StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    £2,300?! :o

I'd use the £3,000 that I dealt at, £2,300, £5,000 and £1 on box 23! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    £5,000! Botheration! >:(

I'd DEFINATELY use box 23 with that amount of money but having said that, NOTHING hasn't been there for a while...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    4:54... :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've noticed that as well. But as they have said it is random.

NO DEAL?! >:(
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Deal >:(

NOTHING?! She well untruly got away with that! :p
    If that had been £10,000 you wouldn't want to see my reaction! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NOTHING! :o:D
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Box 18 - Melissa - £15,000
    Box 22 - Steff - £3,000
    Box 2 - Lucy - 1p :D

£1 and £5,000 left in the game

Closing offer - £2,300

DEAL

Box 8 - £5,000
    Box 9 - Kelly - £1

Box 23 - NO DEAL
    Contents - NOTHING
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the adjudicator know what he/she is picking for box 23?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will keep this brief as I have to go out at 6

Basically, I found this site with a randomiser we could perhaps incorporate into our game to get that feeling our boxes are chosen at random as well as the players on the show

What I want to propose is that everyone who is in the game now is locked in every week

What happens is that people won't have to put a box number in after the conclusion of the week, they will automatically be put onto the list and the list will be shuffled so everyone gets a different box every week

Anyone who gets the same box number 2 weeks in a row will be put above or below depending on what space is available on the list

Newcomers late to the game can be assigned boxes as there would be an additional random draw each day for newcomers with what numbers are left

Any latecomers who haven't put their name down must do so before the game starts at 4pm

There will be still be box totals at the end of each week

Site - https://www.random.org/lists/

What does everyone think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    richie4eva wrote: »
    Will keep this brief as I have to go out at 6

Basically, I found this site with a randomiser we could perhaps incorporate into our game to get that feeling our boxes are chosen at random as well as the players on the show

What I want to propose is that everyone who is in the game now is locked in every week

What happens is that people won't have to put a box number in after the conclusion of the week, they will automatically be put onto the list and the list will be shuffled so everyone gets a different box every week

Anyone who gets the same box number 2 weeks in a row will be put above or below depending on what space is available on the list

Newcomers late to the game can be assigned boxes as there would be an additional random draw each day for newcomers with what numbers are left

Any latecomers who haven't put their name down must do so before the game starts at 4pm

There will be still be box totals at the end of each week

Site - https://www.random.org/lists/

What does everyone think?

Yes, Yes, Yes! :D

I have 2 queries though:

1. I don't understand the two boxes in a row thing and
    2. Do we have to state whether we want to be in the game or not? Because I would want to play every week! :)

Other than that it gets a 10 from me and it is a FAB-U-LOUS idea Richie! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Yes, Yes! :D

I have 2 queries though:

1. I don't understand the two boxes in a row thing and
    2. Do we have to state whether we want to be in the game or not? Because I would want to play every week! :)

Other than that it gets a 10 from me and it is a FAB-U-LOUS idea Richie! :D

A kind of tradition we have in here, nobody has the same box 2 weeks in a row ;)

Everyone who is in this week is now in EVERY week, no need to state intent to play as the name will already be on the list :)
  • Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the adjudicator know what he/she is picking for box 23?

To my knowledge,it has never been revealed exactly how the contents of Box23 are picked. All we know is that it is selected at random by the independent adjudicator.

But how is it actually done?

Method one - the IA takes the five results,puts them behind her back,shuffles them thoroughly,and picks one. Crude,but it would work. However the IA will know which one she is putting in the box.

Method Two: the IA rolls a dice every day to determine which one is picked. A six,it's Double.a five,plus +£10K,and so on. If she got a one,she'd have to roll again. But again,the IA knows the contents.

Method three - there are actually five identical Box23s. The IA puts each result in each of the five boxes and then seals them. She then leaves the room. Her assistant then comes in and shuffles the boxes around,and leaves the room. The IA then comes back in,accompanied by an independent witness,and picks one to be used that day. (If she used a dice to pick one,it would be a double random procedure.) She then reshuffles the remaining boxes.

Method three has the advantage that provided that the boxes that are not used are not opened,and all the boxes are identical,nobody,including the IA,will know the contents of Box23 that day until it is opened on the show. Thus the IA cannot deliberately pick one result over another (not that I think that happens).

I have no idea how it works but I suspect the real method of selection will be similar to one of the three I have outlined. It would be interesting to be shown how it is really done once.They could show a "dummy" run,ie go through all the procedures,but it isn't one that actually counts,and isn't used on the show. How about it,Glorious 12th?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that today we had another believer in the gambler's fallacy : "I know it's picked at random..but I just think Nothing is due."

Thus she turned down a very favourable bet (£2,300 is worth £4,070 at Box23) because of a mistaken belief.

It turned out to be Nothing right enough.

She was right for the wrong reason.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's also the balls method used to choose the box numbers. We have seen that on the live shows and the celeb versions too. Maybe the IA has used a similar method like that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as the box game is concerned,even if you do tinker around with how the boxes are selected,at the end of the day it's still a game with no skill element and there's no money in it. It's like a raffle,but you don't pay anything for your ticket - and there are no prizes. So what does it matter who wins? If there was some skill element I might have some interest,but there isn't.

I realise I am in the minority on here but I just can't see the point in it,sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No game this Sunday so we could trial the randomiser for next week if people would like :)
  • Options
    SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    No game this Sunday so we could trial the randomiser for next week if people would like :)

I'm happy to give it a go :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ci Senor, I'd like that! :D
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like choosing my own number each week because I always try and find a reason for my number for the week concerned.

Whatever the democratic will of the thread I will go along with. Maybe a trial 2 week go?
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smithman wrote: »
    I'm happy to give it a go :)

I was awaiting your input here Smithman. Would you feel that you have been cast aside? thwarted? all your hard work over the years ignored?

If you are happy to try something new then I will go along!

Maybe a trial run of, say, a month.
  • Options
    SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    marianna01 wrote: »
    was awaiting your input here Smithman. Would you feel that you have been cast aside? thwarted? all your hard work over the years ignored?

If you are happy to try something new then I will go along!

Maybe a trial run of, say, a month.

No, not at all marianna - and I really don't mind a break (permanent or otherwise) from box listing !!!
  • Options
    Stan MarshStan Marsh Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    I like that idear for our box game
This discussion has been closed.