The Walking Dead Series 5 (US PACE)

Comments

• Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marcusjll wrote: »
    Worst episode so far for me.
    I thought it was good. The pacing was much better than the early seasons; I'm glad they resolved Terminus and are moving on. I liked how Gabriel's story turned out to be an anti-climax, and how Rick's group weren't totally stupid. Plus, Michonne gets her sword back.
    I also don't get why Maggie and Glenn left.
    Mainly because Glenn said they would to avoid a fight between Rick and Abraham. Neither of whom was likely to back down. Also because Abraham has a point. Fixing the virus properly is what matters most. Experience shows that even if the missing people did turn up soon, something else would happen to cause delay. Then, as others have said, they were surprised by how feral Rick has become.

The part that seemed weak to me was Abraham wanting to leave just after Bob was dropped off, in the middle of the night. It seemed obvious they were being watched, and a small group leaving would be ambushed. If it were Abraham and Rosita fighting off 5+ well-armed Termites, they'd be outnumbered. How could they be sure Eugene wouldn't get killed in the cross-fire. Where-as the church seemed defensible and a safe place for the night.
  • Options
    The Icon V2The Icon V2 Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's Morgan.

It wont be Beth, cause they've a story still to tell with her, and it wont be Carol, else they might as well have just shown her. If it's not Morgan, it'll be some new person that we've not met yet.

I have always been under the impression that the upcoming Beth episode is more like a stand a lone. as not in the current time line. So we could see Beth's whole story from being kidnapped. to waking up, to being rescued by Daryl, and that's how the would end this week, the ending of last week where she walks out of the woods with Daryl.

That was my thinking could easily be wrong.

Morgan is a good shout, i would like to know more about Carol wanting to leave though. .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I have no hesitation in saying that was one of the worst episodes of The Walking Dead in 5 season's. I'd even welcome back a bit of farming action over Beth on her own with a bunch of police officers. So many things wrong with it. The fact that I genuinely couldn't care less about Beth (even though they tried to make us last season with the Daryl and Beth episode) and whether she lives or dies at this point I am indifferent about. Especially when they eliminate characters you thought you could like and we get stuck with Beth!

The point where she mentioned she still sings made me cringe. I thought 'God, please don't burst into another dreary song'.

Other aspects that annoyed the hell out of me: it's the apocalypse, there are no policemen or women. They have no authority, they are just parading around in their cleanly pressed uniforms like morons. Even Rick gave up on his badge in about season 2. It just felt completely false and like it was an alternate version of the walking dead. But it can't be because in came Carol at the end. Which was probably the highlight, but even that annoyed me because I thought 'Daryl is losing lots of people on runs lately'. It would have made more sense for Father Gabriel to have snatched her from the road, and that could have been his big dark secret, but no. Now we have to report back on hospital episodes in the future. >:(
  • Options
    mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasted 42 minutes of my time and to think I could've been watching paint dry instead.
  • Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever thought it a good idea to give the shows worst actor a whole episode to herself should be fired immediately.

Just mind numbingly boring right the way through.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,234
    Forum Member
    Wow didn't realise there was so much beth hate, not my favourite character but not the worst. has been quite underused I thought
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was a poor episode but not because it was Beth centric but because the whole hospital fake police thing was so boring. Were we really supposed to care about them?

We really didn't need another 'Terminus' style gang so soon after the last one.

Beth deserved a better story than this one.
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the first time ever I found myself wishing for an episode to hurry up and end...?

I don't care at all about Beth, I hated all the new characters we were introduced to, especially that dreadful female police officer.

The only decent thing you can say about it is the escape scenes were quite exciting, only for things to become immediately frustrating again with Beth back with Officer Looney and Doctor Dullard.

I'm gonna assume we're gonna see Daryl, Rick & co show up to wreck yet another fortress, kill everyone and leave?

Right now I'm only really interested to see the DC bound group.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I join those in saying this was a very bad episode. Filler. Lazy. Worst character.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seems those of us in the UK are more appreciative of this episode!

No way was that a filler episode. Lots happened!
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it, actually didn't notice the rest of the gang were MIA until half way through I was waiting for the big reveal to occur - as it happened it wasn't so big or as obvious as Terminus.

Pretty sure Carol is going to go all Rambo, probably after meeting the guy who escaped and given them the heads up, no way she would just let herself be captured after the cannibals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Other aspects that annoyed the hell out of me: it's the apocalypse, there are no policemen or women. They have no authority, they are just parading around in their cleanly pressed uniforms like morons. Even Rick gave up on his badge in about season 2.
    I thought that aspect is part of what made it interesting. They are wearing uniforms partly because it makes them feel better. It reminds them of civilisation and being part of something bigger than themselves. It gives them confidence. It might also help with outsiders. It suggests they are at least trying to hold to a standard of disciplined behaviour. That Rick gave up is not necessarily to his credit.

Arguably Dawn's group is doing better Rick's, or the Governor's, or the Termites. They've held it together for longer, without falling into cannibalism. They have a more secure location. They have medical facilities. If Eugene is correct, then they are right that eventually the zombies will be dealt with by someone else. Civilisation will return and they will be looking pretty good.

They have some flawed characters, including Dawn herself, but I don't think she's as bad as the Governor, say. Mostly I think she's aware of how precarious her situation is. It's incredible that Beth is still tolerated, given that they think killed three of them.
  • Options
    hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    I thought that aspect is part of what made it interesting. They are wearing uniforms partly because it makes them feel better. It reminds them of civilisation and being part of something bigger than themselves. It gives them confidence. It might also help with outsiders. It suggests they are at least trying to hold to a standard of disciplined behaviour. That Rick gave up is not necessarily to his credit.

