Options

Elaine visiting Dean in the Toilet

Comments

• Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Birth is different as that's giving life. Just digustkg everyday stuff we all do daily is not needed

Both might be considered natural, but as a woman I prefer to do both in private thank you. I am grateful that none of my children were delivered by a male relative or neighbour...although for some, needs must:kitty:
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    Both might be considered natural, but as a woman I prefer to do both in private thank you. I am grateful that none of my children were delivered by a male relative or neighbour...although for some, needs must:kitty:

Men have no such qualms, the amount of times I've been stood at a urinal and a guy next to me has let one rip has been quite a few. Often they like to spit into it too, now I'm not a prude but I find that quite unnecessary.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Birth is almost always done with someone though. For midwives it's a job. It's not compulsory for anyone to see someone pee/take a dump or any other things we would prefer to do in private
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    In a world where women in many societies are denied basic human rights such as an education and some even take a bullet to the head when they fight for that right, we must stop and remember those brave men who fight for the right to have a piss and a dump in private. It is the Civil Rights Movement of our time.

All moot points. I'm talking about a TV show on a tv show forum.

Nice try though. Boring too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are sites for that sort of thing. Keep your dirty thoughts to yourself.

Are you talking to me? Or to the EE writers who placed a urination scene, and a woman barging into the mens toilets on TV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you so obsessed with this? I for one don't want to see Big Mo or Aunt Babe taking a pee thank you. In fact nobody looks good on the toilet so the less we see of it the better.

Why wouldn't you want to see it? I mean...Dean was in the loo...peeing, so peeing on EE is de rigeur now yes? Oh, no, it's only with men, of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure the OP was on a wind up.

No, I'm serious.

The EE female can basically do as she pleases, and no-one bats an eyelid.

If Stan Carter walks into the female toilets and begins a conversation with Whitney Dean about her treatment of Lee...what would be the response from the public

PERVERT I suspect will be the word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Birth is almost always done with someone though. For midwives it's a job. It's not compulsory for anyone to see someone pee/take a dump or any other things we would prefer to do in private

But when it comes to TV we are 100 times more likely to see a woman giving birth with someone peering up her nether regions, and often in a public place, than we are to see someone having a pee.
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With men we get remarks about their penis, with women it's their breasts. We've had young boys tittering over a topless picture from Linda's modelling days, and Phil saying it made him feel sick to make love to Shirley.

If it Shirley really made Phil physically sick, then he wouldn't have carried on. He obviously enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If it Shirley really made Phil physically sick, then he wouldn't have carried on. He obviously enjoyed it.

True. after all he'd been with her for years, and I can remember that he used to put a big smile on his face.
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And she couldn't have spoken to him in private outside the realms of the mens toilets?

Elaine suspected Dean had done something to hurt or frighten Linda, although I doubt she guessed he had raped Linda. I think Elaine followed Dean into the bathroom to make him feel as vulnerable as he had made Linda feel. Where is he going to feel more vulnerable?

I'm not saying Elaine was right to do that, but I understand why she did it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All moot points. I'm talking about a TV show on a tv show forum.

Nice try though. Boring too.

Not really, you seem to have an issue with "sexism against men", I'm bored with that too.

I suppose the fact at many men on EastEnders are portrayed as cheating, sex-obsessed morons is sexist, as somebody else said sexism is across the board. That said you don't seem that concerned with the representation of women in it.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is no place safe anymore ?
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the OP realises that there is a fundamental difference to the way men and women tend to use toilets in a public place. For male characters, there is always the option to write a scene at the urinals which are out in the open. The reason we don't see scenes like that with female characters is because they don't use urinals. They do it behind closed doors, so male characters (or female character for that matter) wouldn't be able to get to them to comment on their genitalia even if they wanted to. Not unless they peeked the head over the top of the door or something.

Otherwise, I'm sure that a scene where a man following a woman into some public toilets to threaten them wouldn't get any undue complaints (I'm thinking of something like the scene where Ben came out of the cubicle and Shirley grabbed him and yelled at him - I could easily imagine that scene with the roles reversed not getting any complaints.) Either the man would be depicted in a bad light and it would be obvious they shouldn't have done that, or we'd understand (if the male character was otherwise a sympathetic character) that they were doing it because it's one of the few places they can be alone in public.

Currently in EE we have women relentlessly being victimised by men, inadvertently or not. Dean raping Linda (and treating Lauren like crap), Alfie being responsible for Kat's burns, Aleks shamelessly cheating on both Roxy and his wife, Phil humiliating Shirley and so on. There is no shortage of male to female victimisation on the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I don't think the OP realises that there is a fundamental difference to the way men and women tend to use toilets in a public place. For male characters, there is always the option to write a scene at the urinals which are out in the open. The reason we don't see scenes like that with female characters is because they don't use urinals. They do it behind closed doors, so male characters (or female character for that matter) wouldn't be able to get to them to comment on their genitalia even if they wanted to. Not unless they peeked the head over the top of the door or something.

