Options

Can you judge a book by its cover?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I must admit i am more likely to buy a book or magazine if I like the cover... vice versa :blush:

I don't when it comes to people... You should never prejudge someone on appearance... :)

Comments

• Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    You should try not to, but when the likes of the scum that kicked Garry Newlove to death or one or two of the Pakistani rape gangs had their mugshots printed after they were convicted, they looked pretty much as you would have expected evil shits to look like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the social cues that you notice to form prejudgments about someone? And what sort of prejudgments are these - is it their personality, character, honesty, wealth?

I shouldn't... But it's human nature... Like every time I see someone with a LV bag I can't help wondering if it's fake, and that they're quite shallow, looking to impress for validation because they have inner low self esteem. But I could be wrong :)
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I picked up a jazz mag and found it to be full of DIY tips.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes you can, but only if that person wishes to project a specific image. For example if someone chooses to have a large swastika tattooed on their head, one can assume they are racist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes you can, but only if that person wishes to project a specific image. For example if someone chooses to have a large swastika tattooed on their head, one can assume they are racist.

Or possibly not... Buddha has a swastika on his chest... :blush:

http://www.1000lonelyplaces.com/tourist-destination/tian-tan-buddha-on-lantau-island-hong-kong/
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    If the book has the words Jeffery Archer on the cover it's a pretty good indication that it's crap.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    More often than not you can e.g The Dictionary, The Bible, The telephone book
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    It's usually possible to judge a book by the back cover or what's written inside those fold-over flaps inside the cover.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    It's usually possible to judge a book by the back cover or what's written inside those fold-over flaps inside the cover.

Well yeah, I mean there's a whole industry devoted to giving books covers that WILL enable you to make a judgment based on them. If you can't judge a book by its cover in this day and age, someone needs to be fired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't buy the Famous Five books with 'modern' covers of them as 21st century children. I like the charm of the ones with the original 1950s cover illustrations :)

It's a pity they've abridged the original text though :mad:
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did actually judges a book by it's cover yesterday.

I was in waterstones, and I noticed a copy of 'lolita'. I wanted to see if any traces of ambiguity, or a grey area.

But, not. It's a dark comic story about a paedophile.....
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when the likes of the scum that kicked Garry Newlove to death or one or two of the Pakistani rape gangs had their mugshots printed after they were convicted, they looked pretty much as you would have expected evil shits to look like.

Are you sure that's not just because you know what they have done?
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes a book can look good but be a terrible read.

sometimes a woman can look amazing but actually be horrible
  • Options
    a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you can. I once tried to read a Jeffery Archer novel and thought it's going to be shit because it had Jeffery Archers name on the front cover. And yes I was right it was shit and I didn't continue to read it. So I gave it to a charity shop.

So usually even when it comes to people and all the crap about not judging the person by the 1st initial meeting. I am afraid as judgemental as this may sound. Your 1st instincts are usually the right ones to go with. I avoid All Jeffery Archers Novels now and I can honestly say my life has not diminished in anyway. Same goes for people too.

Not just appearances but usually the blurb on the back will give you a clue. People are the same look at the front then spend 3 mins reading them (the blurb on the back). That then is the cover they refer to. as the cover of a book is both the back and front. People it's the look then the way they behave is their cover.

Everyone should get a good idea of a person or a book after the 1st 3 mins of both. If not delve a bit deeper but never forget to throw a crap book out or person for that matter even 10-15 pages in, be that physically or metaphorically.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,344
    Forum Member
    If it's 50 shades of grey, sure.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    No...but I always notice if an album doesn't have some cheesy shot of the band/singer on the front.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I believe you often can, whether it's a book or a person.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not know about a book but magazines are usually quite reliable - 'Mammoth jugs of joy' and 'Milf deepthroat babes' for example have a really good indication of their contents on the cover. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    What are the social cues that you notice to form prejudgments about someone? And what sort of prejudgments are these - is it their personality, character, honesty, wealth?

I shouldn't... But it's human nature... Like every time I see someone with a LV bag I can't help wondering if it's fake, and that they're quite shallow, looking to impress for validation because they have inner low self esteem. But I could be wrong :)

Whenever I see someone with a LV bag, I automatically think they are probably a prostitute or something equally as sleazy. I know it's really bad to judge people and in most cases I don't but I really hate LV bags, even though they are 'designer' they are so tacky. They are the kind of people who appear to have loads of money but there is just also something really tacky and low class about them. Those are the only kind of people I make automatic judgements about and I know I shouldn't.

Women like this: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007593525549&fref=ts
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. It might not be right but it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    ...someone with a LV bag....

The Liverpool Victoria insurance company sell bags now? :confused:
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woujld say it's 50/50

I've been helped and treated kindly by people who appear rough and aggressive - obviously they weren't.

Sometimes whta you think about someone on first impression ends up being right.

A lot of things are to do with how you dress and the spaces you occupy. I've been treated in an off hand rude manner dressed in my kag and walking boots - then the next day a different jacket and shoes and suddenly I'm that 'lady'. If you sit behind a desk and/or wear a uniform you appear efficient and/ or intimidating to some when you may be completely inefficient and the kindest person.

Some people's characters don't match the way they look - I've been described as a bubbly blonde - I have a good sense of humour but I am quite a solid, serious person at times who thinks a lot. The blonde think gives people the wrong impression - I once had a workman explain in a slow voice (so I got it) what combustible meant.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you saying we can judge by looking at the flaps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »
    Are you saying we can judge by looking at the flaps?

You should always check the flaps.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should always check the flaps.

Sage advice.