Options

EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    keithstokeithsto Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Any news on Wakefield centre? It looks like some of it has been addressed but what about the rest?
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    keithsto wrote: »
    Any news on Wakefield centre? It looks like some of it has been addressed but what about the rest?

Strangely looking at rootmetrics it seems it's all Networks suffering a similar issue, I'll ask about it.. Which areas are you finding there are issues?
  • Options
    keithstokeithsto Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Tesco (O2) 4g has dropped a couple of dots but seems ok. I meant that half of the centre is now yellow on the ee map but the rest is still pale green outdoor useless 4g and the 3G is terribly slow, perhaps congested?
  • Options
    voodoofishvoodoofish Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Plymouth, have you heard the rumour about EE adding EU roaming data (as well as calls/texts) to their phone plans soon?

Is this rumour for their phone plans, or will SIM only be included too? At the moment you can get double speed on SIM only but not EU call/text roaming - that's only included if you get a handset plan. I always buy handsets outright and have recently bought a new iPhone, so do not particularly want a handset tariff from EE!

I've been looking to switch from Three and have been testing payg sims for the past few months, as I'm sick of the bad congestion on Three's network. With the price hike coming (I'm on the £15/m One Plan) I will definitely leave. The only reason I have not left already is because I can't decide between EE's generally better UK network and Vodafone's cheaper roaming. If better roaming deals came along from EE it would make the decision much easier :)
  • Options
    unouno Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been asked to look into something for a friend they have been with EE since shortly after 4G launch and had an IPhone 5 as on original style price plan they got double speed included.

They have now upgraded to a IPhone 6 on the same price plan but claim they can not get double speed in the same places, They have spoken to CS who have said everything remains the same, however is there any way of seeing in the field test menu whether double speed is enabled ? If single speed on the account would it still show as 20mhz in the menu ? This may just be down to her doing speed tests during busy times and capacity issues
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    voodoofish wrote: »
    Is this rumour for their phone plans, or will SIM only be included too? At the moment you can get double speed on SIM only but not EU call/text roaming - that's only included if you get a handset plan. I always buy handsets outright and have recently bought a new iPhone, so do not particularly want a handset tariff from EE!

I've been looking to switch from Three and have been testing payg sims for the past few months, as I'm sick of the bad congestion on Three's network. With the price hike coming (I'm on the £15/m One Plan) I will definitely leave. The only reason I have not left already is because I can't decide between EE's generally better UK network and Vodafone's cheaper roaming. If better roaming deals came along from EE it would make the decision much easier :)

On EE SIM Only the EU thing is £2 a day.
    On Vodafone It's £3 a day right?

I'd still say EE is better value for money than Vodafone by far.
  • Options
    steffanglsteffangl Posts: 438
    Forum Member

Vodafone include data in their £3. EE is just calls/texts.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    uno wrote: »
    I have been asked to look into something for a friend they have been with EE since shortly after 4G launch and had an IPhone 5 as on original style price plan they got double speed included.

They have now upgraded to a IPhone 6 on the same price plan but claim they can not get double speed in the same places, They have spoken to CS who have said everything remains the same, however is there any way of seeing in the field test menu whether double speed is enabled ? If single speed on the account would it still show as 20mhz in the menu ? This may just be down to her doing speed tests during busy times and capacity issues

The phone will still pick up 20MHz even if the account isn't set up for double speed.

Effectively - the regular EE plans have a speed cap applied to them (30mbit/sec IIRC) and the double speed plans don't have the cap applied.
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you make a one minute call for 18.2p but have signed up for the £2 a day deal, you'd pay £2. You can't decide after. Not great value for money.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,668
    Forum Member
    uno wrote: »
    IThey have now upgraded to a IPhone 6 on the same price plan but claim they can not get double speed in the same places

There is no way to determine if your mast has upgraded back haul. I've seen in my town areas where I've got 15mbps in July with 20mhz transmissions improve to 70mbps or higher randomly, and I assumed back haul.
  • Options
    voodoofishvoodoofish Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Orangy wrote: »
    If you make a one minute call for 18.2p but have signed up for the £2 a day deal, you'd pay £2. You can't decide after. Not great value for money.

Yes, this is why I don't like the current EE deal. Really I'm interested in data, not calls/texts. I'm happy to pay Vodafone's £3 a day just to use my 'home' data allowance in another country, and getting calls/texts included is a bonus. On EE you have to pay for data and then for calls/texts on top (either at £2/day or the standard capped EU rates per minute or text). The data's not cheap at £25 for 500mb in the EU. For a 5 day trip, this works out at £5/day for just 100mb of data a day, plus charges for any calls/texts on top. The calls/texts would be capped to £2/day with their bundle, but if you opt into the bundle you pay this regardless of whether you talk for hours or send one text. Realistically some days I will want to call home and chat for a while (so the bundle will be good value) and others I will just want to send one or two texts (so the bundle will be bad value). Unless I deliberately restrict my usage, I normally use more than 100mb/day, so I would either have to buy another data bundle or spend the whole trip worrying about how much data I'm using and trying to cut back. Essentially if I use my phone as I do in the UK I'll send up spending quite a bit more than £5/day (just 100mb of data and the talk/text add on is already £7/day for a 5 day trip, assuming you call/text at least once a day).

