Options

Driver Tells Gay Couple “Get Off The Bus”

Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
Forum Member
✭✭
A gay couple told of their anger after they were thrown off a London bus by a driver who gave them a volley of homophobic abuse for kissing.

Jack James, 23, and his partner were on a number 89 bus near Blackheath when the driver ordered them off following an anti-gay rant, they claim.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/my-bus-my-rules-what-driver-told-kissing-gay-couple-before-he-kicked-them-off-9805086.html

http://www.lbc.co.uk/driver-tells-gay-couple-get-off-the-bus-98978

Should the driver get the sack or go for a diversity training?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why was the driver watching two of his passengers instead of doing something eccentric like watching the road? It should be counted as a complaint and investigated, obviously. Presumably if it is found to be true they have disciplinary procedures that stop short of the sack.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely the best thing would be to wait until both sides are looked in to, I struggle to see how a driver driving a bus could have noticed a peck on the lips.

But before suggesting sacking or diversity training I think the bus company should be allowed to investigate and view the CCTV, we cannnot keep automatically siding with complainants without allowing the accused person a chance to explain or provide evidence for their case.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the driver was alarmed that he was actually getting off on it, and flew into a bitter rage?:p
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If true he should be disciplined. I think sacking might be appropriate as you shouldn't need to be told that you can't abuse customers for being gay and a straight couple would never be kicked off a bus even for a full on snog.
  • Options
    BigNipperBigNipper Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Maybe he didn't want to see two men kissing.

It don't make him some evil prick.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigNipper wrote: »

Then perhaps he should isolate himself from society.

Otherwise tough titties.
  • Options
    jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
    Forum Member

He is there to drive a bus not monitor who is kissing, if he cannot handle the diverse passengers he is in the wrong job.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual, there will be more to this story that we are being told. I'm going with they'll claim it was a peck on the lips, but in reality they were trying to taste what each other had for breakfast. Then when someone complained about not wanting their young children to see such acts and the driver had had a word the gay card was whipped out faster than a choir boy at a Church orgy.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By it does mean he shouldn't be in a job where he might have to see such sights. Maybe he should get a job in a shop....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »

Otherwise tough titties.
    The Gay Lobby - Demanding of tolerance yet totally intolerant .........................
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »

Otherwise tough titties.

So long as he keeps those thoughts to himself and doesn't let it affect his job (which in this case he has failed badly) then he should be fine.

Sometimes I have trouble seeing a man and a woman kissing. Tough luck for me too. :p
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it difficult to understand what would be so shocking to the everyday London bus driver, who will see all sorts of things in his work.

Therefore Im wondering what actually happened. This bloke is now said to be 'on leave' and I wonder if he had some sort o breakdown prompting his outburst. Apparently his employer will raise this issue with him on his return which makes me think his leave is not about the incident.

He also doesnt seem to have chucked them off, they got off at their stop.

Did he object to overly sexualised behaviour, whatever the sexuality of the participants or is he just a raging bigot.

Time will tell Im sure.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sinistra wrote: »
    The Gay Lobby - Demanding of tolerance yet totally intolerant .........................

You've sussed them out :cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was the driver watching two of his passengers instead of doing something eccentric like watching the road? It should be counted as a complaint and investigated, obviously. Presumably if it is found to be true they have disciplinary procedures that stop short of the sack.
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Surely the best thing would be to wait until both sides are looked in to, I struggle to see how a driver driving a bus could have noticed a peck on the lips.

But before suggesting sacking or diversity training I think the bus company should be allowed to investigate and view the CCTV, we cannnot keep automatically siding with complainants without allowing the accused person a chance to explain or provide evidence for their case.

Yep, what both of these said.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I find it difficult to understand what would be so shocking to the everyday London bus driver, who will see all sorts of things in his work.

Therefore Im wondering what actually happened. This bloke is now said to be 'on leave' and I wonder if he had some sort o breakdown prompting his outburst. Apparently his employer will raise this issue with him on his return which makes me think his leave is not about the incident.

He also doesnt seem to have chucked them off, they got off at their stop.

Did he object to overly sexualised behaviour, whatever the sexuality of the participants or is he just a raging bigot.

Time will tell Im sure.

The situation is sounding less and less what the OP Title suggests though I confess I have not read the links.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I think at the very least he should be named and have his picture put in the newspapers online. That alone should cause him and his family enough embaressment among their neighbours and let them know what kind of family they live next to.

Punishment by all means, but just enough to shake their real life just like he affected their real life.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    hazydayz wrote: »
    I think at the very least he should be named and have his picture put in the newspapers online. That alone should cause him and his family enough embaressment among their neighbours and let them know what kind of family they live next to.

Punishment by all means, but just enough to shake their real life just like he affected their real life.

Why stop there? Bring back the stocks. And scrap this trial business, just shoot from the hip.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hhmmm .. definitely one of those stories where I'd say there's a lot we're not being told.

If, however, it is as it says on the tin and the account is accurate then I'd certainly have no qualms about suspending the driver pending some diversity training. In the current employment climate, I wouldn't personally want his ignorance to cost him his job, especially if he has a family to support.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

It doesn't make him evil, no. But it only requires a modicum of intelligence to realise that just because you are the bus driver, you cannot dictate what customers do *unless* it is something illegal or causing a nuisance. Whilst PDAs are not everyone's cup of tea, they happen and are legal and I suspect are not against the conditions of carriage. As such it would be nothing to do with the driver.
    As others have said, though, it's up to the operator to investigate the claim and decide if a disciplinary action is warranted.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that's the worst thing the driver has ever seen I assume he's never done night shifts on a weekend.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does the media always claim that people are 'thrown off' or 'thrown out' of vehicles or places, when actually they are simply asked or at worst told to leave?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    If that's the worst thing the driver has ever seen I assume he's never done night shifts on a weekend.

That's what I'm thinking.

I once read a blog by an anonymous London bus driver who shared his experiences of working on a night-bus route. Drunk passengers--some vomited; heroin takers, quarrelsome pensioners, fighting couples, children who were accidentally left behind, bad singers, lost and often odd property, etc. If those stories are true, all bus drivers have my respect.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you work with the public, you cannot choose who to serve, and who not to serve....
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on buses before where couples have been basically dry humping on the seats. I wish they had been asked to leave tbh, so if a nauseating PDA was actually the driver's problem then I wouldn't be too hard on him, but he probably would need to face some kind of action. Sometimes there is more to these stories than is reported. If it simply was that his poor widdle masculinity was threatened by two men showing each other affection then he should be fired. Imagine if he decided he didn't want a black person on "his bus".
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Why does the media always claim that people are 'thrown off' or 'thrown out' of vehicles or places, when actually they are simply asked or at worst told to leave?

They're fond of emotive language because it sells stories. Also misrepresents them because it sensationalises them. "Driver verbally abuses two passengers" may be a lot closer to the truth.