Options

ched evans / andrew neil

gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
Forum Member
✭✭
I think Michael portillo has just run rings round the young Sheffield girl. Charlie Webster?

She is just wrong.

Comments

• Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,927
    Forum Member
    That Charlie Webster needs to wind her neck in.

Tried to patronize... and got flattened by Portillo.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More than that she does not realise why she is wrong and the harm she is doing
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say Portillo is a very effective political operator these days. I get the distinct impression that he is providing advice to top level conservatives and Lib Dems about policy and strategy.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I think Michael portillo has just run rings round the young Sheffield girl. Charlie Webster?

She is just wrong.

Any chance of context?
    Thread title is Ched Evans / Andrew Neil
    Then you talk about Michael Portillo and Charlie Webster

Apologies for my psychic powers not working
  • Options
    razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    Any chance of context?

It is a common problem, people assume you saw a programme or have time to search for it or read through a long document

A couple of paragraphs saying what it is about and why you agree or disagree would help to get a decent discussion going more than the X is an idiot type of argument
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any chance of context?

Didn't see but he was a Sheff U player convicted of rape, she is involved with Sheff U but is threatening to pack it in if he returns to play for them, I think. Presumably Portillo was on the side of he's done the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Didn't see but he was a Sheff U player convicted of rape, she is a director of Sheff U who is threatening to resign if he returns to play for them, I think. Presumably Portillo was on the side of he's done the time.
    I know who he is, never heard of her, but where does Andrew Neil come in to it?
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't see but he was a Sheff U player convicted of rape, she is involved with Sheff U but is threatening to pack it in if he returns to play for them, I think. Presumably Portillo was on the side of he's done the time.
    She was raped as a teenager. So you can understand why she doesn't want Evans there.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say Portillo is a very effective political operator these days. I get the distinct impression that he is providing advice to top level conservatives and Lib Dems about policy and strategy.

Best PM we never had imho.

For anyone confused, it's regarding last night's episode of This Week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04mlgx6/this-week-23102014
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any chance of context?

Ched Evans is an ex Sheffield United footballer who was convicted of rape and sent to prison for 2.5 years. He has recently been released and continues to profess his innocence.There's now talk about him returning to play football at the club.

Charlie Webster is some sort of patron at Sheffield and was arguing that a convicted rapist should not be playing professional football as they are role models for the millions of young men that watch football. Portillo was arguing that once you have served your punishment for your crime you should have a clean slate and be able to pick up your life from where you started. Webster stated that she is a strong supporter of rehabilitation and people having a second chance however pointed out that there are certain jobs (teacher/doctor) that a rape conviction would automatically bar you from for life and football should be one of them. Alan Johnson agreed, Portillo stuck to the (imo admirable) principle that once you've done your time you shouldn't be punished again.

Personally I don't she the issue as black and white. Just because you've served a prison sentence it doesn't mean that the repercussions of your actions have ended or that people can't take them into account when judging your suitability for certain roles. I strongly agree with Portillo that people shouldn't face public persecution on an ad-hoc basis depending on how much the media or social media dislikes you; however entertainment and sports industries should be able to take the popularity of people into account when deciding whether to hire them.
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    She was raped as a teenager. So you can understand why she doesn't want Evans there.

What about burglars and car thieves and vandals, most of us have had experience of at least one of those and I presume many play professional football. If it was the same man that had committed the rape against her I would understand and sympathise but it is not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »

I can, but I also understand Portillo's and on balance I agree with him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about burglars and car thieves and vandals, most of us have had experience of at least one of those and I presume many play professional football. If it was the same man that had committed the rape against her I would understand and sympathise but it is not.

I know that law considers certain forms of theft to have the same severity as rape but I would argue that most people don't. Football fans have a reasonable right to express their opinion on what type of people they are going to cheer for every week - and unless someone has snuck in 'the right to be a professional footballer' into the ECHR I believe clubs should be responsive to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To add to the above, look at the general response to tv and music artist who are convicted of rape/sexual harrassment/paedophilia. The idea that they will ever go back to those careers is ludicrous, in fact we take a 1984 style approach of systematically erasing them from broadcast and music history.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ched Evans is an ex Sheffield United footballer who was convicted of rape and sent to prison for 2.5 years. He has recently been released and continues to profess his innocence.There's now talk about him returning to play football at the club.

