Options

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part.1

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one thing that annoyed me about Mockingjay was the ending. Mainly how rushed it seemed to be, it seemed to speed by in a blur of Katniss going insane. Wasn't keen on the trial that went on after she killed Coin, didn't have a clue what was going on when she was in her room, I felt that could of been explained better. Also wish the epilogue would of been a bit more fleshed out. Hopefully the film will expand on both a bit more.

The other thing that annoyed me was Finnick and Prim dying. Oh the feels :(

Really can't wait for these films. Despite being my least favourite book, I still insanely love all 3.
  • Options
    Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willz wrote: »
    The one thing that annoyed me about Mockingjay was the ending. Mainly how rushed it seemed to be, it seemed to speed by in a blur of Katniss going insane. Wasn't keen on the trial that went on after she killed Coin, didn't have a clue what was going on when she was in her room, I felt that could of been explained better. Also wish the epilogue would of been a bit more fleshed out. Hopefully the film will expand on both a bit more.

The other thing that annoyed me was Finnick and Prim dying. Oh the feels :(

Really can't wait for these films. Despite being my least favourite book, I still insanely love all 3.

I agree with all of this. Also:
    She ended up with that lameo Peeta. Seriously WTF?
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,496
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »

The Mail's just peeved because the bad guys in Hunger Games are their good guys.
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »

Thanks Daily Mail. After that hand-wringing article, we know the film isn't gonna pull any punches in terms of depicting the book's brutality.

I was a bit worried Mockingjay would hold off on some of the grimmer aspects like Gary Ross did with the first film, which I thought was too coy in conveying the horror of the games, good as the film was overall. I know that too much bloodshed raises the rating, but all that choppy editing and truncating the timeframe of the games and casting older looking actors who didn't seem terrified, exhausted or hungry enough (it's called the HUNGER games for a reason, Gary) really weakened the impact IMO. Catching Fire handled it so much better...Katniss' PTSD and paranoia, the twisted inventions of the arena, the brutality of the games, etc.

Can't wait to read the critic reviews.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Christ alive. I'd much rather kids watch/read THG than read the hellspawn Mail.
    Can't wait to read the critic reviews.
    THG is largely critic-proof, isn't it?

Anyhow, a rather sniffy 3/5 review in the Indie this morning. Doesn't satisy and doesn't disappoint either, apparently.

Jennifer Lawrence, however, is tremendous. But we knew that anyway.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    got to say despite this being a "young adult fiction" (girl mops around about boy) movie, the trailer does actually make it look quite good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    got to say despite this being a "young adult fiction" (girl mops around about boy) movie, the trailer does actually make it look quite good.

This isn't a 'girl mopes around about a boy' movie. That would be Twilight. It's a dystopian tale of totalitarian control, class power, and media manipulation, with an empowering female protagonist who happens to be a young adult, and yes, there's romance too (like most stories).
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 star review in Time Out with barely a mention of Jennifer Lawrence - makes a change!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't a 'girl mopes around about a boy' movie. That would be Twilight. It's a dystopian tale of totalitarian control, class power, and media manipulation, with an empowering female protagonist who happens to be a young adult, and yes, there's romance too (like most stories).
    so if I was to watch the franchise, I would not be bored of all the lovely dubby stuff?
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    Cannot wait to see this, Might watched parts 1 & 2 on the weekend :)
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think children tend to be more resilient than we expect. Over a decade ago, my wife and I had misgivings over taking our two sons to see 'The Fellowship of the Ring', the film that caused the 12A certificate to be created. There was no such classification at the time, so it was given a PG, complete with terrifying orc heads and limbs being severed in front of us. When my wife and I first saw it (minus children) we agreed that it was way too scary for them (they were eleven and nine respectively at the time). They begged and pleaded, however, and finally we relented on condition that we would leave if either of them became troubled. They both lapped up every minute.

Having written that, anyone who takes a four year-old to see 'The Hunger Games' wants their head examined. A child that young simply would not understand it and would probably have nightmares. That is why the certificate has an A (for 'Advisory') tacked onto it. There won't be anything in it that a well-balanced ten year-old, accompanied by a responsible adult, could not cope with. Just think of the real life horrors they hear about on the television news from time to time. Remember that they already know that 'The Hunger Games' is fiction.

I have read all three books, and they are quite horrific - especially the last one. It remains, however, a story for teenagers primarily, so it would be inappropriate to depict the violence so graphically that many of them would not be allowed in. At the same time, they have to do it justice, so they look to find a reasonable compromise. I thought the first two films did well in that respect, and I look forward to watching the third.
  • Options
    BadmkBadmk Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so if I was to watch the franchise, I would not be bored of all the lovely dubby stuff?

There is barely any lovey dovey stuff. There is a slight romantic triangle but its more about needing different people in different environments. The main themes in the books and films is political satire, the influence of reality tv/media, the horrors of war/violence and its lasting effects including effects on mental health (PTSD etc).
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have the theater chains in the UK started to push forward showtimes like the American chains have? Like what used to be movies starting at Midnight because the release date is Friday, now is 8pm on Thursday, originally I think this was so parents would bring their kids, but now they do it for almost all the movies, are you guys able to see this then on like Wed at 8pm?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Like almost every film going, (and life) there's a romantic angle, but this isn't the film's focus as someone else just described above. If anything, the films (and especially the second one) downplay the books' romantic triangle. But the two men are important in adding richness and complexity to Katniss' character and the choices she makes.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like almost every film going, (and life) there's a romantic angle, but this isn't the film's focus as someone else just described above. If anything, the films (and especially the second one) downplay the books' romantic triangle. But the two men are important in adding richness and complexity to Katniss' character and the choices she makes.

