Options

Doctor Who - S8E11 - Dark Water - 1st Nov '14 - BBC One (HD) @ 8.15pm

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a though if that is the afterlife in some incarmation how many Claras would be there... She would be like her own army :-o
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    Straker wrote: »
    Patrick Mulkern, Radio Times.

So this episode is in some way saying there's no such thing as an afterlife?

I'm quite relieved actually. I said before on here ages ago that any attempt at going all god-ified would be mega out of place in a show like Doctor Who. There's enough pandering to these lunatics in the day to day without them infiltrating my favourite show.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent
    CD93 wrote: »
    Eddie 'from Skaro' is sounding happier, this week.

He posted his review. A far cry from In the Forest of the Night.

I have a feeling that
    Granny Oswald is not long for this world. Her inclusion in the episode has been a point of curiosity for me.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Love.
  • Options
    krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Excellent

Oooh, this sounds fantastic! Can't wait! *Grinny face* :D
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good
    wizzywick wrote: »
    It could be one of a few things: (speculation obviously):
    The Doctor "falls to his death" (we do see him falling in the trailer.
    Missy is revealed as The Master. Seems like a big way to end an episode.
    Clara dies.
    Danny dies.
    Missy is a future carnation of The TARDIS
    None of the above.
    Heh. That pretty much covers the bases. :)

One thing I think I can point out safely is that not all of the scenes in the "next time" trailer are from part 1 of the finale - some are from part 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent
    Going to hazard a guess that all the UNIT stuff is from Part 2.. they're not on the cast list IIRC.
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be disappointed if the cliff hanger was
    Unit appearing and Danny being revealed as a UNIT spy
    I would be very surprised if Missy is a character that has appeared before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent
    Den of Geek Review - I won't say which way it swings, but at least this line should appeal to somebody.
    You're not having threads woven around you until you lose track.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good
    Den of Geek Review - I won't say which way it swings, but at least this line should appeal to somebody.
    I'd agree with that line. Given that this is a Moffat finale, he's made an effort to keep the story linear without too many convolutions (in part 1, at least). I expect he'll now get criticised for writing a finale that is too simple and not ambitious enough ...
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good
    Snippet of script (inspired by this image and this one ;-))
    INTERIOR MOUNT DOOM - CLARA stands at the precipice the TARDIS Key held over the Molten Lava.

DOCTOR: Clara!

CLARA: I have come, But I do not choose now to do what I came to
    do. I will not do this deed. The Key is mine!

Clara places the key in her mouth and disappears, a familiar wheezing sound is heard.

NYSSA: She was the TARDIS all the time!

DOCTOR: Nyssa? What the Feckity **** are you doing here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    INTERIOR MOUNT DOOM - CLARA stands at the precipice the TARDIS Key held over the Molten Lava.

Its Magma not Lava.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    Some kind of spoilery hints to be found at Wales Online here...
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/what-expect-doctor-who-series-8014796

Rather worrying what they say about Danny... :o
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    Not since The End Of Time Part 1 have I wanted to see an episode so badly...

3 days to go...
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    The Radio Times is bizarre this week.

There's Patrick Mulkern's weirdly negative 'Pick of the Day': "A lot of this episode will appear crass and in poor taste to anyone who's suffered a bereavement. Which is most of us."

What???

And then there are the oddly negative 'celebrity' comments about how Peter Capaldi is doing as the Doctor. For some reason they even included AA Gill's (The Sunday Times) negative comments about Capaldi's first episode ("It wasn't an audition for a new part, rather a post-mortem for a venerable career").

Weird way for the BBC's own magazine to 'promote' one of its most watched shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Weird way for the BBC's own magazine to 'promote' one of its most watched shows.

It isn't owned by the BBC, BBC magazines was sold to a Private Equity company in 2011.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent
    I imagine there will be some who believe in an afterlife who may not take to Doctor Who's interpretation....

...which is presumably that there isn't one and the finale is going to remind you repeatedly, as will The Doctor.

Eddie mentioned this in his review.
    There are lots of black jokes about cremations, organ donations and bodies wasting away, and I can imagine for someone recently bereaved it might be heavy going. I’d imagine too it could offend certain religions. For me as an atheist it makes no odds, and is a fascinating take on the questions of immortality. I suspect however, given the episode’s denouement, things might not be exactly as they seem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    I imagine there will be some who believe in an afterlife who may not take to Doctor Who's interpretation....

...which is presumably that there isn't one and the finale is going to remind you repeatedly, as will The Doctor.

Eddie mentioned this in his review.

Probably get the mumsnet brigade complaining to ofcom. I almost hope so. I can imagine the reception to this ep really getting on my nerves. Surely the whole concept of the show is an in your face to religious types anyway?

I'm just glad the easily offended fairy tale enthusiasts aren't being pandered to if I'm honest.
  • Options
    NerdyMageeNerdyMagee Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    So this episode is in some way saying there's no such thing as an afterlife?

Isn't this pretty much already established in the Who universe thanks to Torchwood? Captain Jack tells the suicidal man that there's nothing when you die.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    NerdyMagee wrote: »
    Isn't this pretty much already established in the Who universe thanks to Torchwood? Captain Jack tells the suicidal man that there's nothing when you die.

Yep. And that person they brought back to life briefly with that glove thing.
    As I said before, the overall concept of the show isn't exactly in accordance with religious doctrine so if anyone's offended they really ought to get a grip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent
    DWTV's preview is as ambiguous as expected - and speculates that Missy is be a major player in the Whoniverse.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    Ugh. It all sounds awesome. I can't wait until Saturday now! I've not been looking forward to a final so much since 'The Pandorica Opens'.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    The Radio Times is bizarre this week.

There's Patrick Mulkern's weirdly negative 'Pick of the Day': "A lot of this episode will appear crass and in poor taste to anyone who's suffered a bereavement. Which is most of us."

What???

And then there are the oddly negative 'celebrity' comments about how Peter Capaldi is doing as the Doctor. For some reason they even included AA Gill's (The Sunday Times) negative comments about Capaldi's first episode ("It wasn't an audition for a new part, rather a post-mortem for a venerable career").

The Radio Times is a sad and sorry old brand waiting to be chucked on the scrap heap. Its writers are utterly piss poor and its laughable attempts at remaining relevant with its online content are exactly that. Laughable. I wouldn't waste a second reading anything they say good or bad about the show.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    Not sure if it's been posted but there's a 60 second preview snippet on Youtube.

Dare you watch?

I almost squeed myself just from the sheer awesomeness.

So glad they got rid of the
    stupid way the Cybermen walked in 'Nightmare in Silver'

and
    St Paul's looks magnificent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent
    Michelle Gomez is superb.