Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fayemian wrote: »
    I mooted on another thread about would it have been better to get another actress in? Even if you just saw her in the background with a big hat at the wedding, and leaving with Amy because she was upset (in fact maybe Deirdre was supposed to have done this, her going with Mary was just odd.)

Then when they were back in the house saying she was in the other room making calls to the guests about returning the gifts or something?

I remember not long after Ken returned from his long stint away and him & Deirdre were getting in their car to go on the caravan holiday. There was a goodbye scene with Tracy outside where a woman (who was meant to be Deirdre) got into the passenger side without being spoken to and Ken and Tracy had a long conversation before he got in the car. I'm guessing Anne wasn't around on that day either so they covered her absence with a stand in so maybe they could have tried something similar for the wedding.
  • Options
    CharkyCharky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mooted on another thread about would it have been better to get another actress in? Even if you just saw her in the background with a big hat at the wedding, and leaving with Amy because she was upset (in fact maybe Deirdre was supposed to have done this, her going with Mary was just odd.)

Then when they were back in the house saying she was in the other room making calls to the guests about returning the gifts or something?

Yes, you're right, they could have done this and it would have made much more sense. When Ann Kirkbride comes back, it's going to look a bit strange her just saying sorry that she couldn't make the wedding because of Bev and getting away with that. In a lot of families there would be a big fall-out I should imagine.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,996
    Forum Member

I thought it'd have been better to just refer to Deirdre being at the wedding rather than go with such a stupid and unlikely reason for her not going. As you say she could have been seen from the back.

Otherwise they could have come up with a broken leg or food poisoning on the day - though it's hard to think of anything that would keep Deirdre away now Rob's been revealed as the murderer as well.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    It's always so nice of the police to allow the person they're arresting time to have their final conversation for dramatic purposes... *rolls eyes*
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol...

My wife would have something to say about that being over that age!

Older women don't have to dress like frumps as you call them, but they should dress with some dignity and self respect and not like some drag artist caked in make-up and skimpy poorly fitting clothes.

Older women can dress exactly how they like - there's no 'should' about it.
  • Options
    fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charky wrote: »
    Yes, you're right, they could have done this and it would have made much more sense. When Ann Kirkbride comes back, it's going to look a bit strange her just saying sorry that she couldn't make the wedding because of Bev and getting away with that. In a lot of families there would be a big fall-out I should imagine.

And THEN maybe had the Deirdre actress on the phone to Bev offering her condolences but saying she couldn't possibly come away at the moment...with Tracy overhearing and saying she's been great but insisting she go, and her and Amy will be fine. So you'd only see the new actress for a couple of minutes maybe even sideways on, use the same 'excuse' for her being away but it would just be a bit more plausible!

They should give me a job :D
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like the abandoned warehouse where they met, there's loads of these dotted about that people can meet in, really plausible
  • Options
    fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevepjk wrote: »
    Like the abandoned warehouse where they met, there's loads of these dotted about that people can meet in, really plausible

Yeah, they're never tinned up or fenced off are they? :D

Admittedly Corrie has actually surprised me for the first time in about a decade though, didn't see that outcome coming :o
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see we had yet another case of a car appearing conveniently so that Tracy could screech off in it! Corrie should really call in some paranormal investigators to look into this mysterious phenomena!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Maria is hardly a frump though, she's gorgeous:o
    I think it's believable Luke would be sniffing around her.

Ooh I dunno. She was wearing a flowery frock and a cardie tonight. That's the uniform of frumps and older women. She clearly needs to see Michelle Connor for some styling tips! :D;-)
  • Options
    willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Simply because they might assume (rightly or wrongly) that she might secretly be looking for a father figure for her young son. Would Luke really be interested in Maria? He's good looking and in his mid twenties.....you would have thought he would have far more options for dating than an older single mum like Maria.
    I don't see why he wouldn't be interested in Maria. She's a gorgeous girl, arguably in the Top 3 best looking on Corrie; for some men it might even be a preference for the woman to have a kid already - not necessarily in Luke's case of course, but there's no correlation between the two.
    Exactly, there's nothing wrong with Maria, she's very attractive.
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel94 wrote: »
    It's always so nice of the police to allow the person they're arresting time to have their final conversation for dramatic purposes... *rolls eyes*

I liked the way that, after they'd been talking for a good five minutes, we suddenly heard the sound of sirens to signal approaching Police. Surely if Tracy had tipped them off as to what was going to happen, they'd have already been there, even if they were being kind enough to allow them a few last moments together?!

And there was also a helicopter judging by the sound effects! :D
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll miss Rob and his tiny eyes
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Not a SOR, but Sean's leopard print top tonight, frequent smutterings of 'What can I get you, cock?' behind the bar..........channeling Bet Lynch?

Get the impression the writers think they can turn present-day characters into golden oldies; Steve and Michelle are not the next Jack and Vera!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a SOR, but Sean's leopard print top tonight, frequent smutterings of 'What can I get you, cock?' behind the bar..........channeling Bet Lynch?

Get the impression the writers think they can turn present-day characters into golden oldies; Steve and Michelle are not the next Jack and Vera!!

He'll be wearing some of Bet's earrings next!

Jack and Vera were lovable fools. Steve might fit but Michelle certainly doesn't. Fiz and Ty don't come close either.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

All nice and lit up inside for them as well. Most convenient.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or upstairs playing tapes :D
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Possibly the same abandoned warehouse used by the Windass's evil uncle one time to attack Joe McIntyre? (or someone else perhaps?)
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I'll miss Rob and his tiny eyes

Yes, I always thought he had eyes like a piglet! :o
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly the same abandoned warehouse used by the Windass's evil uncle one time to attack Joe McIntyre? (or someone else perhaps?)

And where Jez Quiley and his 'associates' beat up Steve McDonald!
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree completely that she's gorgeous and she looks young for her age too. I still think having a son would be a complicating factor vis a vis her love live though. Who was looking after him this evening while she was in the pub flirting with Luke by the way?
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Agree completely that she's gorgeous and she looks young for her age too. I still think having a son would be a complicating factor vis a vis her love live though. Who was looking after him this evening while she was in the pub flirting with Luke by the way?
    The never seen babysitter probably( No soap ever deals with childcare at all realistic. Characters spend hours in the pub every week despite not being wealthy people.)
    When was the last time we saw Liam or Jack( He must have been at the same babysitter as Kevin was in the Pub.)
  • Options
    avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    The never seen babysitter probably( No soap ever deals with childcare at all realistic. Characters spend hours in the pub every week despite not being wealthy people.)
    When was the last time we saw Liam or Jack( He must have been at the same babysitter as Kevin was in the Pub.)

We last saw Liam when he was looking in Kylie's drug filled bag at the Salon. Not sure how long ago that was.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,445
    Forum Member
    OK, they have explained Deirdre's absence (albeit pathetic) from Tracey's wedding because of Bev's bereavement but how on earth can they explain her further absence in the wake of what's been going on. They can't, surely.

TPTB just didn't think it through properly in the first place. There is so much going on in the Barlow household at the moment that her absence is unbelievable.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was that a question or an invitation? ;-)
This discussion has been closed.