Options

Jessie J - Anyone Find Her Cringy?

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else find her really cringy and desperate? Bang Bang just comes across as her being despertae to have some U.S success by having Ariana and Nicki on the track. When they performed it at the VMA's, Ariana and Nicky were so much better than her. Even in the video, it's Ariana and Nicky that stand out. I just find Jessie so cringy. I used to love Jessie when she was releasing nmusic on You Tube and I thought her first album was decent, but she's gone so downhill and sold herself short. Her msuic is longer interesting and she is just obsessed with doing runs and vocal gymnastics. When she first released ehr debut album I saw her perform at a nightclub in Brighton. When she performed Price Tag, she made the song last 9 minutes long as she did runs for about 4 minutes after the actual song had ended. It was ridiculous. It's not just her music though, her attitude is also awful. She comes across as so desperate to be up there with the big names, but really she's just not as good as them.

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She takes herself too seriously, and as much as i find her recent album a return to form, i am not blind to see that the whole album is an even desperate attempt to appeal to an american market. She is nothing like the girl in those videos who used to sing in her bedroom. She is quite simply just another popstar. I also find her vocal gymnastics annoying and quite simply just damn right showing off. We get it love, you can sing.

I think opinions of her changed a lot after her stint on the voice. Most people I know like her music but not her. The whole "women don't get it any better in the music biz compared to men" that she kept preaching did her no justice.

I don't find her cringey though. That word is what i would describe Lily Allen.
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina Aguilera, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey.

Three female artists that all do vocal gymnastics and trills and runs and they don't get criticised half as much.

Jessie has a seriously big voice and loves to sing. She can do what she wants with it as far as I'm concerned. Her fans love her for what she does because 95% of the current crop of pop stars could not stand on a stage and do what she does and sing like she sings.

I honestly believe that she has one of the best voices of our generation and it saddens me that the likes of Cheryl Cole and Rita Ora are her contemporaries. Jessie has more talent in her fingernail then them two girls put together but no one gives a shit and it's bizarre.

She can do no right it would seem
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »

Three female artists that all do vocal gymnastics and trills and runs and they don't get criticised half as much.

Jessie has a seriously big voice and loves to sing. She can do what she wants with it as far as I'm concerned. Her fans love her for what she does because 95% of the current crop of pop stars could not stand on a stage and do what she does and sing like she sings.

I honestly believe that she has one of the best voices of our generation and it saddens me that the likes of Cheryl Cole and Rita Ora are her contemporaries. Jessie has more talent in her fingernail then them two girls put together but no one gives a shit and it's bizarre.

I wouldn't say she has the voice of a generation. That is a very big credit to give to someone. With Whitney, Mariah, and Christina (though I think Celine would be more applicable here), it is about the whole package. Perfect tone, power, range, clarity, timbre, resonance, everything! Also, the songs to go with it: where are Jessie J's timeless hits? Furthermore, she isn't really very diverse and a lot of people seem to mistake her ability to push for high belts (that in my opinion sound far too piercing) as a good trait. Jessie J is a good singer. Not fantastic, just good. If there was a hall of fame for vocal ability, she wouldn't make the cut.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I can't stand her. I hate that screeching thing she does with her voice and I hate the way people think she's the second coming of pop music when all she is is another average popstar. I've said this before, but when I first heard Price Tag I thought she sounded like Natasha Bedingfield with slightly different music. I hated Do It Like A Dude as it's autotuned as hell. I think a lot of people went off her after she was a judge on The Voice. Overrated is only one word I would use to describe her and I can think of others but I won't post them on this forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's not vocal gymnastics. That's delivering very high notes in the style of the songs they sing. Jessie's songs are very different to what those three females do. Those three have done loads of power ballads, which require strong high notes. That's why they don't get criticised because they have never done it.

She has a great voice but hardly a voice of a generation imo.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is incapable of admitting that she has released a lot of duds basically.

I think she's a good singer (though very winey, I can no longer listen to a full album in one sitting) and she relies far too much on vocal acrobats to make a song of hers enjoyable these days (live anyway).

I used to really like her, her personality and exposure on The Voice changed that unfortunately.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find her very cringey.

However Cheryl whatshername is worse.
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a comment she made on TV last week about her new boyfriend

"I've been quite private in the past about my love life. I've realised I can't experience like everyone else if I hide it. I'm famous, it's never going to stop. I'm happy that I'm able to share my life."

Don't know about cringy, but she's definitely deluded. She's hardly Beyoncé is she?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is so arrogant.

She said in an interview she wants to focus on the US because nobody in the UK appreciates her voice. Huh?

She had a girlfriend and admitted to being bisexual but as soon as she wanted to take on the US she said it was just a "phase" and insulted her gay fanbase.

