Options

Underground Britain

xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone watching the series? The first episode is covering an ancient cave, an underground power station and prehistoric bones

It's really interesting getting to see something the public normally don't.

Comments

• Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Yes, the power station was amazing, just like a set from a Bond movie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know and the brown bear bones in the Scottish cave at 28,000 years old!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the presenter is a bit of alright , shallow I know!
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xbling wrote: »
    And the presenter is a bit of alright , shallow I know!

I thought that as well especially in those shorts..

Interesting programme so far I find these sort of things fascinating.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the power station was amazing, just like a set from a Bond movie.

Just hope you do not have to leave by the emergency exit! :):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the vastness of those oil reserves used for vessels in WW2. Not even the neighbours knowing they were there!
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    And the vastness of those oil reserves used for vessels in WW2. Not even the neighbours knowing they were there!

The method of getting into them was a bit scary - imagine being stuck! Inside was incredible, especially the echoes.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are visiting Scotland anywhere near Cruachan Power Station, try this — http://www.visitcruachan.co.uk/guidedtour/ highly recommended. I had a tour round there some 30 years ago and it was fascinating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a large tank farm down in Invergordon (even bigger in WWII), Inchindown acted as a reserve for it. But it was common for people to not ask questions, there are three large concrete magazine a mile or so from Inchindown and most people did not know they were there.

They did not show but there are heaters every few hundred yards along the pipeline up the hill. I tried 'found' and photographed most of them and put on FLICKR and Canmore. Lots of images of Inchindown and Wee Fea on Canmore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The method of getting into them was a bit scary - imagine being stuck! Inside was incredible, especially the echoes.

There is an alternative way out on the other side of the tank. You would have to use a rather oily ladder (we carried ropes when there with another film crew) but a stretcher could be hoisted up if necessary.

There have been a series of open days - into the tunnels only! Air quality was checked beforehand and structural checks made on the tunnels. There was a MRT and RNLI presence to ensure qualified first aiders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    If you are visiting Scotland anywhere near Cruachan Power Station, try this — http://www.visitcruachan.co.uk/guidedtour/ highly recommended. I had a tour round there some 30 years ago and it was fascinating.
    There is a visitors' gallery that you are taken to in a minibus. Much more interesting in the actual cavern itself! Also fun to drive across the dam.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Promises to be an interesting series and about time something like this was screened. I'm more interested in WW2 and post War places such as the Burlington Bunker which is a vast complex.

There is a list of others here.