Options

Where are you going on holiday?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Or if you have recently been please share your experiences.

Just booked myself a last minute trip to Amsterdam for a 3-day break.. Flying out from Gatwick this Wednesday... oops I mean Tuesday. Never been there before so i'm quite excited :)

Edit: just checked my ticket & it's tomorrow not Wednesday :o

Comments

• Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not been on a holiday in many years. Not having one any time soon.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll enjoy it; I go to Switzerland and Italy as I've friends there
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Went to Italy 3 years ago but just cant afford anything like that now.

If Im skint what I usually do is go see some friends up in London, up north etc and I make a week or weekend out of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    Not been on a holiday in many years. Not having one any time soon.

:(

I'm single with no friends so I'm going by myself but could do with a companion...;)
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amsterdam's great, beware if you're trying to cross the road and are hard of hearing/Deaf/deafened, those cycles come at you from the wrong side of the road and you can't hear the buggers approaching!

Not going anywhere this year, or maybe not for the entire future but I love people's holiday stories :)

Last proper holiday was Haraki in Rhodes, my fave place on the planet.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charaki
  • Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    L.A in February, hopefully somewhere in August too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    Went to Italy 3 years ago but just cant afford anything like that now.

If Im skint what I usually do is go see some friends up in London, up north etc and I make a week or weekend out of it.

Tbh going to the continent isn't that much more expensive than staying in the UK. My flights are £130 return by easyjet, hotel is €180 (£140), so about £300 + spending money. Not too bad :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Amsterdam's great, beware if you're trying to cross the road and are hard of hearing/Deaf/deafened, those cycles come at you from the wrong side of the road and you can't hear the buggers approaching!

Not going anywhere this year, or maybe not for the entire future but I love people's holiday stories :)

Last proper holiday was Haraki in Rhodes, my fave place on the planet.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charaki

Rhodes sounds lovely :)
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »

Rhodes sounds lovely :)

Rhodes is amazing seriously. I always seem to go Pefkos mind but it's quiet :D

I went to Portugal this September, such a relaxing holiday, what I needed after a long summer of working and recharging my batteries to start uni :p Almost went to London for a few days but we didn't go as we had to be realistic about money :\

Not sure about next year's holiday yet :p
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CrazyLoop wrote: »

I went to Portugal this September, such a relaxing holiday, what I needed after a long summer of working and recharging my batteries to start uni :p Almost went to London for a few days but we didn't go as we had to be realistic about money :\

Oh I love Rhodes! I call it my second home, I was lucky enough to work there a few times and fell in love with it.

Beautiful weather, stunning scenery and the nicest people you could meet :)
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been on holiday since 2009 (used to go to Berlin 3 times a year then had to save to move here). But we decided last week to save up to go to Iceland at the end of next year for both our 30th birthdays and 14th anniversary together. I'm looking forward to bumming about in a lagoon watching an aurora whilst drinking beer. I've always wanted to go there.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already here in Naples Florida. Enjoying the heat, not so much the stinking cold I caught on the plane over...:(
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    I haven't been on holiday since 2009 (used to go to Berlin 3 times a year then had to save to move here). But we decided last week to save up to go to Iceland at the end of next year for both our 30th birthdays and 14th anniversary together. I'm looking forward to bumming about in a lagoon watching an aurora whilst drinking beer. I've always wanted to go there.

I've been trying to persuade the missus to go to Iceland for years, she's never fancied it so I reckon i'll be doing a solo trip before long!
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Or if you have recently been please share your experiences.

Just booked myself a last minute trip to Amsterdam for a 3-day break.. Flying out from Gatwick this Wednesday... oops I mean Tuesday. Never been there before so i'm quite excited :)

Edit: just checked my ticket & it's tomorrow not Wednesday :o

Amsterdam is a wonderful place, I have many friends there.

Basic words for you to take are:

Bedankt - thank you.

Wat kost het? - what does it cost?

een bier - a beer.

Whilst you are there try the pancake house...absolutely wonderful.

In answer to your question, my holiday will be to the Scottish Highlands again.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »

I know what you mean. You really have to keep your wits about you and try to remember they ride on the wrong side of the road. :)

Also there are trams is other parts of the country you have to watch out for.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Kefalonia twice this year. Next holiday is in June next year to Crete for our honeymoon :)
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,283
    Forum Member
    Nowhere. I am having two weeks off in January. But that's mainly because our kitchen, bathrooms, lounge room & hallway are getting a complete re-do.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    CrazyLoop wrote: »

Ah we love Pefkos! Been twice 2 years back. Going next September for our second holiday of the year. We stayed in what was called Tzina apartments, now called Lemon tree or something and then in Stella apartments.

Miss Kostas and Dimitris from Oasis :(
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :(

I'm single with no friends so I'm going by myself but could do with a companion...;)
    Haha,I think my missus would have something to say about that :D
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been trying to persuade the missus to go to Iceland for years, she's never fancied it so I reckon i'll be doing a solo trip before long!

From what I've heard from friends, you won't regret it. Go onnnnnn ;)
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to Portugal (Algarve) this summer with my daughter and best friend. Loved it. Beautiful place, great weather, lovely people and not as commrcial and touristy as Spain.

My family live in Germany, so I'm always travelling between London and Germany and will be going back for Christmas.

To anyone on this thread who says they can't afford a trip abroad... Have you looked into megabus? They are amazing in terms of value for money and it sometimes only costs me 30 pounds from London to Cologne RETURN. That's much cheaper than my recent trip from London to Manchester.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vix77 wrote: »
    Oh I love Rhodes! I call it my second home, I was lucky enough to work there a few times and fell in love with it.

Beautiful weather, stunning scenery and the nicest people you could meet :)
    Hear hear
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Kefalonia twice this year. Next holiday is in June next year to Crete for our honeymoon :)
    Lovely place isn't it? Been there twice too lol
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Ah we love Pefkos! Been twice 2 years back. Going next September for our second holiday of the year. We stayed in what was called Tzina apartments, now called Lemon tree or something and then in Stella apartments.

Miss Kostas and Dimitris from Oasis :(
    Yaaaay :) I've been twice (2006 & 2012). But my Mum's been three times :o:D
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit too early to say but hoping for:

UK/Copenhagen/Washington DC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Already here in Naples Florida. Enjoying the heat, not so much the stinking cold I caught on the plane over...:(

Planes are notorious for catching infections... In an enclosed cabin breathing dry recirculated air with lots of other people in close proximity... :(

Get better soon :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »
    Amsterdam is a wonderful place, I have many friends there.

Basic words for you to take are:

Bedankt - thank you.

Wat kost het? - what does it cost?

een bier - a beer.

Whilst you are there try the pancake house...absolutely wonderful.

In answer to your question, my holiday will be to the Scottish Highlands again.

Thank you :)

The Highlands are wonderful & scenery at this time is gorgeous... I was actually in Inverness last week ;)