Plus this video alone makes her absolutely insufferable -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7r8rxhxdQ8

Throw in the endless Instagram videos of her singing in the studio, the humble-arrogance Tweets ("Usher just text me to say I had a brilliant voice and I was really talented, wow"), the self written song "Who's Laughing Now" ("oh my God babe your voice is like wow" directed to herself), the constant criticism of people who want her autograph and ask for pictures with her and the oversinging and horrific music she releases and she's absolutely annoying as hell.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Yes but I find most popstars cringey tbh for e.g. Minaj,Cyrus,Rita Ora. I'd say Jessie J isn't as annoying as those but I do find her OTT vocals a bit obnoxious, if she toned it down a bit it would be better imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    She is so arrogant.

She said in an interview she wants to focus on the US because nobody in the UK appreciates her voice. Huh?

She had a girlfriend and admitted to being bisexual but as soon as she wanted to take on the US she said it was just a "phase" and insulted her gay fanbase.

Plus this video alone makes her absolutely insufferable -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7r8rxhxdQ8

Throw in the endless Instagram videos of her singing in the studio, the humble-arrogance Tweets ("Usher just text me to say I had a brilliant voice and I was really talented, wow"), the self written song "Who's Laughing Now" ("oh my God babe your voice is like wow" directed to herself), the constant criticism of people who want her autograph and ask for pictures with her and the oversinging and horrific music she releases and she's absolutely annoying as hell.

Oh yes, the changing her mind of the sexuality. Hmm. I wasn't happy about that. It felt offensive and as if it was not really coming from her.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She comes across as quite a nice person, but i am not too keen on her music.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I honestly believe that she has one of the best voices of our generation

I don't think so.
    and it saddens me that the likes of Cheryl Cole and Rita Ora are her contemporaries. Jessie has more talent in her fingernail then them two girls put together but no one gives a shit and it's bizarre.She can do no right it would seem

Cheryl Cole and Rita Ora are her contemporaries because, like them, she releases bland, manufactured and disposable pop music that has mostly been written by other people or her alongside a shed load of other writers. Don't pretend she's something she's not. A lot of the people who bought her first album have lost interest after seeing her for what she is, hopefully the same will happen to Cheryl Cole (like she's going to last without The X-Factor backing her up) and Rita Ora.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    NO! Love Jessssssie J! :D
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She comes across as very obnoxious which I feel may not be her at all, i think she probably is a nice girl but her personality is harming her career in plain English. Keep away from reality TV too love.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a horrific arrogant bellend, and her music is generic trash.
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I find her annoying more than anything else.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I dont like her face at all. So annoying. Far too cringy but then again, it's Britain, the British stars always like to try and appear American. She'll be
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My issue with Jessie began with the release of her first album. I was incredibly excited for it after following her for a while on youtube, etc (as you said Master Ozzy), and I fell in love with Do it Like a Dude... obviously I knew she was going to be a pop singer, but I was expecting this album of 'edgy' (if that's the right word) songs from an artist with a bit of grit, and then came the album & Price Tag. The album just seemed like such a mismatch of genres, and 'paint by numbers' pop songs. I just couldn't get into it at all with the exception of DILAD, Who You Are (even though the video is terrible), and Mamma Knows Best... the rest I just don't enjoy at all.

I completely gave up on her with the re-issue and her work with David Guetta, and when Alive came out, yet again I was disappointed. I've had the new album on quite a lot at work (as I work in a music store), and I have to admit it is her most cohesive album to date - albeit still a bit 'safe'. I've just completely gone off her as a person, and while I like a lot of the tracks on the new album, I'd much prefer someone else to sing them now lol.
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Whilst I don't like Rita, she does have a very good voice. And Cheryl is a much better dancer than Jessie and, to my ears, has a nicer vocal tone.

As long as Jessie keeps releasing songs like 'It's My Party' and 'Who's Laughing Now' you can't really be surprised that she gets placed alongside Cheryl and Rita.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think vocal gymnastics are a sign that she can sing actually. Any good singer would be able to demonstrate restraint at the necessary moments as well as being able to do all sorts of intricate runs etc. If she's cramming all that stuff in to the point where it is a detriment to the song then, no matter how technically difficult it may be, that's not good singing.

I think everyone is just sick of her because she was so overhyped and overexposed around 2012. She was all over that Olympic closing ceremony, all over TV, all over radio like she was some big superstar but she only had one album and a couple of hits. Someone was too desperate in their attempt to make a big star out of her so she was forced down everyone's throat. It was unbearable.

Also, this review of her first album is great!
  • Options
    vagbreathvagbreath Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is the funniest post I've ever seen on this forum.
  • Options
    Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's probably just going through a PHASE.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    She comes across as quite a nice person, but i am not too keen on her music.

Im the same her music is OK but she comes across as a nice decent woman
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate that screeching thing she does with her voice...
    Can I second that! Before she had commercial success I heard JJ singing normally and she does have a fairly decent voice. Why she has to screech out every tune now I don't know?