Options

Why don't People Who dont like Football, Not Like Football ?

Comments

• Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who pays for season tickets, replica shirts, Sky subscriptions etc these days is just a mug. The players are total mercenaries who show no loyalty to either their 'club' or the fans. It's one big joke and the fans are the butt of it.
    I would really like to be able to disagree with that statement, but that is what it does look like, if you look at it from a distance
  • Options
    Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because perhaps different people are into different things? For God's sake.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the people involved utterly bland and uninteresting. You get the odd character like Cantona or Mourinho, but the vast majority of footballers seem to have nothing interesting about them whatsoever.
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I would really like to be able to disagree with that statement, but that is what it does look like, if you look at it from a distance

That's what I've done - distanced myself from it. And all of a sudden you can see it differently. I don't really understand what affinity fans have with their clubs and, more specifically, the players these days. I'm talking Premier League here.

Man City, for instance. What's all that about? They were the perennial bridemaids, never won anything, always overshadowed by their illustrious neighbours, but the fans knew that and supported them through thick and (mostly) thin. No superstars, just workmanlike players, many of them local, having made their way through the club's youth system.

Basically the fans were cut from the same cloth as the players.

And now look at it. Their fans should be digusted with themselves - and would have been if you'd told them 10 years ago what was going to happen. It was roughly the same time money took over football that I washed my hands of it. I'd rather watch my local Conference team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I've done - distanced myself from it. And all of a sudden you can see it differently. I don't really understand what affinity fans have with their clubs and, more specifically, the players these days. I'm talking Premier League here.

Man City, for instance. What's all that about? They were the perennial bridemaids, never won anything, always overshadowed by their illustrious neighbours, but the fans knew that and supported them through thick and (mostly) thin. No superstars, just workmanlike players, many of them local, having made their way through the club's youth system.

Basically the fans were cut from the same cloth as the players.

And now look at it. Their fans should be digusted with themselves - and would have been if you'd told them 10 years ago what was going to happen. It was roughly the same time money took over football that I washed my hands of it. I'd rather watch my local Conference team.
    my basic understanding is that its as much about the other fans, as and being together as it is the club in question.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was cr*p at football at school, so I obviously didn't play any once I'd left. Same with cricket ... I was usually out first ball. And the first time I actually caught a moving cricket ball hurt so much that I never even tried after that.
    Xela M wrote: »
    I find men who don't like football weird. It lowers my opinion of them immediately. (I'm a woman).

But, if I recall correctly, you feel that the most important thing about a man is how good looking he is. That rather lowers my opinion of a woman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my basic understanding is that its as much about the other fans, as and being together as it is the club in question.

But if a billionaire buys your club and changes it beyond all recognition, how is it still 'your club'?

Let's say some Russian oligarch buys Crystal Palace, changes the name to London Eagles, changes the strip colour to orange, builds a massive new stadium and buys in a squad of foreign mercenaries being paid more in a week than you'll ever earn in your life, what would you do if you were a Palace fan?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,344
    Forum Member
    Not being a sexy, but I am in my forties and when I was a kid women simply didn't like football, they like Coronation Street and later EastEnders.

Now though most people, including the pretty ones with boobs, seem to have a team.

But, there are still folk out there who don't like football.

:confused: Does anyone out there know what language this is?
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I find men who don't like football weird. It lowers my opinion of them immediately. (I'm a woman).

Gosh, it would destroy my life completely to realise that your
    opinion of me would be lowered in such circumstances... :(:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if a billionaire buys your club and changes it beyond all recognition, how is it still 'your club'?

Let's say some Russian oligarch buys Crystal Palace, changes the name to London Eagles, changes the strip colour to orange, builds a massive new stadium and buys in a squad of foreign mercenaries being paid more in a week than you'll ever earn in your life, what would you do if you were a Palace fan?
    I agree, that kind of thing looks rather false, howver to my knowledge no UK team has had such a drastic name change, and new stadiums are generally welcomes by fans.

As far as your "foreign mercenaries being paid more in a week than you'll ever earn in your life" well lots of teams are already like that, even without the packing of Russian oligarch (however I should note I dont know the make up of Crystal Palace current team).

Its easy to take ownership of a team, and im sure in that sitution you will find other fans who agreed with your view on the changes to your team.

Some of this is about if you were bought up as a fan of something or not
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, that kind of thing looks rather false, howver to my knowledge no UK team has had such a drastic name change, and new stadiums are generally welcomes by fans.

As far as your "foreign mercenaries being paid more in a week than you'll ever earn in your life" well lots of teams are already like that, even without the packing of Russian oligarch (however I should note I dont know the make up of Crystal Palace current team).

Its easy to take ownership of a team, and im sure in that sitution you will find other fans who agreed with your view on the changes to your team.

Some of this is about if you were bought up as a fan of something or not

I'm sure it'll happen eventually. Hull City's owner has said he will sell the club if they don't change their name to Hull Tigers, for instance.

It seems - to me at least - that a lot of fans are like sheep and will firecely support their club no matter what happens to it. Almost like they're brainwashed.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told when I was young 'never trust a man who claims not to like football'

And I haven't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And I haven't

Wow. That's like so cool. You're my hero.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member

And I haven't

Agree with this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. That's like so cool. You're my hero.

Cool. I don't trust you though
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

And I haven't

Why?

I don't think any of the male members of either side of my family liked football either think they all thought it was very dull.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?

I don't think any of the male members of either side of my family liked football either think they all thought it was very dull.

Because it hasn't done me wrong so far. All the men I've known who didn't like football were people I didn't need in my life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Men who like footy= real men

Men who don't = sweat geeks who are into Star Trek and comics

Maybe harsh but true lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because it hasn't done me wrong so far. All the men I've known who didn't like football were people I didn't need in my life.

The counter argmunt could be all the people I have known who did like I didn't need.

I would say maybe if you grew up watching it your more likely to like it but I don't think that is so true as most of the things I like the most my parents or older family didn't like (Pro Wrestling -Horror -Sci fi) only things we ever really liked to watch together was classic comedy shows and films (Carry Ons-Dads Army-On The Buses ect) My Mum is obsessed with true life movies and Documentaries but I hate them (Though a big reason is I don't like to know that really happened to someone it kinda upsets me)

Maybe it's just some people like it others don't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Donnagee wrote: »
    Men who like footy= real men

Men who don't = sweat geeks who are into Star Trek and comics

Maybe harsh but true lol

What's wrong with Star Trek?

I have no problems with you so just this message

http://s29.postimg.org/jwqp0l9rb/Live_Long.jpg

I love my comics to and what is a sweat geek?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sweaty geek sorry and it's just my personal taste
  • Options
    bigbrotherwafabigbrotherwafa Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Fans Are Too Ugly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Donnagee wrote: »
    Sweaty geek sorry and it's just my personal taste

But what is a Sweaty geek?

I admit I'm a geek I always was and always will be but I don't sweat not even in a heatwave I never get warm enough to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The counter argmunt could be all the people I have known who did like I didn't need.

There's no argument, I didn't say the rule worked for everybody. Obviously the people I don't trust fall into a different circle of trust with people with different interests. It works for me and until I'm proved wrong I'm sticking with it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But what is a Sweaty geek?

I admit I'm a geek I always was and always will be but I don't sweat not even in a heatwave I never get warm enough to.

Beard long hair black t shirt and usually likes wrestling or Star Trek that type lol