Otherwise, I'm sure that a scene where a man following a woman into some public toilets to threaten them wouldn't get any undue complaints (I'm thinking of something like the scene where Ben came out of the cubicle and Shirley grabbed him and yelled at him - I could easily imagine that scene with the roles reversed not getting any complaints.) Either the man would be depicted in a bad light and it would be obvious they shouldn't have done that, or we'd understand (if the male character was otherwise a sympathetic character) that they were doing it because it's one of the few places they can be alone in public.

Currently in EE we have women relentlessly being victimised by men, inadvertently or not. Dean raping Linda (and treating Lauren like crap), Alfie being responsible for Kat's burns, Aleks shamelessly cheating on both Roxy and his wife, Phil humiliating Shirley and so on. There is no shortage of male to female victimisation on the show.

Excellent and very well put elly. People see what they want to see.
  • Options
    David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's also this myth that women don't use the toilet like men, with men it's brass and a joke - they can show them peeing and talking but women it's respectful and private with a closed door when in reality, everyone use the toilet, everyone no matter what sex does it and it's natural.

Also I thought with soaps they use metaphors and obviously this was him being vulnerable in a small space being intimidated and the fact it was in a toilet suggest to me he was doing something dirty and disgusting and was being outed for it by a strong, in the right woman. Which is more about men using the toilet than what he did suggesting men using the toilet is vulgar and dirty were as women in Eastenders wouldn't have the same done to them.
    eejm wrote: »
    Elaine suspected Dean had done something to hurt or frighten Linda, although I doubt she guessed he had raped Linda. I think Elaine followed Dean into the bathroom to make him feel as vulnerable as he had made Linda feel. Where is he going to feel more vulnerable?

I'm not saying Elaine was right to do that, but I understand why she did it.

Yeah, I think that's the point of the scene however I do think there are lists of things that the writers have that can't be shown on TV and I reckon a reverse of this would be something that would be on that list, so I see the point this topic is about.
  • Options
    cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical sexist soap operas. It's the same as when a man hits a woman he's considered a thug and a villain, yet it's fine and often seen as comical when a woman hits a man (Kat punching Alfie when he bought The Vic springs to mind...) I thought the toilet scene was wrong on so many levels aswell.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was an excellent scene and Elaine's put down was exactly the sort of thing a woman like her would say to a young bloke like Dean. :D
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a pub landlady, I bet she has done it before
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, you seem to have an issue with "sexism against men", I'm bored with that too.

I suppose the fact at many men on EastEnders are portrayed as cheating, sex-obsessed morons is sexist, as somebody else said sexism is across the board. That said you don't seem that concerned with the representation of women in it.

So you've decided that issue isn't important have you?

Well, I think it is.

The women are for the most part represented as feisty, vibrant, strong willed and never ever accountable for their actions. the men are feckless, sexist (yes, they are almost all portrayed as sexists and womanizers which is not realistic) useless, amoral turds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    Typical sexist soap operas. It's the same as when a man hits a woman he's considered a thug and a villain, yet it's fine and often seen as comical when a woman hits a man (Kat punching Alfie when he bought The Vic springs to mind...) I thought the toilet scene was wrong on so many levels aswell.

Spot it's on! It's spot on!
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about 'more hair then on leo sayers head'?

:D
    This is exactly why I can't take soaps seriously and just watch them to pass time when I'm bored. The writers are women and gay men as you said and yet we get these stereotypical nonsense characters written.

I just think if I was a writer there is no way I could write some of these gay storylines or how pathetic it's making men or women and feel comfortable putting my name to that.

Very good point. It's a shame though because they didn't used to be like this. EastEnders itself used to be a bit more male friendly but those days seem to be gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you've decided that issue isn't important have you?

Well, I think it is.

The women are for the most part represented as feisty, vibrant, strong willed and never ever accountable for their actions. the men are feckless, sexist (yes, they are almost all portrayed as sexists and womanizers which is not realistic) useless, amoral turds.

You could also argue that women are portrayed as victims (Little Mo, Kat, Ronnie, Kathy, Linda etc)- they don't entirely have it their own way as you seem to suggest. But I've said that many of the men on the show have a less than favourable portrayal haven't I? Decent men like Tamwar are in a minority and people call him boring!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D

Very good point. It's a shame though because they didn't used to be like this. EastEnders itself used to be a bit more male friendly but those days seem to be gone.

They probably don't see heterosexual males within the shows demographic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could also argue that women are portrayed as victims (Little Mo, Kat, Ronnie, Kathy, Linda etc)- they don't entirely have it their own way as you seem to suggest. But I've said that many of the men on the show have a less than favourable portrayal haven't I? Decent men like Tamwar are in a minority and people call him boring!

Ok, I missed out 'victims'....of evil, disgraceful men and their hideous deeds.