Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously if Corrie was not so diabolical I guarantee it would be over 8m last night pushing 8.5m. Stuart Blackburn has pissing away 1m+ of Corrie's audience and ITv are happy to sit back and let him kill Corrie stone dead. I am furious that they are allowing him to put it in such a state. This will seriously bite them on the backside come Xmas and New Year.

In regards to IAC I think the 30inutes extra, lower lead in, tougher opposition and the fact Friday has less viewers watching 8.1m is not such a bad figure. However it will be around 7.5m tonight with a much later finish 10.45pm. I mean seriously, ITV should push TXF forward and give IAC an earlier finish around 10.15pm.

The soap decline is not irreversible thanks to some idiot producers and ignorant channel bosses.
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think david was taking the p**s. its all fun. ;-)

Lol :D. Some people are so tetchy over ratings
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    Has BBC one's comedy show with Lee Mack "Not Going Out" been given any more series or is this its last.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Does anyone else share my view that the decline we've seen with the soaps is probably not reversible?
    I think there's probably a layer of truth to this but while I wouldn't expect a full recovery I think there's probably still room for some upward growth at EastEnders at least.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Take EastEnders off Friday and look how low BBC1 is for the night. Not going to happen.
    I think running EastEnders Monday-Thursday makes a degree of sense although that three days off at the end of the week probably has negatives and positives. The issue as you say though is what then happens to Friday night. It really all depends on what the BBC would put there instead of EastEnders.

I would however suggest that the potentially bigger issue with moving EastEnders to Wednesday would be that it would displace The Great British Bake Off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soap in 2013. Remember this is when Corrie was declining under SB since he took charge in early 2013. Ratings were starting to drop.

Coronation Street

7:30pm 8.12m (37.2%), 149k (0.6%) DOWN 810k
    8:30pm 8.24m (35.0%), 281k (1.2%) DOWN 1.17m

EastEnders

8pm 6.95m (31.0%) BBC3 392k (2.2%) DOWN 450k YOY

Emmerdale

6.9m (34.0%), 168k (0.7%) DOWN 1.1m YOY

When will ITV bl***y take notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    I think there's probably a layer of truth to this but while I wouldn't expect a full recovery I think there's probably still room for some upward growth at EastEnders at least.

I think running EastEnders Monday-Thursday makes a degree of sense although that three days off at the end of the week probably has negatives and positives. The issue as you say though is what then happens to Friday night. It really all depends on what the BBC would put there instead of EastEnders.

I would however suggest that the potentially bigger issue with moving EastEnders to Wednesday would be that it would displace The Great British Bake Off.

Not if they made it three times a week again, it can't cope being on 4 times each week. Its struggled for a long time on a Friday now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously if Corrie was not so diabolical I guarantee it would be over 8m last night pushing 8.5m. Stuart Blackburn has pissing away 1m+ of Corrie's audience and ITv are happy to sit back and let him kill Corrie stone dead. I am furious that they are allowing him to put it in such a state. This will seriously bite them on the backside come Xmas and New Year.

In regards to IAC I think the 30inutes extra, lower lead in, tougher opposition and the fact Friday has less viewers watching 8.1m is not such a bad figure. However it will be around 7.5m tonight with a much later finish 10.45pm. I mean seriously, ITV should push TXF forward and give IAC an earlier finish around 10.15pm.

The soap decline is not irreversible thanks to some idiot producers and ignorant channel bosses.

i think itv will be as pig headed as the bbc were before bringing in the messiah to rescue eastenders. i think the hat will be at coronation street a while longer. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Not if they made it three times a week again, it can't cope being on 4 times each week. Its struggled for a long time on a Friday now.
    They aren't going to make it three times a week again though. The fourth episode is too established and valuable at this point. The PR of cutting an EastEnders episode would be an absolute nightmare. Especially right now given the never ending 'in crisis' stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i think the beeb have got it spot on. 4 times a week is just right and i like a break in the middle of the week. i am sure it will remain as it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They aren't going to make it three times a week again though. The fourth episode is too established and valuable at this point. The PR of cutting an EastEnders episode would be an absolute nightmare. Especially right now given the never ending 'in crisis' stuff.

that's mainly from the anti aunty brigade. ;-)
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Ouch for the big drop with Emmerdale and Corrie year on year.
    Is EastEnders up year on year on share?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the Monday last year Corrie hit a high of 9.5m and EastEnders 8.4m. I can see both being down over 1.5m YOY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's mainly from the anti aunty brigade. ;-)
    I don't think it is. EastEnders fans are just as guilty of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Ouch for the big drop with Emmerdale and Corrie year on year.
    Is EastEnders up year on year on share?

