Options

BBC Poppy Fascism season has started early

Comments

• Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 24,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I think you will find in Northern Ireland quite a few BBC presenters do not wear poppies.I have still seen no evidence for the claim that the BBC is forcing people to wear poppies, if they are it must be a conspiracy with Sky, ITV and C5, not to mention most national newspapers which carry the emblem on their front pages. I believe Jon Snow famously refuses to wear a poppy.

Which presenters? I can't say I've ever noticed any not wearing poppies at this time of year.

In addition BBC and UTV presenters always wear shamrocks on St Patrick's Day.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    WE do but what about those who appear on our TV screens?

well people in the public eye might have a professional reason to wear one ..... and it's a poppy NOT explosives!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm utterly disgusted that there are no meerkat adverts that have them wearing poppies.
    Or those hippos that go round in a circle of blue light - that one's BBC isn't it?

>:( Bah!!! >:(>:(
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulchabhan wrote: »
    Because the BBC's poppy season officially started today. How much do you want to bet that the One Show presenters will be wearing one on Monday? And how much do you want to bet that the vast majority of your work colleagues will not?

I don't suppose it could just be that the presenters choose to wear a poppy as an act of remembrance like many other people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    I'm sorry to have to say it, but this is possibly the most naive comment of the year.

I suppose none of them are "compelled" to wear clothes, either?
    Coercion is so powerful because it is invisible. There is no memo, no paper trail, no disciplinary hearings for those who contravene this most unwritten of unwritten rules. But none who value their career in the Beeb, or in public life, would dare go against the "suggestion" that they should wear a poppy (and declare how happy to do it voluntarily).

The numbers who don't wear a poppy are the clearest illustration of this.

But the thread started by claiming that presenters and others appearing on BBC were pressured into wearing a poppy even though there is plenty of evidence of people not wearing one on BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The irony of that is while presenters appear to be coerced into wearing poppies they get reprimanded for wearing an aids ribbon as it is apparently against editorial guidelines that say presenters "must remain independent and distanced from government initiatives, campaigners, charities and their agendas".

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/dec/10/graham-norton-bbc-aids-ribbon-jeremy-clarkson

The poppy campaign has a special status in the UK, other charities do not have street collections at the same time. I think people in the armed and other services are allowed to wear a poppy on their uniform.

There are so many campaign button and ribbons around that it seems quite reasonable to ban wearing them on TV or else celebrities would be pressured to wear them when appearing on TV. You could end up with them having a lapel covered in ribbons.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    There are so many campaign button and ribbons around that it seems quite reasonable to ban wearing them on TV or else celebrities would be pressured to wear them when appearing on TV. You could end up with them having a lapel covered in ribbons.

So they may be pressured or feel pressured to wear one of these myriad of buttons and ribbons but they aren't pressured to wear the poppy:confused:
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    given that there was some for sale outside a major supermarket today, im not at all surprised to hear the BBC presenters are wearing them.

I can however only iminage the reaction of the Daily Mail, and its "brigade" of people waiting to be told what to think and how to phrase their Digital Spy posts, would react if the BBC presenters did not wear any poppies at all.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they may be pressured or feel pressured to wear one of these myriad of buttons and ribbons but they aren't pressured to wear the poppy:confused:

Being pressured by society regarding the former is rather different from being pressured by your employer
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite a BBC Editorial guideline dated 20th October suggesting that poppies "may be worn" from from 06:00 Saturday 25 October, they were already in evidence last Thursday.

The "may be" claim is farcical: anyone who dares to appear on screen without declaring their support for this one charity (no other though) will have not done so without it being at best forcibly suggested.

The time has started for comparing the ridiculous imbalance between proportion of people seen wearing poppies in real life and that on TV screens.

Freedom of conscience?
    Equal sympathy for conscripted soldiers of all nationalities?
    Right to decide for oneself what charity to display support for?
    The discretion to support a charity without public proclamation?

Not on the BBC.

So..........

It's wrong to remember people who died in battle to try to make the world a better place?

So.....

ITV/Sky/ Ch4 / Ch5 etc, do not have guidelines, do not wear poppies.

So...

Just another visas thread having a go, and no consistency at all for other broadcasters, and other professions?
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your first link actually disproves your claim. That journalist said they were offered a poppy and declined, with no pressure, force, threat or demand to wear it and no consequences to declining.
    So the BBC don't force or pressure presenters into wearing one.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    Your first link actually disproves your claim. That journalist said they were offered a poppy and declined, with no pressure, force, threat or demand to wear it and no consequences to declining.
    So the BBC don't force or pressure presenters into wearing one.

If anyone puts pressure on presenters to wear poppies it's certain sections of the tabloid press
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quotes from occasional programme guests, and simple statistical observation. Compare BBC tv this morning with your local high street.

I've just switched over to Sky News and they've got poppies on there too. So your BBC theory holds no water.

As for the high street unfortunately that's partly due to a lack of sellers. I've not seen one yet. When I do see one I'll be buying one.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    If anyone puts pressure on presenters to wear poppies it's certain sections of the tabloid press

No-one has produced a shred of evidence on this thread to show BBC presenters are under any pressure at all,whatever has been said about the BBC could be said about any of the TV networks.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,818
    Forum Member
    Despite a BBC Editorial guideline dated 20th October suggesting that poppies "may be worn" from from 06:00 Saturday 25 October, they were already in evidence last Thursday.

The "may be" claim is farcical: anyone who dares to appear on screen without declaring their support for this one charity (no other though) will have not done so without it being at best forcibly suggested.

The time has started for comparing the ridiculous imbalance between proportion of people seen wearing poppies in real life and that on TV screens.

Freedom of conscience?
    Equal sympathy for conscripted soldiers of all nationalities?
    Right to decide for oneself what charity to display support for?
    The discretion to support a charity without public proclamation?

Not on the BBC.

Poppy fascism??

I was going to post a long rant, but I'm sorry OP you have really offended me.

Reported.
  • Options
    Daryl_SlinnDaryl_Slinn Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    What's this a 'poppy' backlash, i'm totally confused at the point of this thread.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    natalian wrote: »
    The high street is not a fair comparison. The speed with which poppies seem to fall off so that you have to buy another one these days is amazing. So you cannot possibly tell how many people on the high street might have started out wearing one but have since lost it.

Agreed. Personally (and I don't know if its a male thing) I seem incapable of affixing a poppy that actually stays where it is supposed to stay.
    Poppy sellers out in force in Nuneaton today and seemed to be doing good business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Poppy fascism??

I was going to post a long rant, but I'm sorry OP you have really offended me.

Reported.

Reported what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it actually occurred to anyone that the presenters might wish to wear the poppies for their own personal reasons ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it actually occurred to anyone that the presenters might wish to wear the poppies for their own personal reasons ?

ALL of them? And if I recall correctly Italian, German and Spanish former footballers on Football Focus and such programmes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALL of them? And if I recall correctly Italian, German and Spanish former footballers on Football Focus and such programmes?

Do you wear a poppy ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you wear a poppy ?

Nope.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,598
    Forum Member
    They probably all feel the need to wear one otherwise papers like the Daily Mail will probably accuse the BBC of being anti-British or not caring about the war dead.

You can just see the headlines now if one presenter or news reader wasn't wearing one - even a guest.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope.

I think this thread would be interested to know why you don't wear a poppy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I think this thread would be interested to know why you don't wear a poppy.

I don't want to!