Options

Erosion of British Culture

Comments

• Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Culture changes through time and is impossible to define. You can give examples like a highland gathering in a small village, the working man's club in the northeast or the Lord Mayor's banquet. All are good example of culture, but so is sinking a few pints of beer and going for a curry, or ordering a Chinese takeaway. Sunday opening and churchgoing habits have changed in the past 20 years (the Sunday Trading act was only in 1994), but for some people they are worse, some they are better. Do people have a glass or bottle of wine with their meal - 35 years ago it was limited to asti spumanti, Mateus rose, Blue Nun or Black Tower and only posh people drank red wine (carefully decanted, of course).

Culture is not eroded, it changes. Sometimes it's better and sometimes it's worse.
    True, but there are some who would certainly either have it stand still, or try to turn back the clock to some mythical golden age when there was no crime, no unemployment and everything was just wonderful oh and you could leave your doors and windows unlocked all night,
    probably because no one had anything worth stealing, and the 'consumer culture' hadn't been fully conditioned into us yet,
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is nothing or very little to do with the desire to defend or to protect a culture, nor are racism, bigotry, intolerance and ignorance really anything to do with nationality religion or skin colour, those are just the 'handy' identifiers,

if everyone on Earth woke up tomorrow all speaking the same language and everyone's skin had changed to exactly the same shade of green and we all agreed about religion, the very same people who choose to hate based on those things would within hours have found a reason to hate some group or other. probably based on hair or eye colour or height or something.

I remember reading about an experiment that was done in the 50s or 60s into prejudice and intolerance, it involved a large school in which several pupils were randomly selected and asked to take part in a voluntary experiment,

they were of both sexes and various ages and back grounds, they were asked to wear a green wristband for a month, all they had to do was not tell anyone WHY they were wearing it, other than to say "it's an experiment and/or it's personal"

they were each asked to keep a journal of events surrounding this experiment.
    At the end of the month almost half of the pupils had dropped out, many had been physically assaulted, some had fallen out with friends they had known for years and even with members of their own family, they had been marginalised by the rest of the school, constantly 'picked on' and bullied, and they ended up grouping together with each other both inside and outside of school.

and all this was a result of 'being different' or of 'standing out' and that is what is at the heart of of this belief in one 'culture' being superior or better than another, or one religion or race or nationality, it's a very very basic and primitive response and one that has been with us since before we climbed out of the trees.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,599
    Forum Member

You really need to get over your hatred of Muslims
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But in the particular instance he was not being tolerant - but threatening violence to those who did not do what he said. He is perfectly entitled to have a view, just not to impose it on others with a threat of violence.

Drinking culture arose in this country as a way of making largely dirty water taste different. In China and many parts of the Far East - they used tea. This is why those from the Far East do not have the relevant enzymes to metabolise Alcohol where those from the West do. Not sure what they did in the Middle East - it was not drinking alcohol - because alcohol is a diadetic - it aids the body in losing fluids - not a particular sensible thing in a desert where water is a rarety - hence cultures that ban drinking it.

The way we dress, act, going out on a Saturday Evening - are all parts of our culture - all have at times been attacked by those who do not agree that they should happen.

But you are still free to go out on a night time and wear what you want and do what you want within the law Just because somebody says they do not agree is not an erosion is it?
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    True, but there are some who would certainly either have it stand still, or try to turn back the clock to some mythical golden age when there was no crime, no unemployment and everything was just wonderful oh and you could leave your doors and windows unlocked all night,
    probably because no one had anything worth stealing, and the 'consumer culture' hadn't been fully conditioned into us yet,

I don't recall anyone claim there was a mythical golden age, crime has been part of society for centuries.

The likes of Saudi, Iranian cultures are fundamentally different to British culture, American culture and other Western countries. The two are incompatible and will never really agree with other which is many people find the burka offensive, Arabs in Saudi would be offended if a woman walked down the streets in a mini-skirt.

In the early 1900 the culture of Britain was conservative with women not being able to show their ankles etc but over time the culture changed because Western countries are progressive in the attitudes.

What is happening now is a culture clash because people from conservative countries and coming to the country and some of them are trying change the UK to fir their ideals. At some point in time one of the two will have to take a back seat because opposing views rarely live peacefully together,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    You really need to get over your hatred of Muslims

I don't hate Muslims, I dislike groups of people who try to establish Sharia Law and want this country to fit their religious view points.

It could be said that banner waving Islamists who want an end to democracy need to get of their hatred of everthing non-Muslim.
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Male voice choirs. Brass bands. Horse Shows. Point to Point Race Meetings. Agricultural Shows. Seasonal Celebrations (eg. May Day in Padstow). Rural cricket matches.

Some People continue to keep up our cultural traditions, and they are still there for anyone who wants to seek them out.

Note that for most of these you have to leave the cities.
  • Options
    DrillerKillerDrillerKiller Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Do you remember when shops used to be shut on a Sunday?

That was a pain in the arse
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The loss of English regional difference is one that I regret. Wherever you are in England places largely feel the same these days and that is a significant cultural loss.

