said we will become a province of the EU superstate?, with no control over our borders, that mass migration from the Eastern provinces will be a "good thing" ?
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    While I do understand the reasons as for why the UK should leave the EU, don't you think it's a bit selfish to only want the common market, but not everything else that follows it, like migrations and the whole EU package. I don't think that UK or any other european country to that matter is in a position to pick and choose. Either you are a member of the EU, which includes the common market amongst other things, or you are out of it completely. You can't say we want to be part of the common market but that's it. By saying this, I'm not saying that UK should stay in the union if brits are not happy, I'm just saying once you leave you have to leave it all including the single market agreement.

That's not correct, there are other countries that have trade agreements with the EU with none of the freedom of movement rules or having to pay large dues into EU coffers.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member

I was only 19 at the time and voted "in" as it seemed to be the future. Don't forget 1975 was only 30 years after World War 2 ended, everybody over 40 at the time had a memory of the war and there were still many people alive who had memories of World War 1. Also the british economy wasn't doing very well back then, I can recall a scheme in 1974 when workers were receiving regular pay rises due to high inflation and the 1973 oll shock did not help. There was a desire to "catch up" with Germany, there was a feeling that "we won the war and they won the peace".

I vaguely remember some people saying the "Common Market" was worth it "to avoid another war", but my memories of that time are that the main issue was trade. The "iron Curtain" was still in place and the USSR seemed rock solid at the time. Nobody had any idea the Warsaw Pact would collapse 15 years later and I don't recall any talk of a single currency at the time.

I still have no objections to what I voted for back then, unfortunately the "Common Market" has now evolved into something quite different from what we were sold then and I think another referendum is long overdue. I will be voting to leave.

Feeling a bit depressed. I remember 1975! I am getting old:D. Good year for music though.
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member

The vote was about staying in the Common Market (European Community). There is not one word about a European Parliament in the booklet issued by the government and sent to voters.

People thought they were simply voting for a common market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Abba bring out Waterloo in 1975 ?

Love to have another crack at the buggers (The French not Abba)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have a look at this joint appearance by Margaret Thatcher & Edward heath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZxzw41HpiE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did Abba bring out Waterloo in 1975 ?

Love to have another crack at the buggers (The French not Abba)

No that was 1974, Eurovision song Contest in Brighton.
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member

My mother voted "out" too. In fact she told me that she'd never met anyone who had voted to stay in.
  • Options
    MagnamundianMagnamundian Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting to see the result for many labour areas where traditionally you could pin a red rosette on a donkey and it would get elected. If UKIP get momentum (and I mean late twenties pollings) some of these areas could turn.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    My mother voted "out" too. In fact she told me that she'd never met anyone who had voted to stay in.

I guess your mother didn't get out much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "There are some in this country who fear that in going into Europe we shall in some way sacrifice independence and sovereignty. These fears, I need hardly say, are completely unjustified." - Traitor Ted Heath

So? The other side said "they were justified"...
    We had the choice

You're as bad as the SNP, keep voting until get the vote you want.