Options

29/10/2014 - PMQS discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only there were another t-shirt being worn. One with an arrow pointing to Harriet with the words "....and that is what a feminist sounds like :o"
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with her making a statement like this is it's seemingly using the issue for political gain. Would she have worn the t-shirt if DC had taken part in the original photos?
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with her making a statement like this is it's seemingly using the issue for political gain. Would she have worn the t-shirt if DC had taken part in the original photos?

I think you, I and everyone else knows the answer to that. ;)

I'm increasingly turning away from the words feminist and feminism, preferring something like humanist and humanism. Those that use the f words sometimes tend to forget about equality for all despite claiming that's what feminism is all about.
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Yeah I agree it's a farce most of the time but my comment is in relation to Ed himself and his ability to deal with unexpected things thrown at him. It's not good politics I agree but Ed should still be able to deal with it rather than sticking doggedly to his script. He might find himself in trouble during the TV debates.

He'll come prepared no problem with the aide of an invisible earpiece just like he always wear when doing his "-script 80-min speeches" on his party conferences.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour on immigration theme. Apparently Ed Miliband has told all his MP's to discuss with their constituents and convince them on Labour's policies.

Even Labour MP's asking questions are mentioning it.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,672
    Forum Member
    For once I agree with DC not wearing that t shirt
    It would be ridiculous for any PM to wear a shirt or a wrist band or a badge or whatever else happens to be the in thing
    Off for a lie down now as agreeing with DC has somewhat thrown me;-)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things must be pretty bad at Labour if she's prepared to break the rules like that to try and get a dig in against DC not agreeing to wear a t-shirt. Desperate stuff.

I wasn't even aware of this T-shirt campaign until now so I suppose HH has raised awareness.

However, if this is how Miliband looks in a T Shirt, maybe he should stick to wearing suits
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/pmqs/11195171/Harriet-Harman-taunts-David-Cameron-over-feminism-t-shirt.html
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Interesting comment on the BBC commentary that implies Farage won this PMQ without even being there
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Interesting comment on the BBC commentary that implies Farage won this PMQ without even being there

A similar thought did go through my mind - Farage just seems to have to sit back and smile as the other parties disappear up their own whatsits chasing trying to counter him., whilst the EU helpfully throws in the bombshells from time to time. Today was a truly dismal affair on both sides, and Nick Clegg looked like he had a pair of pliars attached to his nuts.

Interestingly, nothing from Ed on tax avoidance. I'm surprised a Tory didn't bring it up to embarrass that great egalitarian Hilary.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Labour on immigration theme. Apparently Ed Miliband has told all his MP's to discuss with their constituents and convince them on Labour's policies.

Any Labour MP who darkens my doorstep to talk about immigration is going to get such a tongue lashing they are going to want to stand for a different constituency!
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any Labour MP who darkens my doorstep to talk about immigration is going to get such a tongue lashing they are going to want to stand for a different constituency!

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's a word for any Labour candidate walking the streets round my way....

....Lost.

Having said that, in all my 53 years I've yet to have anyone from any political party knock the door come election time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Having said that, in all my 53 years I've yet to have anyone from any political party knock the door come election time.

When we lived in Peterborough in '97, Labour hit the city with a vengeance because it was a marginal and I was visited 4 times, once by the candidate herself. She won, but turned out to be a right old harridan, even managing to get a drunken rant of herself on you tube.

We live in Rutland now and I have not heard sight nor sound of any of them for years, as it is a Tory bastion. It will be interesting this year to see if Duncan's team appear on the doorstep as it is classic UKIP recruitment territory. Labour gave up any pretense of bothering to debate decades ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Can you imagine the look on party workers faces when they hear 'Ed wants you to discuss immigration fears with the voters, and address their concerns'?

You can hear the single reply of 'Do what?'
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A Lady on Sky News just said the same thing. Whenever any of the main parties are discussing Europe the hand of Farage is felt pulling them back from their arguments.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Cameron was quite right to avoid wearing this sloganeering T-shirt. The others may be happy to look like daft students, but Cameron has a
    bit more sense. He realises that you can believe in something without wearing a T-shirt or wrist band to prove it. As for Harman, we expect no better of her. Nothing will happen to her of course, as she is one of Speaker Bercow's favourites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Order order

Hansard notes on pmqs earlier today.
    http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/hansard/commons/todays-commons-debates/read/unknown/93/
    Edward Miliband (Doncaster North) (Lab):
    A vital tool that has helped to bring murderers, rapists and paedophiles to justice is the European arrest warrant. Why is the Prime Minister delaying having a vote on it?

The Prime Minister:
    I am not delaying having a vote on it. There will be a vote on it. We need, in order to have a vote on it, the small matter of a negotiation to take place within Europe, which up to now the Spanish have been blocking. I think the Spanish will shortly remove their block, and at that moment we will be able to have a vote.

Edward Miliband:
    We all know the reason why the Prime Minister is not having a vote: it is the by-election in Rochester and Strood. He is paralysed by fear of another Back-Bench rebellion on Europe. So I want to make an offer to him. We have a Labour Opposition day next week. We will give him the time for a vote on the European arrest warrant, and we will help him to get it through.

The Prime Minister:
    There is only one problem with the right hon. Gentleman’s second question: we are going to have a vote, we going to have it before the Rochester by-election—his questions have just collapsed.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RacerWelsh wrote: »

LOL - Ed doesnt get any better with age.. :D
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    RacerWelsh wrote: »
    Policy on the hoof?
    He thinks Spain will remove the block on negotiations which is stopping the vote, but he knows the vote will before the by-election. Seems to be a lack of coherency somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Policy on the hoof?
    He thinks Spain will remove the block on negotiations which is stopping the vote, but he knows the vote will before the by-election. Seems to be a lack of coherency somewhere.

He's going to look pretty stupid if the Spanish block is not removed in good time before the Rochester by-election.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »

Shirley the label is wrong - it should read 'This is what an idiot looks like' ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    He's going to look pretty stupid if the Spanish block is not removed in good time before the Rochester by-election.

It doesn't matter does it? British parliament can discuss what it wants when it wants. Ed look a bit daft by not knowing what was laid down for debate in the future - Cameron suckered him in on that one.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter does it?
    Seeing as he stated this on public record:

"There will be a vote on it. We need, in order to have a vote on it, the small matter of a negotiation to take place within Europe, which up to now the Spanish have been blocking. I think the Spanish will shortly remove their block, and at that moment we will be able to have a vote."

then yes, it does matter. He committed himself to a timescale that only a few moments previously was supposedly dependent upon Spain. And as far as I am aware, there has been no precise date set, so Ed would not have known what was down for future debate.

And if Spain is still blocking our re-entry, it does not matter which way the vote goes, it would have been pointless and would look like Cameron was running away from an even larger rebellion post-Rochester.

And it would the n appear that the only way for Cameron to win this vote in the face of what looks like a very large-scale Conservative rebellion is with the support of the Opposition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley the label is wrong - it should read 'This is what an idiot looks like' ;-)

I think you could be right. 'This is what an idiot looks like' would work very well here: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/27/1414427553887_Image_galleryImage_This_is_what_a_feminist_l.JPG