Options

How worrying are UKIP to you?

Comments

• Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    It's not prejudice that would stop decent people wanting to join such an organisation. Ex-member Boris Johnson has called it "a truly shameful vignette of almost superhuman undergraduate arrogance, toffishness and twittishness." :)

Sounds like just another case of ' I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member' !
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's strange. The "liberal progressives" I've met seem remarkably free of prejudices. And surely any decent person would baulk at joining the Bullingdon club!

I've often found that it's not that they're free of prejudice, just that they only ever recognise it in others.
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    What are the links between the EDL and UKIP? I would be worried about any party who had ties with the EDL.

If there are any it should be easy enough to find the evidence, After all the links between the equally violent UAF and Labour are pretty well documented.
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the OP is most concerned about feminism, and I don't disagree it's important, it's not my main worry about UKIP.

The main problem is that UKIP is a single-issue party which has claimed it will disband if their 'issue' is settled to their satisfaction. This is a problem bacause while many people are concerned about immigration and the EU, it's one of many, many issues but their supporters see it as the MOST important one and the main parties feel they have to respond and it may well mess up the normal process of the UK electorate voting for government based on ALL the issues.

If we had PR (proper PR, not the faint shadow of it we were offered) then it wouldn't be a problem as people for whom immigration and EU were core topics could vote UKIP and we'd get the appropriate number of MPs in parliament. As it is under FPTP the two biggest parties (esp. Tories) may feel the need to accomodate UKIP policies just to avoid losing support and to get back into power; many other important issues will be pushed aside.

If only we had proper democratic way to choose a government. :(
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not prejudice that would stop decent people wanting to join such an organisation. Ex-member Boris Johnson has called it "a truly shameful vignette of almost superhuman undergraduate arrogance, toffishness and twittishness." :)

Well that seems to say that if you want to join you were not decent but become decent with age when you recognise it for what it was. Decent people do stupid things especially in their plooky youth and possibly a little later. WE are spoilt for choice with regards examples.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,752
    Forum Member
    I've often found that it's not that they're free of prejudice, just that they only ever recognise it in others.

If there are any it should be easy enough to find the evidence, After all the links between the equally violent UAF and Labour are pretty well documented.

David Cameron is also a supporter of UAF
    Cannot see him backing the EDL
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is quite scary.

There is a possibility that 2015 could throw up a freak result.

A UKIP and Tory government would mean irreparable changes to this county.

I can see why people are upset about immigration, about Europe, but it's not the be all and and all and a price worth paying in regards to what the likes of UKIP would get up to elesewhere.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll never understand why some people wish to hand the government more power to do whatever they like with them and to hand work bosses the same. Both of those things come under UKIP.
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    I am slightly more concerned about the comments from 'Peter' the Ukip small & medium business spokesperson..... sorry, spokesMAN (eeeh It takes me right back to the 70s)

I'd have thought you'd be nostalgic for the '70s given that trades' unions were much more powerful and most of the major industries were nationalised.

"Spokesman" is the correct term as he's male. If we didn't know the gender the person would be a "spokesperson". To me the term is as grating as pronouncing "aitch" as "haitch", or is that now the politically correct way of pronouncing it?

Anyway, I still prefer "personnel" to the hideous and insulting "human resources". I am a person when being referred to as a non-gender specific group. I am not a "human resource", which is ironically dehumanising.

And "I am a free man !"
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moonbean wrote: »
    However, I wonder if the people who support UKIP know anything about (or care about) their rather worrying lack of interest in supporting the women of Britain. As a woman, I was more than a little shocked to see that Nigel Farage wants to do away with paid maternity leave and that he himself thinks that any company which employes a young, single woman is crazy (supposedly because they might one day decide to have a family).

Believe it or not those who may decide to vote for UKIP pay as much attention to the news as you do. There are so many people at the moment eager to "educate" potential UKIP voters. Who says any of them need educating? Just because you may not agree with a particular policy doesn't mean others can't.

I feel your concern is genuine and well placed. However your point above seems incorrect. The comment's Nigel made regarding employment were explained in detail at the time. His point was that in the financial sector.. a very competitive work place where client contact relationships are vital.. his point was if a woman who wants to make this her career were to have children this may cause a problem due to her absence from the work place and her client relationships suffering as a result.

Explained here:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/20/nigel-farage-women-sacrifice-family-succeed-finance-ukip

Agree or not, he's entitled to his opinion. And it's one that appears to be shared by the tech sector with some silicon valley tech companies offering female employees the option of freezing their eggs to use later in their careers to allow them to focus on their work. I personally don't agree with the idea but it's a similar issue as Nigel touched on.
  • Options
    DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]
    David Cameron is also a supporter of UAF
    Cannot see him backing the EDL

Extreme left, extreme right...both just as bad and need to be under control......BTW, where is it documented that the "shiney faced git" Cameron is a UAF supporter...funded and supported by Labour I think you'll find.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dacco wrote: »
    Extreme left, extreme right...both just as bad and need to be under control......BTW, where is it documented that the "shiney faced git" Cameron is a UAF supporter...funded and supported by Labour I think you'll find.

David Cameron was one of the signatories to the UAF founding statement
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    It is quite scary.

There is a possibility that 2015 could throw up a freak result.

A UKIP and Tory government would mean irreparable changes to this county.

I can see why people are upset about immigration, about Europe, but it's not the be all and and all and a price worth paying in regards to what the likes of UKIP would get up to elesewhere.