With Vodafone, I would only pay £15 for the same 5 days (5x£3), could use my full UK data allowance and wouldn't have to pay any extra for any calls/texts I made. I could basically use my phone as I do in the UK for only £3 a day, which I like the sound of, BUT the trade off is that when you're back in the UK you're stuck on Vodafone's network, which is why I can't decide what to do ;-)

Was there any indication of when the plans with roaming might be available to customers? If I am going to switch to EE it would make sense for me to wait to see what they are :) I also wanted to say I appreciate people with knowledge giving the heads up on these forums - although I'm still puzzling over what to do, I feel like I'll be making a more informed decision, whatever I decide, thanks to you guys :D
  • Options
    unouno Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Plymouthbloke1974- I will have to get together with them and do some speed tests together on masts I know are 20mhz enabled and have suitable backhaul.

It does seem that they may have been capped as was reporting 45mbit at Leicester railway station last week yet this week was always around 20mbit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you are in Leicester itself try around the Abbey park area. Should get over 40mb speeds there, certainly during quiet times.
  • Options
    ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great speeds in Peterborough today

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1055467471

Hopeful for some 4G in Stamford soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All I want from EE is a 50GB and 100GB package that is priced somewhat competitively.

If the USA can do it then we can do it to.

I'd like there to be another mobile data leader out there rather than just parity like there always was and still is between Voda/O2/EE.

I really hate this tariff parity we have, there needs to be innovation in the UK Mobile market again but no one seems to want to take those steps forward.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I want from EE is a 50GB and 100GB package that is priced somewhat competitively.

I'd like there to be another mobile data leader out there rather than just parity like there always was and still is between Voda/O2/EE.

I really hate this tariff parity we have, there needs to be innovation in the UK Mobile market again but no one seems to want to take those steps forward.

Which US network offers those? Verizon and AT&T aren't exactly leading the charge in reasonable pricing.
  • Options
    ard100ard100 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    The uk needs bigger mobile broadband / data tariffs three in other country's offer larger data tariffs and i think ee need larger data tariffs vodafone and 02 are a joke for mobile broadband the tariffs are tiny,

• Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Which US network offers those? Verizon and AT&T aren't exactly leading the charge in reasonable pricing.

When I said the "USA can do it" I meant in terms of providing 50GB and 100GB packages.

When I talked about tariff parity in the UK I was referring to when the big 3 copy each other for everything. For example, Unlimited Mins/texts on every plan, 20GB max data etc...

I think it was around 2011 when every network suddenly started to offer unlimited mins/texts on their top tier tariffs, O2 with on&on, Vodafone with Red, Orange with The Works and EE with their tariffs.
  • Options
    RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member

So that's the 50GB for $375 (£240) a month Verizon plan you're after? You could offer to pay EE this much, or simply pay £75 a month for the 50GB share plan?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They do larger packages.. likely need to be on a business account but if you call they are available. Competitively priced.. well bare in mind unrestricted tethering. So hard to compare.
    USA is hard to compare.. very advanced roll out, huge customer base etc etc.

Better to compare with Europe where for example LTE packages with T-Mobile Germany is around € 90 for 5Gb.... Even more if you want 300mbit/s speeds and high data i.e. 20Gb costs €149 with similar benefits to EE's more expensive tariffs i.e. EU minutes etc.
  • Options
    matty1000kkmatty1000kk Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1055500937

Ex Orange 2G mast now Updated locally to me. Good work EE. No 4G yet though.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1055500937

Ex Orange 2G mast now Updated locally to me. Good work EE. No 4G yet though.

What?? Really?? They are actually doing them??
    Good god, Better watch out for flying pigs tomorrow then!
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They do larger packages.. likely need to be on a business account but if you call they are available. Competitively priced.. well bare in mind unrestricted tethering. So hard to compare.
    USA is hard to compare.. very advanced roll out, huge customer base etc etc.

Better to compare with Europe where for example LTE packages with T-Mobile Germany is around € 90 for 5Gb.... Even more if you want 300mbit/s speeds and high data i.e. 20Gb costs €149 with similar benefits to EE's more expensive tariffs i.e. EU minutes etc.

Yeah and people here moan about EEs pricing.
    Those prices make EEs 50GB for £50 look really good value!
    As you say, I did see a company the other day selling EE business plans and I think there was a 100GB for £120 (£100+VAT) plan. Or something like that. It was 100GB anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Coverage map updated.

Devon you are paranoid.. :)

I know.
    Didn't come on after all! :(
    Here's hoping for this weekend then!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought EE stopped doing their 50GB phone plan?

Thanks for the heads up regarding the 100GB business plan though Devon. I'll see what I can find. Tbh I haven't looked at EE's business page since launch in 2012.

edit: can only see 36GB max on the business page. Anyone know where these other plans can be found?
This discussion has been closed.