Options

Please bring the USA snowfalls here

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the far future I imagine that roads and maybe paths will be built with some kind of under surface electrical heating, such as some sports pitches do. At the flick of a switch when snowy or frozen weather is expected the roads and paths warm slightly to prevent frost or snow developing. No more gritting and no more roads to clear, no matter how much snow falls!
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    In the far future I imagine that roads and maybe paths will be built with some kind of under surface electrical heating, such as some sports pitches do. At the flick of a switch when snowy or frozen weather is expected the roads and paths warm slightly to prevent frost or snow developing. No more gritting and no more roads to clear, no matter how much snow falls!

In Japan they already have built in sprinklers on roads in snow prone areas - they seem to work pretty well :)
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    I'd love to see that deep snow here, what are the chances? :D

Slim to none at any given time. But always possible.

Probably the closest we came to such extremes was during the great Midlands snowstorm of 4th to 5th March 1947. A depression approached from the South West and had been expected to bring a thaw, with milder air, to all areas. However, this did not happen, and whilst rain fell near to the channel coast, North of the Thames there was prolonged and exceptionally heavy snow, in sub freezing temperatures. In some places entire rows of houses disappeared under the snow.

Met Office report March 1947 It understates the exceptional severity of the event.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in a perfect world, it'd snow from 22-26 of dec.......

then nothing for the rest of the year. ...
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,612
    Forum Member
    You southerners couldn't hack it :p

They certainly don't know how to drive in snow. Useless they are:p
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    no thank you
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like a nice bit of snow, it makes everything look clean and tidy, especially my garden.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    I like a nice bit of snow, it makes everything look clean and tidy, especially my garden.

yes and it makes the ground slippery an difficult to walk on, not everyone enjoys that
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes and it makes the ground slippery an difficult to walk on, not everyone enjoys that

I prefer to see the glass as half full rather than half empty, it makes me less miserable.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No chance, last year, they got buried in snow

Somerset became a new ocean
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    I'd love to see that deep snow here, what are the chances? :D
    Chance of death doesn't excite me.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    You southerners couldn't hack it :p
    I doubt you would with snowstorms US style.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want snow like we had in 2011 where it's so deep, when you call work to say that your village is blocked in, they automatically accept it as truth :)
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell, we can't cope with an inch of snow, if that came here, it'd wipe us all out :D
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Bloody hell, we can't cope with an inch of snow, if that came here, it'd wipe us all out :D

I bet there would still be a thread complaining about School Closures though :D
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No thanks! Just think of the elderly people who live alone & won't simply cope with the hazards which accompanies with severe snowfall like what's currently happening in the US, not being able to go to shops, having to walk on treacherous icy footpaths & can't simply afford to pay their heating bills or face freezing to death.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've experienced that sort of snow before when I was in the US a few years ago. It was pretty cool to begin with, especially as we don't get anything like it in the UK, but then it became a pain the arse. It was so high I jumped off the roof. Everyone was evacuated in the end.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. The country had a major snowfall just as spring officially began last year, with snowfalls of over a foot depth in large area's of central England in late March 2013, one of the coldest March's in recent memory.

5ft of snow has fallen in parts of the US with this "lake effect" snowfall. I'm sure you wouldn't want snow up to your neck even if you do love the stuff.

Indeed, I recall here in the North West we had a big snowfall in late January/early February and then as you say in March 2013. It drifted here and was 4ft in places. We also had a bitter East wind for nigh on four weeks.

It's amazing how short people's memories are. Even people from my area will say, we haven't had a much snow/cold weather in recent years. I remind them that the winters of 2009/2010 - 2010/2011 - 2011/2012 and 2012/2013 were all very much colder and if you like snowier than the previous five years and in particular March 2013 was bad.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love heavy snowfalls as a child. Then I grew up a bit and had to wake up early on those days and shovel hundreds of feet of sidewalks for my parents tenants before school. Then I grew up more and had to try driving on black ice.

It's something I really don't miss, having moved someplace that never snows. You get used to green Christmases. Skiing's fun, but you can take a weekend trip. No need for it in your daily life.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly don't want that kind of snow over here. It would likely mean many, many pensioners stranded at home for one thing.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No thanks. It's horrible.

I remember the snow then slush/ice/more snow, lying on the damned streets and pavements for six weeks or so in Brum when I was young. Nasty.

I only like it away from me, but stopping me going to work. For a couple of days. Since I live on the coast and it goes up inland, this does happen. That's enough.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we do get a heavy snowfall this winter DO NOT attempt to shovel it out of the way.

It is incredibly dangerous to do so, especially for men, between the hours of 6am and 10am in the morning. It risks a sudden fatal heart attack even in healthy young men, or women. The reason is that it raises blood pressure and increases heart rate whilst the cold air constricts the heart muscle and veins around it, lessening blood supply. Using the upper body and arms is also far more strenuous than use of legs. It's considered so dangerous that nobody over their mid 50's should attempt it. Snow shovelling is lethal and kills hundreds each year, especially in the USA and Canada. If you are overweight or a smoker the danger is even greater still.

You have been warned!
    BiB - no it's not. Doing leg exercises is far more strenuous than arms/upper body. A set of squats is far more taxing than say bench pressing or curls, so seeing as that is nonsense, I imagine the rest of your posts probably is too.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BiB - no it's not. Doing leg exercises is far more strenuous than arms/upper body. A set of squats is far more taxing than say bench pressing or curls, so seeing as that is nonsense, I imagine the rest of your posts probably is too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30119410
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You wouldn't wish for it if you had to live with it for another six months :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to live somewhere where the system is organised to cope with it, such as Canada.

yes i'd like to see some here but not excessively deep snow or for long as it causes too much disruption and danger for people - here in the UK.