Options

Official Formula 1 Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    dee_effdee_eff Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Depends, I guess.

The way things have worked out, it's unlikely that the double-points thing will make much difference.

I mean, without double-points, if Hamilton follows Rosberg home, Rosberg gets an extra 7 points and Hamilton is champion.
    If Hamilton has a DNF, Rosberg gets another 25 points and is champion.

With double points, if Hamlton follows Rosberg home, Rosberg gets and extra 14 points and Hamilton is still champion.
    If Hamilton has a DNF, Rosberg gets another 50 points and is champion by a slightly wider margin.

About the only way it could make a difference is if Rosberg finishes in a position where he'd normally only get 9 more points than Hamilton (say, if Hamilton finishes 10th and Rosberg finishes 4th, or if Hamilton finishes 8th and Rosberg finishes 3rd) because, with the double points, it'll mean he gets 18 extra points instead and, thus, wins the championship.

Let's face it, if both Merc's are still running at the end of the next race, chances are they're going to be at the front of the field and it's only going to be P1 and P2 that matter and, in that case, Hamilton will be champion.
    For Rosberg to win the championship he needs to finish at least 5th himself and he needs for Hamilton to either do extraordinarily badly or have a DNF.

It's such a relief to read a sensible approach to the situation instead of the "weighted" attitudes of some. After all, although I find double points to be an offer akin to perpetual furniture discount sales, they are available to everyone.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    dee_eff wrote: »
    After all, although I find double points to be an offer akin to perpetual furniture discount sales, they are available to everyone.

Agree completely.

And, at the risk of labouring the point, while a lot of people are giving it the whole "ZOMG! 50 points for the last race!!!" thing, it's important to remember that ALL the points are doubled so it's mostly academic. A win is still better than 2nd, which is better than 3rd etc.

My main objection to it is from the team's POV.
    What we have this year is a great example of the problem.
    At a track like Monaco, Hungary, Spain or Singapore the RBRs might've had a better chance of doing well but they'd only get regular points whereas, at a track like Abu Dhabi, Williams or Merc' have more of a chance AND they get twice the amount of points for that race.

It would've been a bit unfair if it'd been a close thing between, say, RBR and Williams and Williams ended up beating RBR because they happen to have a car that's a bit of a missile at a circuit where they get the double points.

Fortunately, of course, Williams (with Massa's help) did a good job of shooting themselves in the foot at the start of the season and, as a result, they can't beat RBR now regardless of the final race suiting their car.

Seems like, if you felt compelled to monkey around with the scoring but also wanted to make it fair, you'd give each team some kind of "joker" to play, which'd give them double points at one race, of their own choosing, each season.

Personally, I just wouldn't bother with any of it.
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree completely.

And, at the risk of labouring the point, while a lot of people are giving it the whole "ZOMG! 50 points for the last race!!!" thing, it's important to remember that ALL the points are doubled so it's mostly academic. A win is still better than 2nd, which is better than 3rd etc.

True, but Lewis has to finish second. With single points, he'd only have to finish 6th. That's the thing that stops it being academic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DanielF wrote: »
    True, but Lewis has to finish second. With single points, he'd only have to finish 6th. That's the thing that stops it being academic.

Yeah but, as I said, we have a situation where, if both Merc's are still running (in good health), chances are they're going to be leading the field anyway.

Don't get me wrong, double-points certainly has the potential to really screw things up.
    We're just kinda lucky (regarding the points thing, at least) that Merc' are so dominant this year and that Hamilton and Rosberg have the points that they do, so it probably isn't going to muck anything up this year.

If Hamilton has a DNF then Rosberg will win. Doesn't really matter if he wins by 1 point or 26 points.
    If Hamilton's still in the race, he's probably either going to be 1st or 2nd.
    Job done.
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teams can develop the engines for next year, but i guess they want more.
    F1 power units parts fall into three categories, ranked 1, 2 and 3. The total ranking for the parts in an F1 power unit is 66. From this total was derived a system of “tokens” that allow for change. If you redesign your pistons, for example, it will cost you two tokens, while the ignition system is worth only one point. Each year, each manufacturer will be allowed to choose what parts of the engine they wish to develop, based on these tokens, with the annual number of the reducing each year. For 2015, therefore, there will be 32 tokens available, which means that almost half of the components in an engine can be changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dansus wrote: »
    Teams can develop the engines for next year, but i guess they want more.

Wonder how many tokens a split-turbo is going to cost?

Last I heard, Merc' were on-board with the "tokens" idea but the other teams were getting upset that Merc' were endorsing a quantity of tokens specifically intended to allow them to make some particular change.

Seems like, with that level of paranoia going on, it's hardly surprising it's tough to ever reach a consensus.

*EDIT*

WTF?

Christian Horner just got engaged to Geri Halliwell? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The level of tokens is already set out in the regs, it would take unanimous agreement to change them for 2015 or majority for 2016.

Hence why RBR ect are saying 'let us have a mid season upgrade or we will pull the plug for 2016 and have free, unlimited development.'

Somewhere in the mix, Bernie is going on about going back to V8's for obvious reasons, but doubt that would happen due to costs.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The person most likely to benefit from double points in the final GP is Bottas. His terrible last race can be wiped away if he comes home ahead of Vettel & Alonso next race and will leap-frog both. Again, though, if he comes in the top 4 he would have made that jump anyway. In the CC the gaps between Williams & Ferrari and Ferrari & Mclaren are probably too big for double points to make much of a difference.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not happy with the rumours that Jenson may be leaving F1
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Christian Horner just got engaged to Geri Halliwell? :o

At the next prinicpals meeting, I can imagine horner saying, "tell you what I want, what I really really want...." :D

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the possibility of Alonso at Mclaren fills me with woe, my favourite team with least favourite driver :(

Cue huge levels of mixed emotions if they do well or badly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »

Im secretly hoping he will so that i can watch him go at Lemans.

