Options

Woman subjected to 108 catcalls during 10 hour walk through NYC

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone has such extreme and draconian rules on who, where and when someone can talk to them then I'd say they were a misanthrope.

What was extreme exactly?

Can you read body language?

Are you socially inept?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    If someone has such extreme and draconian rules on who, where and when someone can talk to them then I'd say they were a misanthrope.

And your more
    "How dare they not want to talk to ME"

Shouldn't each person have a right to choice who does and does not talk to them if they don't wish to be talked to you can't force them .
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If someone has absolutely no clue about social rules of interaction I'd say they're either trolling or a caveman. Even animals who live in groups have rules.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let me tell you this - you could be taking the bus forever and not speaking to a stranger to declare your sexual interest.

Yes but that is your own lack of mental courage and fear of rejection that has beaten you. They could have been someone you could have spent the rest of your life with and you didn't take the chance because you got scared. That's not a great way to live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    If someone has absolutely no clue about social rules of interaction I'd say they're either trolling or a caveman. Even animals who live in groups have rules.

These rules that were listed are nonsense though. Predicated on how many times you got the bus with someone or what hobbies they do or online dating or not talking to them even if they exhibit the same body language but in different public places.

Self-imposed unhappiness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but that is your own lack of mental courage and fear of rejection that has beaten you. They could have been someone you could have spent the rest of your life with and you didn't take the chance because you got scared. That's not a great way to live.

No its because he isn't a creep!

Got anymore bodybuilding related insults?
  • Options
    Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With careful editing you can make 10 hours of film say exactly what you want it to.

I'm sure you can. However how was this carefully edited to show that a woman in casual clothing was harrassed by strangers on the street every 5-6 minutes or so?
    1. Look at the guys making the comments, without resorting to racial stereotypes, it isn't rocket science to suggest they are likely to live in the poorer areas of Manhattan.

Without resorting to other sterotypes either...:blush:. What's your point exactly?
    2. Of course it matters. A lady walking through a council estate in, say, Stretham, is far more likely to get such comments than if she were walking through, say, Sloane Square in London. Or if she were to walk through the centre of Bath, or Cheltenham.

And, what does it matter to the person who lives in Streatham, that somebody in Bath might get less sexual harassment from strangers?
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see franker fixer has had an enjoyable morning attempting to wind others up. A very productive use of time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree but as I said if you have been talking the same bus for weeks or months start on nodding terms if they are ok with that after a while longer a "Hello" could be ok if they respond to that fine if not just leave it.

Indeed. I was just pointing out that merely sharing the same space for a period of time automatically entitles somebody to a pop at someone.
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ps just for interests of the discussion, the footage was edited down to include only verbal comments - there were wolf whistles and other noises a-plenty
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With careful editing you can make 10 hours of film say exactly what you want it to.

1. Look at the guys making the comments, without resorting to racial stereotypes, it isn't rocket science to suggest they are likely to live in the poorer areas of Manhattan.
    2. Of course it matters. A lady walking through a council estate in, say, Stretham, is far more likely to get such comments than if she were walking through, say, Sloane Square in London. Or if she were to walk through the centre of Bath, or Cheltenham.
    bib - as somebody who lives in the centre of Bath, I can categorically disagree with you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These rules that were listed are nonsense though. Predicated on how many times you got the bus with someone or what hobbies they do or online dating or not talking to them even if they exhibit the same body language but in different public places.

You're the only one who comes across as unhappy here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll settle for trolling, then. Nice one.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me tell you this - you could be taking the bus forever and not speaking to a stranger to declare your sexual interest.

Or you could do what I did, get on a bus, say 'hi' to the driver and then marry them 11 months later, that was seven years ago, we now have a three year old daughter, see, when you say 'hi' to a complete stranger sometimes good things happen!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Extreme and Draconian rules? I was after more information with which to make an informed decision.

Is a 50 year old, who takes the same bus as 16 year old sixth form student, automatically entitled to a pop at them, given that they've been sharing the same bus for a year or 5?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was extreme exactly?

Can you read body language?

Are you socially inept?

Can you understand that the body language is the same in every single scenario? Now what is the difference between the bus stop and the pub?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »
    I see franker fixer has had an enjoyable morning attempting to wind others up. A very productive use of time!

Yeah and he is pretty shit at it! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [...]

There are plenty comments to be had within a mile of Boots corner.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or you could do what I did, get on a bus, say 'hi' to the driver and then marry them 11 months later, that was seven years ago, we now have a three year old daughter, see, when you say 'hi' to a complete stranger sometimes good things happen!

What a creep! >:(
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »
    If someone has absolutely no clue about social rules of interaction I'd say they're either trolling or a caveman.

Or autistic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed. I was just pointing out that merely sharing the same space for a period of time automatically entitles somebody to a pop at someone.

I agree they may not even to care to respond to the nod if you have gotten on the same bus for years if they don't then you leave it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you understand that the body language is the same in every single scenario? Now what is the difference between the bus stop and the pub?

Yes surprisingly people have different body language! :o

Now can you understand that body language? Or are you socially inept?
  • Options
    Forum Member

That's what we have been saying even in a pub they could be giving a piss off body language and then you leave it.

The point is more in certain situations they may be more open to advances.

In a pub/club having a drink and a laugh with mates maybe up for it

Going home on a bus thinking I've got to put the dinner on when I get in and then tidy up and walk the dog before I go to bed maybe not so much
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure you can. However how was this carefully edited to show that a woman in casual clothing was harrassed by strangers on the street every 5-6 minutes or so?

Without resorting to other sterotypes either...:blush:. What's your point exactly?

And, what does it matter to the person who lives in Streatham, that somebody in Bath might get less sexual harassment from strangers?

People are a product of thair background so what would be considered "acceptable" behaviour by a group of males from a deprived area very likely wouldn't be the same in a more affluent area.

My point being that if she had spent 10 hours walking around the affluent areas of Manhattan it is highly unlikely she would have received over 100 comments in 10 hours. However I wouldn't have thought it would be necessary for anyone to spend 10 hours demonstrating the bleedin' obvious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extreme and Draconian rules? I was after more information with which to make an informed decision.

Is a 50 year old, who takes the same bus as 16 year old sixth form student, automatically entitled to a pop at them, given that they've been sharing the same bus for a year or 5?

Your rules don't apply to anyone but yourself.

You think that example is showing the strength of your argument when it highlights how weak it is. Reductio ad absurdum.