Arguably Dawn's group is doing better Rick's, or the Governor's, or the Termites. They've held it together for longer, without falling into cannibalism. They have a more secure location. They have medical facilities. If Eugene is correct, then they are right that eventually the zombies will be dealt with by someone else. Civilisation will return and they will be looking pretty good.

They have some flawed characters, including Dawn herself, but I don't think she's as bad as the Governor, say. Mostly I think she's aware of how precarious her situation is. It's incredible that Beth is still tolerated, given that they think killed three of them.
    I'd agree with this. I found it quite interesting to see a whole other survival mode happening. It was quite believable in the 'power corrupts' sense. Unfortunately I didn't find the head honcho very credible - she just didn't have an aura of authority for me. As for Beth, god leave her alone everyone! There are far worse actors - Tyreese for example.
  • Options
    KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Mostly I think she's aware of how precarious her situation is. It's incredible that Beth is still tolerated, given that they think killed three of them.

Do they think Beth killed three of them? They see Trevitt's death as an accident (1), and she admitted to killing Gorman (2). But I think it's understood that Joan committed suicide by opening her sutures.

When Beth and Dawn have their confrontation at the end of the episode, Dawn looks like she's ready to kill Beth. But then Beth says: "He attacked me. Just like he attacked Joan. Just like you let him. You know what's happening here and you let it happen. You're letting it happen." Dawn's eyes show a little doubt, and suddenly she feels like she's on the defensive and needs to explain herself. She still needs to punish her though, just like she needed to punish Noah.

Given that Gorman was becoming a threat to Dawn's position as leader, she probably doesn't mind as much as she should. And the doubt shows that she hasn't completely lost her moral compass, only suppressed it.

So they think she intentionally killed one person, and that was in self-defence.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,899
    Forum Member
    I found the interesting thing about Dawn was her solid belief that the world would be put back to how it was.

She's a control freak and also in denial, but she's a good character with potential I think.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,015
    Forum Member
    hendoll wrote: »
    I'd agree with this. I found it quite interesting to see a whole other survival mode happening. It was quite believable in the 'power corrupts' sense. Unfortunately I didn't find the head honcho very credible - she just didn't have an aura of authority for me. As for Beth, god leave her alone everyone! There are far worse actors - Tyreese for example.

I agree with that. Such a huge thing was made of Tyreese before he came in - but my what a disappointment. They killed off T-Dog to make way for this?????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree with that. Such a huge thing was made of Tyreese before he came in - but my what a disappointment. They killed off T-Dog to make way for this?????

I think he was hyped because of the comics. He is a completely different character in it. Completely. Not some babysitting, won't kill anyone, cuddly softy. Then again, the show also destroyed Andrea, Glenn to some extent and Maggie definitely. The only improvement character-wise has been Carol. Why they're trying to build up a dull as dishwater character like Beth I'll never know. I would rather have kept some of the inmates at the prison than Beth. Come back Diesel, all's forgiven! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KookyKatie wrote: »
    Do they think Beth killed three of them? They see Trevitt's death as an accident (1), and she admitted to killing Gorman (2). But I think it's understood that Joan committed suicide by opening her sutures.
    Well, it hadn't been clear to me what we knew versus what Dawn knew. Beth had left Gorman and Joan in the office, both dead, with Joan already turned and Gorman possibly turning, and then send Dawn to the office which was putting her in danger too. So it would have looked pretty bad. You've convinced me that Dawn did believe Beth's explanation.
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Then again, the show also destroyed Andrea, Glenn to some extent and Maggie definitely.
    The show has had several show-runners. The current one is the best we've had, and I wouldn't blame him for previous mistakes. We now have multiple black characters and the women are being written better.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    I found the interesting thing about Dawn was her solid belief that the world would be put back to how it was.

She's a control freak and also in denial, but she's a good character with potential I think.

Dawn reminded me of Christopher Eccleston's part in 28 Days Later where he is trying to keep his officers happy by providing women for them.

Also loved the Michael Jackson reference on the roof when the Doctor said to Beth 'it was close to midnight' when the chaos started.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't like the last episode, it didn't feel like a walking dead episode for me. Is it next weeks episode that is the last ep in 2014?
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't like the last episode, it didn't feel like a walking dead episode for me. Is it next weeks episode that is the last ep in 2014?

No, there are still 3 left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I loved the latest episode, especially after the last two shaky episodes. It felt like the symbolism they were using regarding Carol and the fires was very poignant. To see her character struggle to come to terms with who she has had to become and also forgetting a little bit of who she is. Relating to what she is going through is Daryl, as he's been through and is going through the same transformation.

It does feel a bit deja vu though. The group are having to fight another group and go to war again? Didn't we already just have two wars with the governor and another mini war with the cannibals? After everything the group has just been through and escaped, are we really expecting them all to risk their lives for Beth? Who's only real talent is boring everyone to sleep with her campfire tunes. I just hope they get in and out of the hospital quickly, as if it's going to develop into another war over the duration of the season, I'm out.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're being very liberal with the structure this series, back and forth, flashbacks. All very ethereal. The episodes still seem to fly by but not much actually happens.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this weeks much better then the last 2, Carole has come such a long way since this outbreak started. I thin this episode just showed how much she has changed and she knows she has forgotten who she once was. I hope Carole makes it out alive next week cause to see her go now will be sad.

I think the group going to save Beth is risky for everyone so i think we will lose some people next week.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like how they wove the flashbacks into the episode, filling in the blanks of Carol's adventures. We saw how she got clean before the reunion!

The escape by tumbling car was a bit of a stretch. Especially as it landed right way up.