Options

El Clasico - This Sat

Comments

• Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got back from watching my team win 1-0 on a last minute winner. Crowd went f'ing mental when the goal went in. Great feeling. Armchair fans moaning about missing 15 minutes of a Spanish game on TV should give it a go ;-)
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Just got back from watching my team win 1-0 on a last minute winner. Crowd went f'ing mental when the goal went in. Great feeling. Armchair fans moaning about missing 15 minutes of a Spanish game on TV should give it a go ;-)

My team play tomorrow, of which I'm going to. So what is your point?
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »

Been to a game and thinking you have the right to call folks 'armchair' fans is actually pretty insulting!
    Not everyone that watches football on TV is an armchair fan, some are season ticket holders, or go to games regularly, but still enjoy a game on telly, so please keep your childish comments to yourself.
    Many thanks!!!
  • Options
    Stereophonic83Stereophonic83 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK is seriously stuck in the past with regards to the blackout restriction.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be in place to protect the 3pm games but surely a blackout of 3-5pm is more appropriate. When these restrictions were put in place coverage of European football was pretty much non-existent as far as I know. Surely common sense should prevail to allow broadcasters to show games from Spain and Italy which kick off at 5. ESPN showed 5pm games on more than a few occasions, not sure how they got away with it but I haven't read anything about repercussions that they suffers because of this. I'm surprised Sky haven't done more about this especially when El Clasico has been affected on a few occasions. Personally, I think when El Clasico falls on a Sat at 3pm that an exception should be made. Biggest game in club football and UK doesn't get to see it live, pretty embarrassing when you consider the worldwide audience it gets.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK is seriously stuck in the past with regards to the blackout restriction.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be in place to protect the 3pm games but surely a blackout of 3-5pm is more appropriate. When these restrictions were put in place coverage of European football was pretty much non-existent as far as I know. Surely common sense should prevail to allow broadcasters to show games from Spain and Italy which kick off at 5. ESPN showed 5pm games on more than a few occasions, not sure how they got away with it but I haven't read anything about repercussions that they suffers because of this. I'm surprised Sky haven't done more about this especially when El Clasico has been affected on a few occasions. Personally, I think when El Clasico falls on a Sat at 3pm that an exception should be made. Biggest game in club football and UK doesn't get to see it live, pretty embarrassing when you consider the worldwide audience it gets.

Correct, it's an outdated law which should be amended for European football.

Very bizarre tuning in at 5pm to see Guillain Balague watching it on a dodgy steam via Ipad and headphones.
  • Options
    PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I think when El Clasico falls on a Sat at 3pm that an exception should be made. Biggest game in club football and UK doesn't get to see it live, pretty embarrassing when you consider the worldwide audience it gets.

If one game gets an exception then they all should. For example viewers in the UK and Ireland miss out on the 2.30pm kick off in the Bundesliga too. It is a farce and belongs back in the stone age..
  • Options
    BluedayBlueday Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Was an absolute farce and utterly ridiculous. Probably guaranteed the most entertaining big match fixture of the season and due to some 50 odd year old ruling UK viewers can't watch the first 15 minutes. Time for this ridiculous nonsense to end, particularly for European football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But, nothing will change until broadcasters like Sky lobby those in authority for change.

Question is, will they/do they want to??
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very bizarre tuning in at 5pm to see Guillain Balague watching it on a dodgy steam via Ipad and headphones.

I doubt he watched it on a dodgy stream sky will have a link to the world feed which it has access to but cant broadcast till 5.15
  • Options
    Ryan_BestRyan_Best Posts: 45
    Forum Member

I found that to be absolute comedy gold!
  • Options
    sleepasleepa Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greedy Sky should just be sucking this up as a 'cost of doing business' and giving up the petty cash from the 3 or so ad breaks they would lose from showing the first half delayed, second half live...

'Hey punters, we know and love that you pay us hundreds of squid year after year, so owing to a rare technicality beyond control at our end, please accept 15 minutes of free service as a thank you for your continued loyal support'
  • Options
    mikeisyoumikeisyou Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I find it an absolute joke we are expected to pay the most to watch sports in the world but actually receive the least coverage in the world. This is why Iam not suprised the amount of online sports piracy has increased dramatically, this is all possible because some foreign broadcasters (nbc sports, tsn/sportsnet, true sports, fox sports australia) and many many more broadcast every single premier league game which enables pirates to rebroadcast pictures. Don't be fooled when sky sports say an event is "only on sky sports" it's sports propaganda at its highest.

Some may argue this is irrelevant but I'll go ahead anyway, I was watching a segment on the one show which went into detail why some products were considerably more expensive in the UK than the USA. After weighing up shipping costs and exchange rates there was still a missing gap, some experts put this down to British people being a pushover and more compliant. I think a similar thing is happening in football rights where big organisations still think they can get away with ripping people off.

