Options

Horse Racing 2014

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,677
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    3 in a row for Richard Hughes as far as flat racing's concerned (champion jockey)
    As hard as they might try to make this exciting every year, it just isn't because it's a two horse race realistically and Ryan Moore doesn't care whether he's champion jockey or not, so if Hughes wants it which he does it's basically his unless he is hit by injury or has a shocker of a season which is most unlikely with the supply of rides he gets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Having said that Graham Lee on 122 winners stands out. That's way ahead of last year when he couldn't quite bring up the century if memory serves.

Harder in the north but he's increasingly getting the pick of the rides so could challenge the big two but he'd need a push from someone like R Fahey who normally uses T Hamilton who I don't rate.

G Lee would convert more of T Hamilton's rides for R Fahey if they came his way.
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    As hard as they might try to make this exciting every year, it just isn't because it's a two horse race realistically and Ryan Moore doesn't care whether he's champion jockey or not, so if Hughes wants it which he does it's basically his unless he is hit by injury or has a shocker of a season which is most unlikely with the supply of rides he gets.

I would argue that he has had a "shocker" this year - some of his "waiting" rides have been absolutely dire ... he can't fail when his trainer is firing in 200 winners per year though.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    On RUK between races at Kempton they were chatting about the jockeys title.......and apparently the best jockey is George Baker

This is what the stats say if you work out how many winners each jockey should ride according to the SPs of all his rides.........and compare that to the actual number of winners they get

I suppose what it means is that Baker 'adds the most value' to his rides

But tempering that they also said that the stats over many seasons show that there's only about 5lbs worth of difference between the best and the worst pro jockeys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    G Baker gave my selection Head Space a peach in the last. Not sure what J Sullivan was doing on this horse LTO at Wolverhampton but ran much better than the bare result there.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impressive Racing Post win by Elm Park bred by Ian Balding's wife Emma. Apparently his sire Phoenix Reach only covered nine mares in the last breeding season, I suspect he'll be getting quite a few more visits from the girls. :)
  • Options
    DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    On RUK between races at Kempton they were chatting about the jockeys title.......and apparently the best jockey is George Baker

This is what the stats say if you work out how many winners each jockey should ride according to the SPs of all his rides.........and compare that to the actual number of winners they get

I suppose what it means is that Baker 'adds the most value' to his rides

But tempering that they also said that the stats over many seasons show that there's only about 5lbs worth of difference between the best and the worst pro jockeys.

This piqued my curiosity so I decided to have a closer look.

I analysed it in two different ways. Firstly, how many winners compared to favourites has a jockey (or trainer actually) had. Secondly, where are they placed in the race compared to where they were in the betting.

George Baker (the jockey) doesn't come near the top in either method. Unsurprisingly, the big guns come near the bottom as they a) have many more runners/rides and b) are not "under the radar".

For the record, using only those trainers or jockeys with runners today, I get the following positives...

Trainers worth noting: I Madden and Michael Chapman
    At Redcar: Chris Fairhurst, Karen Tutty, Shaun Harris, Scott Dixon
    At Galway: I Madden
    At Leicester: Michael Mullineaux
    At Ayr: Diane Sayer, Sandy Thomson
    At Wexford: DE Fitzgerald

Jockeys worth noting: Adam O'Neil, Patrick Mathers, Mr Z Baker.
    At Redcar: Gemma Tutty, Andrew Elliott, Patrick Mathers
    At Ayr: Ryan Mania
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some effort in the saddle from Jamie Spencer last night. Was really hoping he would get there on Toast but not quite to be. Still, the prize money for 2nd wasn't too shabby !

Not a bad way to go if that was his last. No booked rides according to RP as we enter the final week of the flat in the UK but maybe he'll pop up at Doncaster on Saturday with a few fancied ones. I'd imagine they'll be queuing up to book him if he does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see there's a new Bookmaker on the scene.......titanbet

Just seen the rep on RUK.......they're based in Israel and got their UK License on Saturday

They're sponsoring a few of the races at Kempton this afternoon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone bother to shop around for prices now ?

I probably should do but I don't like having my betting bank spread thinly across multiple providers. I just tend to use Betfair all the time now, which isn't as good as it once was for prices (and is useless early) but still good if you fancy something at long odds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone bother to shop around for prices now ?

I probably should do but I don't like having my betting bank spread thinly across multiple providers. I just tend to use Betfair all the time now, which isn't as good as it once was for prices (and is useless early) but still good if you fancy something at long odds.

I've only got the one online account

I don't want to end up flitting from site to site trying to get 11/10 instead of Evens.......if my bookie (Stan James) is offering much less odds on something compared to 'best prices' then I either take what's on offer or don't bet

Speaking of betting I might have a few weeks backing in Chases now that the jumps season is getting going.............you do seem to get a lot of fairly small field chases which are relatively easy to weigh up (famous last words !).........or at least to whittle down to a couple who might win

I'm backing two today.......

1.50 Fak - Chestnut Ben - 7/4 bog
    2.00 Muss - Shine a Diamond - 11/10 bog

short odds but they're both 4/5 runner races with a couple of no hopers in each and if one of them wins I'll be 'up' on the day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One winner.......finish up on the day :)

Shine a Diamond won......every other runner fell, all independently of each other......and he finished alone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well done. :)

I'll be focussing on the All Weather now. Only have the odd bet on the NH except Cheltenham week where I get a bit more involved. I'm already enjoying having less racecards to go through!!

