Options

It was Alright in the 1970's Channel 4 9pm

Comments

• Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it wasn't the intention of the programme makers, but there were clips tonight that had me laughing out loud because they were so funny.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it wasn't the intention of the programme makers, but there were clips tonight that had me laughing out loud because they were so funny.

I agree with you! I'd like more clips, less 'talking heads' :)
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    Wonder if he got paid per arrest, so if it was Christmastime he would arrest a few more gay looking people, to him that is, or anytime he needed to supplement his pay.
    Well,according to him anyone who wore after shave was obviously gay, He must have a field day over Christmas.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about the PIFs back then - weren't there some that taught critical thinking? And with the frequency they they were aired, it really ingrained.

So people of my generation knew the practical risks etc... and had that folk wisdom...
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    It was striking how many more working class people there were on TV back then. Now everyone seems to be middle class, including the smug talking heads keen to show right-on they are. You just don't see many working class people on TV now unless they're being taken the piss out of on shows like Benefits Street or Jetemy Kyle. Kind of sad really, isn't it? Working class Brits seemed to have more pride back then and weren't looked down on with contempt by the media.
  • Options
    man_plebsman_plebs Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Wtf is up with Paul Sinhas neck - its like blown up from the jaw down,

Is that Phil Mitchell too in the glasses?
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I just wish they'd show the clips rather than show half these nobodies expressing their false outrage at things they nothing about

Best definition of 'nobody'

Award winning comedians or chav on a forum?

Hmmm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    It was striking how many more working class people there were on TV back then. Now everyone seems to be middle class, including the smug talking heads keen to show right-on they are. You just don't see many working class people on TV now unless they're being taken the piss out of on shows like Benefits Street or Jetemy Kyle. Kind of sad really, isn't it? Working class Brits seemed to have more pride back then and weren't looked down on with contempt by the media.
    If you like - it's almost as though we're in a genderflipped version of the 50s/60s?
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most people are middle class these days, it's just a reflection of society.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only talking heads on the show that I was interested in hearing and who I found relevant were Barry Cryer, Bill Oddie and Roy Hudd, and maybe Kenny Lynch. Maybe they wanted the younger perspective but it was false. It was great to see Derek Griffith's again after such a long time. Instantly recognisable still to anyone over about 35. He was right when he saw nothing wrong with him singing the track Melting Pot, which kicked off the 1970's in the top three of the charts.

To make a point I am now going to write down some of the appalling words the show used and that were deemed passable in the 70's and just see if they receive an automatic censor on DS.

Sambo.

Poof.

Golliwog / Wog.

EDIT: Interesting that DS has automatically fully deleted the N word that sounds like "bigger".
  • Options
    hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Most people are middle class these days, it's just a reflection of society.

No they're not... they've been told to aspire to, or pretend to be middle class, as if it's somehow better.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a very self-serving exercise for these programme makers to reduce that era to some kind of repository of prejudices. If they acknowledged it was an era in which some of the greatest dramas and sitcoms were made, music of all kinds was regularly featured in prime time slots, challenging documentaries on politics, history, psychology, biology and ethics were also made appealing for a mass audience, and creating high quality entertainment for a broad audience was still regarded as an obligation, then these programme makers might have to recognise the need to up their own game, rather than just cynically rewrite history.

Amen!
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Im late 40s and it is shocking and offensive watching this now even though its the TV I grew up watching..
    I think we just accept thats how things were then and they are different now we have all grown and moved on ..thankfully
    There will be things today that we may look on in 40 years time and feel just the same..
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Real life Constable Savage...

As soon as I saw that clip on last night's show that was the first thing that sprang to mind.

After seeing that I really think that was the inspiration behind the Constable Savage sketch from Not the Nine O'Clock News.

I definitely think that this second show was much better than the first one overall.
    It seemed to be a lot more rational and some of the talking heads appeared to be seeing things in context, with less shock and horror and more laughing at the awfulness of the clips.
    I think Arthur Cox put it well when he said that we are just as stupid and as prejudiced as we always have been, it's just that our targets change a bit.