Charlie Webster is some sort of patron at Sheffield and was arguing that a convicted rapist should not be playing professional football as they are role models for the millions of young men that watch football. Portillo was arguing that once you have served your punishment for your crime you should have a clean slate and be able to pick up your life from where you started. Webster stated that she is a strong supporter of rehabilitation and people having a second chance however pointed out that there are certain jobs (teacher/doctor) that a rape conviction would automatically bar you from for life and football should be one of them. Alan Johnson agreed, Portillo stuck to the (imo admirable) principle that once you've done your time you shouldn't be punished again.

Personally I don't she the issue as black and white. Just because you've served a prison sentence it doesn't mean that the repercussions of your actions have ended or that people can't take them into account when judging your suitability for certain roles. I strongly agree with Portillo that people shouldn't face public persecution on an ad-hoc basis depending on how much the media or social media dislikes you; however entertainment and sports industries should be able to take the popularity of people into account when deciding whether to hire them.

Thanks for the context. The OP was really a bit perplexing (and I still haven't worked out the Andrew Neil thing - was it on the Daily Politics). These things never are clear cut, but then the BBC was happy to give a starring role in Eastenders to someone who had been given a life sentence for murder, so maybe there are double standards around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that law considers certain forms of theft to have the same severity as rape but I would argue that most people don't. Football fans have a reasonable right to express their opinion on what type of people they are going to cheer for every week - and unless someone has snuck in 'the right to be a professional footballer' into the ECHR I believe clubs should be responsive to that.

Well it seems to me clubs and fans are only really interested in one thing, how good the player is. The salient point here is once convicted of a crime, whatever it is, and having served the punishment for it should you still be punished for it thereafter. In this instance the footballer has afaik claimed he was innocent.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it on iPlayer and it was amusing to see both the young woman and Alan Johnson making the same error, in excusing people close to them their wrong-doing and making the whole thing personal.

Joey Barton (professional thug) in the case of Alan Johnson, and the chanting fans in the case of Charlie Webster who actually blamed Ched Evans for the fans despicable behaviour!

With lobby groups you just don't get justice, you get either vengeance or it's a personal matter. In the case of Charlie Webster clearly both...

With Alan Johnson the classic "but that's different"
    Michael Portillo was right, the justice system is the only place for justice. Look at sentencing though.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it seems to me clubs and fans are only really interested in one thing, how good the player is. The salient point here is once convicted of a crime, whatever it is, and having served the punishment for it should you still be punished for it thereafter. In this instance the footballer has afaik claimed he was innocent.

Like I said originally, it's not clear cut. The reality is that we do take certain crimes into consideration when judging what role a person can do once they have served their sentence. We dont' say to Gary Glitter "Ok, you've done your time; can you come and perform 'do you wanna be in my gang' at the MTV music awards". That's not punishment, it's a consequence of your conviction.

The football authorities should formally list what types of crimes it considers 'brings the game into disrepute' and the associated actions. Committing a rape whilst being a footballer should be an automatic ban from the professional game.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    shes in the "all men are rapists" group with the usual passive aggressive argument

and portillo destroyed her argument easily
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shes in the "all men are rapists" group with the usual passive aggressive argument

and portillo destroyed her argument easily

Ok, it's one of those threads. That's me done.
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The point is as a victim of a crime does that mean you refuse to have association with anyone who has committed the same, or similar, crime. Not sure what the rest is meant to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The football authorities should formally list what types of crimes it considers 'brings the game into disrepute' and the associated actions. Committing a rape whilst being a footballer should be an automatic ban from the professional game.

In essence that would be condemning the majority for the actions of a minority. It would suggest that pro footballers are basically rapists.

Also it's just wrong to single out footballers.

This is the classic thing that the "This Week" programme was discussing, there is simply no justice outside the justice system. It becomes a personal matter and some people obviously have a low opinion of a whole footballing profession their judgement is clouded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you wish yourself to be punished by "the mob"?

For all it's faults the only place for justice is the justice system, there is no place for it in footballing contracts....
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there is one thing this case will finally start to do once and for all...and that's stop the idiotic mantra that professional sportspeople (and footballers in particular) are any kind of "role model" either self appointed or media promoted to such an appellation.

I would have thought that history of convictions (either in criminal courts or by sporting bodies) would have taught us that...OTTOMH....Lester Piggott & Boris Becker (tax evaders), Hansie Cronjie (match fixing) & Chris Lewis (smuggling cocaine), Mike Tyson (rape) teach us that

And that's even before we mention names like Oscar Pistorious, Lance Armstrong and I believe even Phil The Dart Taylor has a criminal conviction.

Role models are those around us every day...those who work hard, pay their dues, keep their noses clean, treat others with respect and are there to shape and influence future generations by example and direct influence and guidance...not running round a pitch for ninety minutes or a track for forty seconds on the telly.