No its not, this year 30%, last year 31%.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Has BBC one's comedy show with Lee Mack "Not Going Out" been given any more series or is this its last.

I think its been intimated that this will be it but I have not seen that actually stated or at least I cant remember.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,697
    Forum Member
    DS report is out.

BBC Two
    Mastermind: 1.92M
    Tigers About the House: 1.22M
    Mock the Week: 0.87M
    QI: 1.32M

Ch4
    Marvel's Agents of Shield: 0.92M
    Gogglebox: 2.08M
    Alan Carr: Chatty Man: 0.90M

Ch5
    Ice Road Truckers: 1.09M
    Ben Fogle's New Lives in the Wild: 0.85M

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s100/im-a-celebrity/news/a611835/im-a-celebrity-drops-to-773-million-on-friday.html
  • Options
    Forum Member

The cast must be exhausted. I imagine that its light relief to do something like "Children In Need". The short rehersal times show how talented they are these days. It underlined how dreadful the characters they have to play and that some of the writing and characterisation is at fault. I particularly felt that Jessie Wallace was quite good at playing to the camera despite having zero rehersal time probably. If Dominic had to retell anyone story and history i think he should have chosen Jessie over Linda Henry. She was BAFTA nominated at one point for " The Road To Coronation Street" The writers are just not very aware of using the talents they have. The carter girl is gorgeous but they choose to push her down a very streetwise tomboy tough line of storytelling. I don't think the writers know how to tell light and dark stories anymore and are out of touch with potential new viewers that could be drawn in.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we go a day in this thread without somebody slagging off Stuart Blackburn or Dominic Treadwell-Collins or any other soap producer personally? Whilst I'm sure they have a large influence one person is not enough to make or break a soap. There are other factors in play I'm sure. I think people are just a bit bored of soaps generally to be honest and are no longer willing or have the time to devote such a large chunk of every evening to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ch4
    Marvel's Agents of Shield: 0.92M
    Gogglebox: 2.08M
    Alan Carr: Chatty Man: 0.90M
    A night of highs and lows for Channel 4 to say the least.

Its somewhat remarkable that the shows either side of a 2 million hit in Gogglebox can't crack a million. And neither of those shows is exactly low profile. Agents of SHIELD is just a complete disaster at this point. Surely a third season (assuming it happens) won't be on Channel 4 next year. Will it even land on UK screens at this rate? In fact will the second season even finish its days on Channel 4?
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else share my view that the decline we've seen with the soaps is probably not reversible?

The majority seem to think otherwise. But in this era of countless alternative channels and new content platforms, very difficult to win back lost viewers I think when you are a on 4 or 5 nights a week and innovating as little as our soaps do, revisiting the same tired old storylines over and over again.

Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to stop the rot. But just an observation.

I think so as well. At work I hardly hear them mentioned now, in the nineties they were a major topic of conversation. Overkill with epidodes, miserable, depressing characters and repetitive plots and ham acting are making people turn away. When Coronation St has fallen as low as 6 million this year, you know something is wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member

To be fair EE fans have been saying that all this year and it was generally expected that all the soaps would return to higher figures by now in the Autumn. It hasnt happened and never mind thinking about them recovering I think we should start thinking about how low they might go.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    No its not, this year 30%, last year 31%.
    Total viewing must not have declined as much year on year last night as it did earlier in the week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    Total viewing must not have declined as much year on year last night as it did earlier in the week.

Why do you say that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is. EastEnders fans are just as guilty of it.

i'm not. ;-)
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogglebox was noticeably dented by IAC there. The last episode to air in normal circumstances 2 weeks ago had 2.7m (exc +1) and it had 2.36m last week against Children In Need. I'm not sure how much +1 will have added on as IAC aired until 10.30pm.

Still a very good rating for C4 though and an excellent one against IAC. Shame the shows around it were a disaster.
This discussion has been closed.