Options

The Shrien Dewani Trial

Comments

• Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Sneha is saying that Anni was happy and sincere when they married, which goes against the claim that Anni said they were acting for the cameras.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Sneha is saying that Anni was happy and sincere when they married, which goes against the claim that Anni said they were acting for the cameras.

Its diffiicult from reading the tweets but my intepretation of what she was saying was about her whole feelings about the marriage per se, not the wedding itself. I can imagine she was trying to believe she was happy and genuine and that she had done the right thing so was sincere in that way, but on the actual day was 'acting' her happiness. Maybe they had rowed again.
  • Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the bits that got me from today's session was the suggestion by Shrien's lawyer that family members may have instructed lawyers to write letters without his consent.

I think a poster suggested at the start of the trial that family members who weren't on trial were going to be thrown under the bus. Seems s/he was right!
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    So the question regarding trying for a baby is being thrown about. Sneha says Anni would have told her if she was trying for a baby, Judge is presented with a Drs report saying that there was record of them trying for a baby. Sneha denies this and says Anni remained on the pill.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    End-Em-All wrote: »
    One of the bits that got me from today's session was the suggestion by Shrien's lawyer that family members may have instructed lawyers to write letters without his consent.

I think a poster suggested at the start of the trial that family members who weren't on trial were going to be thrown under the bus. Seems s/he was right!

I missed that, what bit was that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the question regarding trying for a baby is being thrown about. Sneha says Anni would have told her if she was trying for a baby, Judge is presented with a Drs report saying that there was record of them trying for a baby. Sneha denies this and says Anni remained on the pill.....

I was a abit confused by that, I thought they got married in India, spent about 3 days at that wedding, a few days after they went to SA. Is that right? If so, how on earth had she already visited doctors to talk about starting a family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think this could be crucial for the defence. They have to show the court that Sneha and Anni weren't as close as Sneha makes out.

As for the doctor's report, I wonder which doctor it was i.e. Swedish or British and how the information was obtained.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who was the Dr? Surely Anni's doctor would know if she was still on the pill. Also, as they had just got married would they be trying for a baby so soon? Especially if Anni was as unhappy as suggested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I missed that, what bit was that?

I was following it on the Mirror website:

Accused letter

Van Zyl: "He did not tell them about the money he had with him and that was the reason they were attacked.

"And that is why he didn't mention that fact to you.

"The letter from the solicitors. The accused will tell the court that the letter was not written on his instruction."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/shrien-dewani-trial-recap-updates-4467134
  • Options
    musingmusing Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lynwood3 wrote: »
    You can follow the case on twitter. I am following LA.JANSEN.
    They are at tea at the moment.
    Anni's cousin has just been sworn in.

Nick Parkes (Sun reporter) has given evidence this morning.
    He interviewed SD after he had engaged Max Clifford.
    The most significant fact to come out of his evidence was that despite an in depth interview, there was no mention of the helicopter trip.

BIB - Yes, and now Sneha has also testified that, in the meeting when Dewani explained to the Hindocha family what happened, he never mentioned the surprise helicopter trip or the money supposedly given to Tongo to arrange it.
  • Options
    hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    musing wrote: »
    BIB - Yes, and now Sneha has also testified that, in the meeting when Dewani explained to the Hindocha family what happened, he never mentioned the surprise helicopter trip or the money supposedly given to Tongo to arrange it.

The reason put forward by Dewani's barrister is that Dewani didn't mention the helicopter money because he knew that they had been attacked because of the money. Shame and guilt prevented him from mentioning it.

He had an answer for everything.

How reasonable that answer is depends on where you're coming from I suppose.

Doesn't explain why he didn't mention the money to the police, or journalists before Tongo was arrested because before that point Dewani would still have had no suspicions about the driver and therefore no reason to believe they were targeted because of the helicopter money.
  • Options
    coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know if SD is going to take the stand?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason put forward by Dewani's barrister is that Dewani didn't mention the helicopter money because he knew that they had been attacked because of the money. Shame and guilt prevented him from mentioning it.

He had an answer for everything.

How reasonable that answer is depends on where you're coming from I suppose.

Doesn't explain why he didn't mention the money to the police, or journalists before Tongo was arrested because before that point Dewani would still have had no suspicions about the driver and therefore no reason to believe they were targeted because of the helicopter money.

Yes, and I don't think Dewani started using the helicopter story until at least two years after the killing.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very frustrating following on twitter. There must be a better transcription of the trial .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coolmum123 wrote: »
    Do we know if SD is going to take the stand?

Well his lawyer keeps saying "the accused will testify that ......." so I presume he will take the stand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    End-Em-All wrote: »
    I was following it on the Mirror website:

Accused letter

Van Zyl: "He did not tell them about the money he had with him and that was the reason they were attacked.

"And that is why he didn't mention that fact to you.

"The letter from the solicitors. The accused will tell the court that the letter was not written on his instruction."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/shrien-dewani-trial-recap-updates-4467134

I will try this tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and I don't think Dewani started using the helicopter until at least two tears after the killing.

Quite Freudian there as in it took a long time for SD to shred real tears.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    It's very frustrating following on twitter. There must be a better transcription of the trial .

I think the EWN live blog has been quite good.

http://ewn.co.za/Features/dewani-live-blog
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    Quite Freudian there as in it took a long time for SD to shred real tears.

Ha ha, thanks.
    Now corrected.

PS: just noticed your "shred" :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, thanks.
    Now corrected :)
    couldn't resist ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took against SD when I heard Anni's cousin talk about his behaviour with Anni's body. It must have been so distressing for her family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the EWN live blog has been quite good.

http://ewn.co.za/Features/dewani-live-blog

Cheers for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, thanks.
    Now corrected.

PS: just noticed your "shred" :)

:p
    Not sure what the Freudian interpretation of that would be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    His part WAS less. Yes, he was the person who connected Tongo to Qwabe, but he shared phone numbers. He wasn't at the scene of the crime, unlike all four of the others.

Of course it's morally wrong, but legally it's unlikely that he could safely be convicted of murder. He could claim that the calls were about anything at all.

This way he has no reason to lie.
    There is nothing in the public domain about a connection between the cases except for the obvious, the Dewanis.

To contextualise two of the conspirators coming from the same place:

So it's rare to find a black Capetonian without a connection to the Eastern Cape.

Thanks for this info agentb.
    I am still not content with the idea that it was Dewani who asked Tongo to murder his wife.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Considering he wasn't in the car when she was shot, how could he possibly know that? He was either there when she was shot and knew that or he wasn't and is just guessing.

Or Anni was screaming before he was seemingly ejected through the window, or perhaps Tongo told him.