Talking of the All Weather, that was a nasty spill at Wolverhampton tonight involving 5 separate jockeys and horses. A clipped heels incident involving an apprentice brought down three with another unseating independently. Most of the jockeys able to walk away with only minor injuries except Richard Kingscote who suffered a compound fracture and might be out for a while.
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done. :)

I'll be focussing on the All Weather now. Only have the odd bet on the NH except Cheltenham week where I get a bit more involved. I'm already enjoying having less racecards to go through!!

Talking of the All Weather, that was a nasty spill at Wolverhampton tonight involving 5 separate jockeys and horses. A clipped heels incident involving an apprentice brought down three with another unseating independently. Most of the jockeys able to walk away with only minor injuries except Richard Kingscote who suffered a compound fracture and might be out for a while.

It just said on the radio that Paul Hanagan broke his collar bone and one of the horses, fitz Flyer, was also killed

Haven't seen the incident but it sounds horrible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    1.40 Font - Carhue princess - 9/4 bog

Only 3 runners........I'm thinking the other two might get tailed off whilst my horse plods round in her own time

I've got a couple for later but they're both around Evens and I might only play them if this one wins so I can play with winnings rather than chase losses......:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh well........take the rest of the day off !.......:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    what a bummer.......both the other two won

>:(

Sod's law .........:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bit of a kerfuffle brewing after the big handicap chase of the day, the Badger Ales at Wincanton, was won by a horse who it turns out wasn't qualified to run under the race conditions

The Young Master had only run in 2 chases prior to today and the race conditions state that horses had to have run 3 times in chases.......

The connections of the 2nd horse home have said they are not going to lodge an objection.......but the BHA are to hold an investigation and presumably will disqualify the winner in due course
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Godolphin appoint William Buick (Charlie Appleby) and James Doyle (Saeed Bin Suroor) as first jockeys for the operation from next season. De Sousa's contract wasn't renewed and he won't be riding for them at all.

Not surprised about Buick - was always on the cards based on recent riding arrangements - but a little surprised about Doyle as things seemed to be going well with Juddmonte. Could this pave the way for Queally to wear those colours again? Or maybe someone like Martin Harley? And likewise who Gosden will use? Rab Havlin could get promoted to first rider but seems unlikely.
  • Options
    DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Godolphin appoint William Buick (Charlie Appleby) and James Doyle (Saeed Bin Suroor) as first jockeys for the operation from next season. De Sousa's contract wasn't renewed and he won't be riding for them at all.

Not surprised about Buick - was always on the cards based on recent riding arrangements - but a little surprised about Doyle as things seemed to be going well with Juddmonte. Could this pave the way for Queally to wear those colours again? Or maybe someone like Martin Harley? And likewise who Gosden will use? Rab Havlin could get promoted to first rider but seems unlikely.

It's difficult to tell where things are going with Juddmonte. Prince Khalid bin Abdullah is in his late 70s, is semi-retired now and I don't know what their long term plans are. Now that their two big guns from 2014 are both retired (Kingman and Noble Mission), maybe James Doyle's felt it was a good time to move on.

It'll also be interesting to see what happens to SDS now that Godolphin haven't retained him.

I see in other Godolphin news, Princess Haya's green and black colours are no more and her horses will run under her husbands blue colours, but the horses will be trained by Gosden. I know Godolphin have kept horses with their original trainers when they've purchased them (e.g Dawn Approach with Bolger), but I think this is a first for the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    James Willoughby has just told a joke on RUK......

The Proclaimers are playing Wetherby after racing next week........the fans are looking forward to hearing their big hit which has been renamed 'I would walk 506 miles, 132 yards'

not bad........:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just read on the ATR website that Hugh Taylor has found 10 winners from his last 18 selections prior to today. His first selection today Anastazia has just won at Kempon Park at 10/1.

The man's on fire !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Handicap hurdle for Flat jockeys on ATR at 2:30.

Probably due to the ground at Lingfield only a small field of 5 runners for this novelty race - think 14 initially were declared - but notably Jamie Spencer is taking part, along with Fergus Sweeney, Martin Lane, Paddy Aspell and Declan Bates.
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Bit of a kerfuffle brewing after the big handicap chase of the day, the Badger Ales at Wincanton, was won by a horse who it turns out wasn't qualified to run under the race conditions

The Young Master had only run in 2 chases prior to today and the race conditions state that horses had to have run 3 times in chases.......

The connections of the 2nd horse home have said they are not going to lodge an objection.......but the BHA are to hold an investigation and presumably will disqualify the winner in due course

The Young Master has been disqualified from the Badger Ales Trophy at Wincanton last Saturday following a British Horseracing Authority disciplinary

The Young Master was raised a stone in the ratings by the handicapper earlier this week, but Mulholland had considered turning him out quickly under a 7lb penalty in the Opus Energy Amateur Riders' Handicap Chase at Cheltenham on Friday.

.http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/9562568/the-young-master-disqualified-from-the-badger-ales-trophy-at-wincanton

Up a stone and he didn't win the race :o
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news

Dessie Hughes, who won the Champion Hurdle as both a jockey and a trainer, has died at the age of 71.
    Hughes, who had been battling illness, is survived by his wife Eileen, son and three-time champion Flat jockey Richard and daughter Sandra.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/2/9566356/dessie-hughes-dies-aged-71