I also thought that the show was hilarious. It's just that some of the clips were so awful it was hilarious viewing.
    "What do mean by wearing gay clothes?"
    "You know, like wearing a gay shirt".
    And of course the Black and White Minstrel show depicting a white man caricaturing a black man caricaturing a Chinese man.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    I detest this program.. "Ooh that`s a bit sexist" "Ooh that`s a bit racist"

1.. We weren`t brainwashed back then into looking for ism`s everywhere.. we just saw it as entertainment. No-one was bothered by a wolf whistle or a pat on the bum.. we didn`t see Minstrels as hatred to anyone

2 What do they want us to do about it now anyway.. It was the 70`s for christ`s sake >:(

They could arrest Bill Oddie and Derek Griffiths and tell them that this show was one big sting setup.

It was quite amusing to see Bill Oddie last week following the PC message about how awful it all was, holding his hand up to his face wondering how they got away with it, then being shown last night as one of the culprits. All you can do there is hold your hands up and say 'Fair cop guv'.

I think the show was better this week because it didn't just condemn all these shows, it did appear to be applying context to some of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    Bloody hell that train information film was a bit hard hitting...made me shudder in horror.

I laughed out loud though when the bloke held up the pair of trainers as though it was some consolation.:D

The PIFs were scary, but hilarious at the same time.

It's such a shame that they didn't show 'The Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water'....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPMYRlvySY

That's one which will have stuck in the minds of many on here. And scared them half to death too.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Or 'Come Fly With Me' for that matter!

In 30 years let's hope things have gone full circle and unfunny left-wing drivel like 'Miranda' gets torn apart and panned on programmes like this :)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Why were they having a go at Derek Griffiths singing 'Melting Pot'? It's not as if he wrote the song!

Or was it just the 'Chinky eye' thing that was the issue?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hardylane wrote: »
    No they're not... they've been told to aspire to, or pretend to be middle class, as if it's somehow better.

Exactly.

If you think about it the 80s and the 90s had the balance just right. Now we've gone too far the other way and become a nations of pussies who are offended by every little thing. I think Twitter has played a large part in it actually, so many news stories based on people's tweets whining about something someone's said. :(

Whoever said people have become increasingly infantilised is spot on. I mean look at those 70s public information films for kids... And now we've come to the stage where ADULTS need a warning before EVERY break because of content that might offend them. Way way way too far the other way.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,610
    Forum Member

So did I :D and like one of the older comedians said, you cannot change history.

I do feel that this programme is to get the backs up of the PC brigade and cause more outrage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    So did I :D and like one of the older comedians said, you cannot change history.

I do feel that this programme is to get the backs up of the PC brigade and cause more outrage.

It would've been a lot better without the vacuous lefties they had on between the clips. They should've just spoken to the people who were in the clips. Far more interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly.

If you think about it the 80s and the 90s had the balance just right. Now we've gone too far the other way and become a nations of pussies who are offended by every little thing. I think Twitter has played a large part in it actually, so many news stories based on people's tweets whining about something someone's said. :(

Whoever said people have become increasingly infantilised is spot on. I mean look at those 70s public information films for kids... And now we've come to the stage where ADULTS need a warning before EVERY break because of content that might offend them. Way way way too far the other way.
    Basically - fascism. Get everyone scared then Big Mummy Government looking after them..

A mix of Huxley and Orwell...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly.

Well said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would've been a lot better without the vacuous lefties they had on between the clips. They should've just spoken to the people who were in the clips. Far more interesting.

Without them though, how could the programme have given their 'the 1970s were bad' message?
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking back at those 70s programmes. I think the majority of viewers who liked the camp.racist humour were the older generation. we were told we are not laughing at racism, we are laughing at the racist. i was in my early 20s in the mid 70s and apart from Till death does us part and rising damp i thought they were all rubbish. i know my m8s felt the same as well. cant say it was down to being offended,it just wasn't funny. a lot of it was just lazy talentless writing getting cheap laughs.