The thread is about British culture, not English culture. Can you tell the difference?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So what part of British culture has been eroded?

None... It's just some fannys whining on about foriegners usually.. You'll find loads of these old farts crying on ds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is an erosion of English culture. Actually erosion is the wrong word, I would use replacement. It happens in areas where the English are no longer the majority and there is no template to follow for integration.

Sigh, the thread is about British culture and not English culture.
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None... It's just some fannys whining on about foriegners usually.. You'll find loads of these old farts crying on ds.

You wrote an entire line without calling someone a racist. I'm going for a lie-down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One again the thread is about British culture
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I am certain that should you be a shop owner who wishes to close on Sundays you are perfectly free to do so,
    unlike before the restrictions were removed when even if you wanted to open on a Sunday you couldn't,
    I was very pleased to see the British tradition of tolerance and free choice strengthened by the removal of a law based on religion and the insistence that everyone obeys this religious based law, something I am certain most of the 'defenders of Britishness' would wholeheartedly support.

Well if it is religious intrusion into law that bothers you it has always been legal to to make paper aeroplanes from pages of the bible in public, it is however now potentially a serious crime to rip out pages of the quran and make paper aeroplanes in public. An artist can invite anyone to deface a copy of the Bible, he would be in serious trouble if he invited people to deface a copy of the quran and not just from the law. Perhaps we have not travelled much distance at all and perhaps it is in the reverse direction.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Well if it is religious intrusion into law that bothers you it has always been legal to to make paper aeroplanes from pages of the bible in public, it is however now potentially a serious crime to rip out pages of the quran and make paper aeroplanes in public. An artist can invite anyone to deface a copy of the Bible, he would be in serious trouble if he invited people to deface a copy of the quran and not just from the law. Perhaps we have not travelled much distance at all and perhaps it is in the reverse direction.
    Are you saying that defacing religious books is cultural?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The irony of people complaining about one ME religion when British culture is based on another ME religion.

I'd also point out that many of the things that are "acceptable" British culture would, within living memory, have resulted in very loud tutting if not abuse if not arrest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you saying that defacing religious books is cultural?

Artistic freedom is a cultural value. The right to utilise any printed work for art is now restricted by UK law. What is difficult too understand there?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Artistic freedom is a cultural value. The right to utilise any printed work for art is now restricted by UK law. What is difficult too understand there?
    As an atheist, I'd say that defacing any religious book is rude and disrespectful. If you think that's OK, then you really are a piece of unpleasant low life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    The irony of people complaining about one ME religion when British culture is based on another ME religion.

I'd also point out that many of the things that are "acceptable" British culture would, within living memory, have resulted in very loud tutting if not abuse if not arrest.

The irony that one ME state is funding Wahabist mosques throughout Europle but if you try to build a Christian church in the same ME state you will be arrested by the religious police.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a phrase which is often repeated that "British culture is being eroded"
    I struggle to find any specific examples of this happening so is this just one of those phrases that means nothing or is there a real erosion taking place?

Of course it is. If a Nation once had a culture that was recognisable as being many facets of one culture bar a few welcomed and tolerated enclaves and it now has many larger enclaves of many more cultures each impacting to greater and lesser degrees on that National culture then it is indeed being eroded. Whether it is a good or bad thing is the argument. If it is deliberate policy it is bad, if it is natural progression it may be beneficial it may not. It is hard to believe it is natural as a specific planned multicultural society seems to have arisen. I have no recollection of ever voting for it and it seems most others have no recollection either.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Culture evolves. It isn't a fixed point.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eating with a knife and fork.
    Accepting what ever teacher said was gospel.
    Respecting the local Bobby.
    Not spitting.
    Queuing
    Giving up your seat for someone struggling
    Cleaning/washing your door step/s
    Eating cheese as a desert as opposed to a starter
    Supporting the underdog
    Drinking warm beer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an atheist, I'd say that defacing any religious book is rude and disrespectful. If you think that's OK, then you really are a piece of unpleasant low life.

Hmmm. It is whether being disrespectful is subject to law. There are many things I find disrespectful and unpleasant but then I suck it up as part of British culture is tolerance and tolerance implies having patience and considerate for opinions and behaviour one finds disagreeable. An attribute I notice many on the left have immense difficulty with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eating with a knife and fork.
    Accepting what ever teacher said was gospel.
    Respecting the local Bobby.
    Not spitting.
    Queuing
    Giving up your seat for someone struggling
    Cleaning/washing your door step/s
    Eating cheese as a desert as opposed to a starter
    Supporting the underdog
    Drinking warm beer

All those things anyone is still perfectly free to do
    If people choose not to that has nothing to do with erosion of culture
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    angarrack wrote: »
    Male voice choirs. Brass bands. Horse Shows. Point to Point Race Meetings. Agricultural Shows. Seasonal Celebrations (eg. May Day in Padstow). Rural cricket matches.

Some People continue to keep up our cultural traditions, and they are still there for anyone who wants to seek them out.

Note that for most of these you have to leave the cities.

And would have had to long before their demographics changed...