:blush::D
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dansus wrote: »
    Im secretly hoping he will so that i can watch him go at Lemans.

:blush::D

He will be a huge draw as well for the WEC at Silverstone. The paddock will be packed with people hoping to meet him, I know I'll be in there hoping. Have managed to meet Alex Wurz and Anthony Davidson in there
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Alice Powell. Never heard of her before (she's kinda cute) ;) Hoping to drive for caterham in FP at abu dhabi...............if they get there

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/30020798

P.S. Whose watching the F1 decider program tonight with Murray? I got it on record via the BBC Red button
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marcus Ericsson has terminated his contract with Caterham with immediate effect. Even if they were to drive in Abu Dhabi they would only have the one car
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30029215
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CakeLover wrote: »
    I don't understand the plastic champion reference....am i being thick?:blush:

Already answered, but I meant plastic as in artificial (because of double points).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    Already answered, but I meant plastic as in artificial (because of double points).

Aaah I get it now. I was thinking plastic like Action Man :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »

I know. But I would rather he made the decision to leave now of his own volition, than get the push from McLaren.
    It feels like everyone is waiting to see what everyone else is gonna do....did I read somewhere that Alonso said he might not leave Ferrari?
    Mark Webber has tweeted Jenson to encorage him to join WEC. I hope he does to be honest.
  • Options
    TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have received prodding via twitter for crowd sourcing for Caterham to allow them to raise funds to compete in Abu Dhabi. Not offering money myself.

If they don't raise enough it's not clear if the payments will be refunded. they are after £2.35 million and currently have £1.281 million. The person lobbying me was @SamJGoody

Caterham should probably have not entered F1 this year unless they had the definite budget to see the year through.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CakeLover wrote: »
    I know. But I would rather he made the decision to leave now of his own volition, than get the push from McLaren.
    It feels like everyone is waiting to see what everyone else is gonna do....did I read somewhere that Alonso said he might not leave Ferrari?
    Mark Webber has tweeted Jenson to encorage him to join WEC. I hope he does to be honest.

I'm starting to feel the same. I think Dennis seems the sort of boss you'd only work for if you didn't have a choice. Even with success I doubt he'll create a happy team.

I was reading an automotive forum yesterday that suggested the likes of Webber and Davidson are earning £6-9m in WEC. If that is so, then certainly Jenson would attract that kind of salary and be able to help shape an exciting, growing sport that rivals F1 for technology, even if well behind it in the fame/prestige area.

He may well be better making that move now and be in the vanguard rather than wait a couple more years - which is all I imagine he can have in F1 even if McLaren ask him to stay.
  • Options
    mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be sorry to see Jenson leave F1, but I'm very much afraid that it's a done deal. It won't be a hardship to get myself familiar with WEC, and I think that Motors TV cover all the races, after a fashion. The only downside to WEC is the fact that it's a team sport. The focus tends to be on the car rather than the driver, and the drivers are hidden away. Also, there is not much wheel to wheel racing, and swapping positions. (within the same class). And we can't get over the fact that the races are long.

Maybe it needs better tv coverage, with dedicated programmes giving in depth analysis, a bit like F1 gets. Maybe the BBC should get out of F1 if they're not prepared to give it proper funding, and go all out to really promote WEC. It's getting more British interest than F1, now.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mel_drew wrote: »
    I'll be sorry to see Jenson leave F1, but I'm very much afraid that it's a done deal. It won't be a hardship to get myself familiar with WEC, and I think that Motors TV cover all the races, after a fashion. The only downside to WEC is the fact that it's a team sport. The focus tends to be on the car rather than the driver, and the drivers are hidden away. Also, there is not much wheel to wheel racing, and swapping positions. (within the same class). And we can't get over the fact that the races are long.

Maybe it needs better tv coverage, with dedicated programmes giving in depth analysis, a bit like F1 gets. Maybe the BBC should get out of F1 if they're not prepared to give it proper funding, and go all out to really promote WEC. It's getting more British interest than F1, now.

I watched a bit of WEC yesterday. They have cameras inside the cars so you see the drivers if they cut to that camera. I only saw a bit of racing so don't know what the overall coverage is like. F1 would be pretty boring to watch if there was no pre-race analysis and post race interviews. I think if WEC does/diid those things, and offered a highlights programme I could easily be persuaded to watch on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mel_drew wrote: »

Theres plenty to enjoy in P1. Lemans is the motorsport event that i most look forward too.

If you really want to get into it, you have to be listening to Radio Lemans, who also delve into F1. They supply the live comms for Motors TV and do a weekly podcast, the latest covered Caterham in depth.

WEC can be found on Eurosport too, theres a race on this week.

http://www.radiolemans.com/
    http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/tvschedule.shtml
    http://www.fiawec.com/races/6-hours-of-bahrain.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Alice Powell. Never heard of her before (she's kinda cute) ;) Hoping to drive for caterham in FP at abu dhabi...............if they get there

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/30020798

What's the betting that her granddad will be watching the Caterham crowd-funding website very carefully today, so he knows exactly how big of a cheque he needs to write?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ooooh, I see that the Caterham fund has just jumped from 57% to 79%, even though the number of backers has only gone up by about 10.

I notice that some of the more expensive "gifts" are still available too, so it looks like these people who're spending big chunks of money are people who don't particularly want a return on their donation.