Options

What Is Cheryl's Problem With Jay?

Feline77Feline77 Posts: 753
Forum Member
✭✭
This is getting uncomfortable for me now - week in week out, she just cannot seem to say anything positive, always has to nitpick at something or other. It seems personal & is reminiscent of the year Danyl Johnson was on XF.

Each to their own but I thought Jay was great tonight - the best for me so far, he really surprised me.

Why is it so hard for her to say ANYTHING positive?

Comments

• Options
    benbeez1benbeez1 Posts: 18,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay's a bit blah & we have our WINNER
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I got a theory her husband has told her not to say anything good to him as he feels threatened by him!
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He probably doesn't fawn over her backstage...
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    She and Mel are both famous more by luck than talent. As I result I can't take what either of them say seriously.

At least when Gary was a judge, love him or loath him, we knew he knew what he was talking about, as he undoubtedly has talent. Neither of these women do. As a result, they often resort to cheap comments.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's threatened by him.

Seems a lovely lad and gets undeserved bashing.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    He is terrible and she is right to point that out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was not a bashing. She didn't like it, neither will many people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    She and Mel are both famous more by luck than talent. As I result I can't take what either of them say seriously.

At least when Gary was a judge, love him or loath him, we knew he knew what he was talking about, as he undoubtedly has talent. Neither of these women do. As a result, they often resort to cheap comments.

Well, I don't think somebody has to be able to sing like Mariah Carey to be able to judge talent. I would certainly never make it as a popstar - I can sing in tune but within a limited range - but I recognise when somebody is singing in tune or not. So, I don't think that is necessarily essential to be a judge or mentor.

However, I don't think Cheryl adds much to the panel. Mel B is guilty of looking at her own acts through rose-tinted glasses sometimes but other than that, I think she's a pretty good judge. She gives constructive criticism & is very supportive of other acts who are not in her category when they deliver a good performance. She is definitely more balanced than Cheryl.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We'll see, the public will decide that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She uses him to argue with Simon. It takes the focus away from Jay's performance & puts it on her - it's a cheap shot. Not nice.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I love it, it makes me cackle.

He really isn't very great though to be fair.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's telling it as it is when it comes to Jay
  • Options
    RocknRollaRocknRolla Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    He's just not good, and I agree with Cheryl
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Answer Cheryl's Q then- What has Mad World got to do with Halloween.
  • Options
    annie24601annie24601 Posts: 3,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not that great, but neither are a lot of the acts
  • Options
    redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »

About the same as Crazy has to do with Halloween as sung by her act Lauren
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redcherry wrote: »
    About the same as Crazy has to do with Halloween as sung by her act Lauren

Lauren sang Dark Horse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not uncommon for the XF to pay little attention to the themes - not that I agree with that. But where does Crazy & Relight My Fire fit into the Halloween theme? Cheryl didn't say anything about Andrea's song choice, and of course she chose Crazy herself - neither song has anything to do with Halloween. Tbh, neither does Everybody (Backstreet's Back) - it's just the video that's a bit spooky, not the song though. Same with Relight My Fire.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's right about him though, he was really poor tonight, that arrangement of the song was dreadful
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The lyrics are very dark like most of the others which mention magic, fire, monsters etc which is what you would expect. none of them actually about the festival of halloween
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,007
    Forum Member
    Maybe she just doesn't like him as an artist/performer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe she just doesn't like him as an artist/performer?

Nothing wrong with saying you didn't like a performance but explain why & how you think they can improve - that's what Mel B does.

Look at how Cheryl critiques Stevi - clearly he's not a great singer but she falls all over him no matter how badly he sings. She just tells Jay that it was weird or whatever & that's it - no advice on how to improve & not said in a nice way.
  • Options
    09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her problem is he is absolutely horrific. I can appreciate the talent of other acts like Ben and Jack who I'm not a fan of but I honestly cannot think why on earth anyone would willingly want to listen to him.... His voice is either barely audible and thin or really strained and a bit shouty. I find him annoying and very unlikeable too.

That sounds harsh but I'm genuinely baffled.
  • Options
    dog_eat_dogdog_eat_dog Posts: 3,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her problem is he is absolutely horrific. I can appreciate the talent of other acts like Ben and Jack who I'm not a fan of but I honestly cannot think why on earth anyone would willingly want to listen to him.... His voice is either barely audible and thin or really strained and a bit shouty. I find him annoying and very unlikeable too.

That sounds harsh but I'm genuinely baffled.

Jay was one of my least favourite acts going into lives (I too find him somewhat nasally and whiny), but I really enjoyed his take on Mad World tonight. It sounded like a current dance hit. I understand not everyone will like it, but it was one of my top three performances tonight and I'm not even a Jay fan!

I was more puzzled about the praise for his outfit tonight - now THAT was awful!
  • Options
    bunnyintheboxbunnyinthebox Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about Cheryl, but this forum really has it in for Jay.

Can accept that everyone has different likes, but even if you dont like him very much you cant deny he can sing. sings 100% in tune, and delivers with great feeling.

I expect him to make it to the final and prove this forum and Cheryl wrong.