Conclusion:

The 3pm blackout rule should be lifted, i don't see how different it will be to now, afterall pretty much everyone know means of watching at the moment. In Spain, Germany, Italy every game is shown live.

Here's an interesting question, does sky show more live la liga games than premier league?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mikeisyou wrote: »
    Here's an interesting question, does sky show more live la liga games than premier league?

A) Because they couldn't buy all 380 games as they were never that many on sale in the first place.

B) Because the PL would not allow one broadcaster to have all available games to make sure they don't again have the EU on their arses.

C) Because La Liga is sold internationally as all 380 games and Sky bought the lot.

Its the same as all 380 PL games will be shown live one way or another by NBC in the US, but not all 380 live games are available to buy in the UK domestically because of the blackout rules meaning the 3pm games cannot be shown live on TV here.
    Alot of leagues are moving their games to different days to get around it.
    Italy do it now where they have no Saturday 3pm games apart from on the VERY rare occasion.
    They're all played on a Sunday at 3pm, where they can be televised.
    Spain the same with regards to games being moved to other time slots and days so they can all be shown live and not be restricted.
    But the fact remains that its the blackout that needs to be seriously revised as its ancient and doesn't work.
    It should have NO bearing on games played outside the UK, ever, for any reason!
    If it can't be used for restricting domestic games, then it should end at 5pm.

But nothing will change because no one gives a toss to change it in the first place.
    Nothing will happen while broadcasters like Sky & BT etc don't begin to lobby for change or the PL move games away from Saturday like many other leagues now do
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was quite funny, having the 2 "Pundits" trying to waffle on for 15 mins while the game was in progress, and not saying anything in particular.
  • Options
    adrian foxadrian fox Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Im pretty sure that Sky and BT will get the blackout amended for next season. The outcry over this happening 2 seasons in a row will see to that.
  • Options
    hugonhugon Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the Blackout continues for some time, purely for the amusement these threads cause me. The mock outrage of all these football fans who never set foot in a stadium, and the pathetic excuses they come up with are hilarious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hugon wrote: »
    I hope the Blackout continues for some time, purely for the amusement these threads cause me. The mock outrage of all these football fans who never set foot in a stadium, and the pathetic excuses they come up with are hilarious.

Its not mock outrage and as a former season ticket holder to Liverpool, i take exception to your comments!
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apologies, I couldn't be in Madrid last night!
  • Options
    hugonhugon Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Its not mock outrage and as a former season ticket holder to Liverpool, i take exception to your comments!

Liverpool fan in being offended shocker.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,097
    Forum Member
    The mock outrage of all these football fans who never set foot in a stadium, and the pathetic excuses they come up with are hilarious.

You do realise that a lot of people on this thread are football fans who DO set foot in a stadium don't you (including me as a Huddersfield season ticket holder). With comments like the above, to put it simply, you make yourself come across as a complete tit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Liverpool fan in being offended shocker.

I and everyone else in this thread can see you're poor attempt to bait people, it happens to be against the T&C's of the forum, just so you know.
    And being offended has ZERO to do with the club i support.
  • Options
    Ryan_BestRyan_Best Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    It was quite funny, having the 2 "Pundits" trying to waffle on for 15 mins while the game was in progress, and not saying anything in particular.
    It was Eidur Gudjohnsen banging on how messi is the best player ever for a whole 15 minutes.
  • Options
    PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yet another who thinks anyone who'd like to watch a game on telly "has never been to a stadium". Did you fly over to Madrid for the Clasico then? No? Oh.
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My theory may be far-fetched, but I'll give it an airing anyway ...

I think maybe Sky covered the game this way this time - i.e. starting the coverage at 5pm and talking about the first 15 minutes of the game, instead of just starting the coverage at about 5:13pm and going straight into the live coverage after a brief pre-amble (as they did last season) - to deliberately make it look as farcical as possible, so that it would generate lots of customer complaints and make it as obvious as possible that something needs to be done about the current black-out conditions, if Sky or whoever choose to lobby those in charge of such decisions.
  • Options
    AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    My theory may be far-fetched, but I'll give it an airing anyway ...

I think maybe Sky covered the game this way this time - i.e. starting the coverage at 5pm and talking about the first 15 minutes of the game, instead of just starting the coverage at about 5:13pm and going straight into the live coverage after a brief pre-amble (as they did last season) - to deliberately make it look as farcical as possible, so that it would generate lots of customer complaints and make it as obvious as possible that something needs to be done about the current black-out conditions, if Sky or whoever choose to lobby those in charge of such decisions.

I think there is quite a lot in this actually.

"Look at the lengths we had to go through..."