Options

Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    I have to say its funny seeing people on this thread following this case like a soap drama.
    Why would it be 'funny'? This has been gripping real life stuff. More point in following this than a TV reality show.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    In another case, a BBC guy was saying a white South African rugby player fired a shot from his bedroom window thinking he was shooting at someone trying to break into his car. It turns out it was his daughter he shot and killed. He wasn't even charged. :o

The mans wife was in house with him and the daughter was not. Normally she'd callvout to say she was home etc. This time she did not. So it was accidental. He did not blast her so many times in quick succession.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    BBC saying that the international paralympics committee will not allow oscar to ever compete.

Have they just realised he is no hero, no icon, no role model at long last.?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mans wife was in house with him and the daughter was not. Normally she'd callvout to say she was home etc. This time she did not. So it was accidental. He did not blast her so many times in quick succession.
    Indeed. Different on so many levels.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    At least OP won't be going back to his uncles posh house tonight. I'll bet the reality of that hits him hard.
    But I still suspect that all involved parties had been informed in advance of the sentence.

We know nothing. He may go off to that nice secure special Police Station, the one he was held in whilst originally arrested. The one where its well equipped even to its own Microwave. Sent there to foil the supposed "Death Threats" from Inmates and also justified as "they" need time to further evaluate to best option for poor by Oscar. Lets see if any solid evident comes up as to where he is now, tomorrow and in one months time?
  • Options
    yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would it be 'funny'? This has been gripping real life stuff. More point in following this than a TV reality show.

Its funny that a real life killing has provided more entertainment for people than any soap opera.
  • Options
    Sue_HealeySue_Healey Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am starting to think he was informed.
    I think porky was informed!
  • Options
    ClaireChClaireCh Posts: 5,899
    Forum Member
    bookcover wrote: »
    That's all the official statement really said. But ANCWL are doing an appeal for sure, that's their official statement.

ok thanks book.
  • Options
    stressfree_manstressfree_man Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Believe there is something flakey about SA Law that the sentence terms will still apply even if found guilty of a higher Charge??

I think that public reaction will be taken into account over the next few days alongside the reaction of the judiciary of SA.
    But the bottom line is that how the judge deduced the gun charges and CA findings where flawed and set presidence that are against the interest of future cases in SA and where fundamentally wrong.
    They must appeal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP barely blinked when sentence was passed. They all knew in advance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have to say its funny seeing people on this thread following this case like a soap drama.

I don't watch soap drama's, I do however seek Justice around the world...real life stuff that affects real peoples quality of life.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rewinded and watched Aimee's face and not one reaction. Hmmm, it does look like they had known the sentence.

Of course they did hence why they did thst interview thing yesterday.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he will find prison very difficult to cope with, tho it's purpose is to punish the guilty so it should be. I for one and I'm sure I speak for the majority , do not wish harm on him in prison. It's enough that he is there. 10 months is much too short tho so perhaps people inside might find the need to apply their own justice. I hope not. He is in fact now just another lag, in with a variety of other lags. He is not a poor good boy sent to prison with all the baddies. He is now a baddie too.
  • Options
    Jean_KellyJean_Kelly Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    On enca they are waiting for osca to get in the prison van ...
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably OP will be out in under a year, and will then be able to train for a year, take part in some events - not winning but looking humble - and then his planned career as a brand ambassador, designer of prosthesis etc. will be happily back on track?
  • Options
    ClaireChClaireCh Posts: 5,899
    Forum Member
    Its funny that a real life killing has provided more entertainment for people than any soap opera.

you know posters are entertained ? or do you mean occupied and interested in the world and real humanity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Healey wrote: »

Possibly :o
  • Options
    Nowhere DanNowhere Dan Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And here you are, caught up in all the hilarity...
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP barely blinked when sentence was passed. They all knew in advance.

I just watched his sister (to the right of OP when the camera was watching for his reaction) she didn't even blink when the Judge read out his sentence. Of course they knew...I was expecting a noisy reaction but was surprised when the court remained silent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there ya go. I on the other hand, would think it 'funny' if people took more interest in a soap opera than real life :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sue_Healey wrote: »

So who eats the hat now? :p

Porkus if you are lurking, OP is going to Jail...what a bummer! ;-)
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    Presumably OP will be out in under a year, and will then be able to train for a year, take part in some events - not winning but looking humble - and then his planned career as a brand ambassador, designer of prosthesis etc. will be happily back on track?

Let's hope so, as part of his rehabilitation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hounding of Steenkamp family leaving the court disgraceful.
  • Options
    stressfree_manstressfree_man Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    IMHO what she should have done is sentence for 15 years if that 1/6 of a sentence is used as a baseline. 10 months is nothing and they might as well appeal I cant Say the judge impressed me mostly over when Tiny tears didn't like the evidence she called a halt to the day sometimes court only in session a few hours. It became almost shambolic at times and that's firmly within her remit to keep order.
    Throwing out all evidence that was negative to OP set all kinds of bad standards and negative messages for future trials in SA.
    She was deplorable
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »
    That's all the official statement really said. But ANCWL are doing an appeal for sure, that's their official statement.

I'm not sure they have the standing to do so unilaterally. I saw their statement last week that they would apply to be an amicus curiae in the event an appeal was brought but that, obviously, relies on it being brought.
This discussion has been closed.