I thought in the first film there was about 15 minutes I could have done without, but yes in general it's not about that. The entire romance is underpinned by a satire on RealityTV (and probably sleb culture in general), faking a romance can make you more popular and a better commodity for the public.

The first film does drag a couple of times though. Took too long getting into the Games, but it was pretty visceral when it started.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,496
    Forum Member
    I thought in the first film there was about 15 minutes I could have done without, but yes in general it's not about that. The entire romance is underpinned by a satire on RealityTV (and probably sleb culture in general), faking a romance can make you more popular and a better commodity for the public.

The first film does drag a couple of times though. Took too long getting into the Games, but it was pretty visceral when it started.

Yes, it was quite a jolt when, barely minutes after the start, they were brutally killing each other. It suddenly brought home the reality of what they'd been training for.
  • Options
    RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    As expected this doesn't really do much more than set things up for part 2 consequently it's difficult to view this as anything other than the weakest instalment so far.

That said, the material doesn't feel like it's been stretched as thin as say 'The Hobbit' and it's still a solid movie in it's own right but viewed in isolation it's nothing special either so overall 7/10 feels like a fair & appropriate score...
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it earlier. It is a good movie but no way as good as Catching Fire was.

Dragged a bit in parts and perhaps was over long but enjoyable all the same.

Made me even more convinced that they should have just made it in to one movie though.

Acting was great throughout especially from the guy who plays Peeta. though occasionally I felt the actress who plays Katniss did sound like she was bored reading some of her lines and wasn't too convincing at times.
  • Options
    SummeririsSummeriris Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As the only lubby dubby stuff is an act and stated as such I think you would be safe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Summeriris wrote: »
    As the only lubby dubby stuff is an act and stated as such I think you would be safe.

have to see if I can get my hands on the other 2 (or 3) movies at some point, before this one comes out on DVD.
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,430
    Forum Member
    Absolutely hated this film... It was slow, boring and unnecessary. They did not need to make this into two movies and it was clear they knew this. It was just a filler film for me, literally nothing really happened.

Katniss became so unlikeable to for me in this film and Jennifer Lawerence (who was amazing in the first two) just wasn't really that good tbh. Still excited for the last movie but P1 was just terrible for me.
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    Absolutely hated this film... It was slow, boring and unnecessary. They did not need to make this into two movies and it was clear they knew this. It was just a filler film for me, literally nothing really happened.

Katniss became so unlikeable to for me in this film and Jennifer Lawerence (who was amazing in the first two) just wasn't really that good tbh. Still excited for the last movie but P1 was just terrible for me.

This film was about character development in preparation for the final film.

In that respect it worked.

However if you are the kind of person that wants loads of action then you will be disappointed by this film.

From what I can make out (I have not read the books) the final book was not as good and parts of the story were rushed.

So what the producers of the movie have decided to do is split the story into two which allows the story to be told at a better pace.

The alternative would have meant that the movie would have to have been 3-4 hours long to tell the story.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    Tyyleer wrote: »

Not seen it yet but based on the book I think that's exactly how it made me feel, I lost some love for Katniss but in the latter part of the book I grew to love her again. its part of the story, its a huge burden for her.

I always new P1 would be a let down as it doesn't need to be 2 movies but it is what it is :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    This film was about character development in preparation for the final film.

In that respect it worked.

However if you are the kind of person that wants loads of action then you will be disappointed by this film.

From what I can make out (I have not read the books) the final book was not as good and parts of the story were rushed.

So what the producers of the movie have decided to do is split the story into two which allows the story to be told at a better pace.

The alternative would have meant that the movie would have to have been 3-4 hours long to tell the story.

I saw it today with someone else who read the book and both of us felt that Mockingjay should be one long film, like Return of the King. There's a clear 3 act structure in the book that would have worked well as an epic movie.
    Act 1 the emotional fallout from Catching Fire, and Katniss' emergence as a propaganda tool, which was most of this film.

Act 2 the fightback intensifies, a brainwashed Peeta is rescued and slowly rehabilitated, Katniss and Gale start to fall out.

Act 3 final climactic events in the Capitol, which play out like another Hunger Games, President Coin developing as a baddie, the tragic denouement and then the epilogue with Peeta and Katniss.

Francis Lawrence did well to make a solid enjoyable film out of what IMO is the weakest portion of the book trilogy but I'm frustrated he was forced to by the bean counters wanting to eke the franchise out. There were a couple of exciting set pieces and my eyes welled up a couple of times, but there's not as many thrilling or moving moments as Catching Fire, and not enough to make me want to rush out and watch it again.

It reminded me of Deathly Hallows Part 1 in that it's good but clearly a place holder, building character motivation and set up for the action-packed final film. It has some fat on it. Some filler. But kudos to the crew and cast. They made the best film they could IMO. Jennifer Lawrence again knocks it out the park. Julianne Moore and P Seymour Hoffman add so much class. And Josh Hutcherson finally gets to act as Peeta.

7/10.