Nothing is irreparable.

Sometimes things need to be broken in order to allow them to be fixed.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    What is there to be scared of exactly? Wanting the UK to be a truly independent nation with control of its laws like the 180 plus nations outside the EU?

We get a referendum and potentially vote to leave the EU - and Cameron, Clegg and Miliband as a result really are in charge of running the country?! Now the latter prospect is possibly truly scary!:D
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the links between the EDL and UKIP? I would be worried about any party who had ties with the EDL.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/04/edls-tommy-robinson-endorses-ukip-_n_3014019.html
    EDL's Tommy Robinson Endorses Ukip: 'They Are Saying Exactly What We Say In A Different Way'

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/04/english-defence-league-urges-nationalist-parties-to-stand-aside-for-ukip-3583323/
    English Defence League urges nationalist parties to ‘stand aside’ for Ukip

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2013/04/racist-english-defence-league-announce-support-for-ukip/
    Racist English Defence League announce support for UKIP

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11194901/BNP-splinter-group-praises-Mark-Reckless-and-says-Ukip-is-singing-from-same-hymn-sheet.html?ref=hihidnews
    BNP splinter group praises Mark Reckless and says Ukip is 'singing from same hymn sheet'

Jayda Fransen, Britain First's deputy leader, said there was "absolutely" no difference between the two parties, despite Nigel Farage repeatedly disassociating Ukip from far-right groups.

She also praised Mr Reckless's defection from the Tories and urged Britain First supporters considering backing a larger party to vote Ukip in this month's Rochester by-election.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    I'd have thought you'd be nostalgic for the '70s given that trades' unions were much more powerful and most of the major industries were nationalised.

"Spokesman" is the correct term as he's male. If we didn't know the gender the person would be a "spokesperson". To me the term is as grating as pronouncing "aitch" as "haitch", or is that now the politically correct way of pronouncing it?

Anyway, I still prefer "personnel" to the hideous and insulting "human resources". I am a person when being referred to as a non-gender specific group. I am not a "human resource", which is ironically dehumanising.

And "I am a free man !"

Calm down me old china, I was having a giraffe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks OHG
    Informative as always
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    You sort of get a feeling of déjà vous - we have just seen classic examples of the usual UKIP voters and supporters are all fascists and Nazis nonsense we see too often on here and it gets just a little tedious. It's a pity that certain anti UKIP posters on here would rather dredge up dirt from the gutter and engage in endless guilt by very indirect association than debate the issues around EU membership and the government of our country.
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    You sort of get a feeling of déjà vous - we have just seen classic examples of the usual UKIP voters and supporters are all fascists and Nazis nonsense we see too often on here and it gets just a little tedious. It's a pity that certain anti UKIP posters on here would rather dredge up dirt from the gutter and engage in endless guilt by very indirect association than debate the issues around EU membership and the government of our country.

The same thing happens eventually on virtually every thread in Politics. Dig for dirt on UKIP, call their followers all the names under the sun and then accuse them of being bigoted.

Honestly, some people have been so brainwashed they'd argue that black was white if they thought it was the right thing to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Read the thread title again
    Perfect place to bring up what posters find worrying about UKIP
    One of the issues is the links that UKIP may have with the EDL and other such groups
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Read the thread title again
    Perfect place to bring up what posters find worrying about UKIP
    One of the issues is the links that UKIP may have with the EDL and other such groups

Those links do not demonstrate a link between UKIP and the EDL.

What they do demonstrate, however, is the willingness of racists and xenophobes to support UKIP.

To date, UKIP have shown no inclination whatsoever to distance themselves from such people. UKIP supporters are, generally, more extreme than the UKIP top brass like to present.

If UKIP supporters don't like this being said, tough. That's free speech for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The same thing happens eventually on virtually every thread in Politics. Dig for dirt on UKIP, call their followers all the names under the sun and then accuse them of being bigoted.

Honestly, some people have been so brainwashed they'd argue that black was white if they thought it was the right thing to do.

This happens to every party on here but only Kipsters start bleating about it
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member

Oh the irony...
    warlord wrote: »
    The most bigoted and prejudiced people are the ones who claim to be "progressive" and "liberal".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This happens to every party on here but only Kipsters start bleating about it

I'm not sure it does. I don't know who I'm going to vote for next May (although I definitely know who I'm not going to vote for) so I am by no means a 'Kipster', but the vitriol towards UKIP seems to go much further than it does with the other parties.

There don't seem to be any rules, no line that you don't cross - unlike LibLabCon. It seems to be perfectly acceptable to call any UKIP member or supporter whatever you like, and the rest of the loony left snigger from on high.

I've never seen this before in UK politics. One thing's for sure, next year's GE is going to be interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure it does. I don't know who I'm going to vote for next May (although I definitely know who I'm not going to vote for) so I am by no means a 'Kipster', but the vitriol towards UKIP seems to go much further than it does with the other parties.

There don't seem to be any rules, no line that you don't cross - unlike LibLabCon. It seems to be perfectly acceptable to call any UKIP member or supporter whatever you like, and the rest of the loony left snigger from on high.

I've never seen this before in UK politics. One thing's for sure, next year's GE is going to be interesting.

Care to point out any lines that have been crossed in this thread?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Care to point out any lines that have been crossed in this thread?

I could, but I get the feeling that for some people there is no line as far as UKIP is concerned. Which was my previous point.