Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Surely the problem here is that ITV don't have BBC2? A nightly Xtra Factor on ITV2 would likely have been an absolute disaster even when The X Factor was at its peak and burying a show like that during daytime on ITV (which would be their only other option) isn't going to see it rate well either. ITV don't have a channel that's capable of supporting these kinds of shows. The BBC do.

Well, as mentioned, when Pop Idol was on in 2003, for a while they had Pop Idol Extra on every day and for a while it was three hours long, from 4pm to 7pm. If Hollyoaks can get over a million on E4 every night I don't see why an X Factor spin-off can't do decent enough business for ITV2. Obviously you'd be wise to avoid the soaps but if you were to put it at 6pm or 7.30 when there isn't much else for a younger audience people could build it into their schedule. They're already doing loads of stuff for the website, they may as well put it on the telly.

It's worth remembering that in the early days of digital TV there was loads of live programming, BBC Choice ran Backstage every day and when ITV2 started in 1998 part of the schedule was Bedrock, a daily teen magazine. When More4 began in 2005 they had a daily chat show as well. There was Liquid News as well of course. All that seems to have gone for a burton, but now everyone's got ITV2 I don't see why it's such a demented idea to go for a daily X Factor spin-off to fill a slot.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Including +1, Adults 16-34 compared with total audience.

Alan Carr (07/11) - 540k / 1.89m > 29% skew
    Graham Norton (07/11) - 418k / 3.63m > 12% skew

Ooh, fancy that. Not sure the guest lists would suggest that, though, as I say the guest lists this series have been pretty interchangable. And in terms of the raw numbers they're not that different, are they? He says, desperately trying to pretend he still has a point.
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Not a chance. Ratings wise it's Itv's Citizen Khan not Mrs Browns Boys.

I love how Citizen Khan has been written off from episode one, in fact probably before that, but Vicious which does even worse (given it was promoted to high heaven, has big stars in the cast and got the most fantastic slot, none of which Citizen Khan has ever had) continues to get total support here.
    The Apprentice won't air on Christmas Eve because the Beeb likes to interview the winner on the usual platforms the next day. As previously, it will air 8-10 on Sunday 21st.

Yes, it's the same as putting Bake Off on Christmas Day, a huge part of this show's success comes from all the social media stuff and people talking about it. That's not going to happen on Christmas Day, everyone's busy doing other stuff. It's like why they do the Strictly final the weekend before Christmas and the show on Christmas Day itself is a pre-recorded affair. Also it's a big enough show to be the star attraction of the night, not lost among the rest of the Christmas fare.
    No dramas in the Crickley Hall/Remember Me vein commissioned yet, none I can see anyway, but I think The Secret Agent could work against IAC, three part spy drama based on Joseph Conrad's book.

When I saw Joseph Conrad's name in that press release I was reminded again of that bit in Will Wyatt's book when he talks about organising a meeting with an English literature expert when he was running BBC TV in the nineties to come up with ideas for books and authors they could adapt, and it was said that the one author who would be totally unsuitable for TV adaptation was Joseph Conrad. The day before they'd just commissioned Nostromo by Joseph Conrad and Wyatt says, "When I saw it, I knew we should have had that meeting a day earlier."
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    My thoughts on the new Jekyll and Hyde are that its an interesting one, On one hand good I think that ITV are trying something that might shake Saturday night tv up on the other you could say that it sounds a bit of a mismash.
    Its not really Jekyll and Hyde but sounds like a cross between Incredible Hulk/Demons set randomly in the thirties. Is it going to be serious or jokey? If they can get the balance right it could be good. Personally I would want something like Being Human but I dont suppose it can be like that. Are we assuming 8:30/9 pm?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    It might well do. He didn't say anything about quitting X Factor, he just mentioned the four US shows and said he'll be appearing on one of them (a new show).

''Simon Cowell has thrown his future on TXF into doubt after revealing plans to make FOUR TV series in the US next year. Faced with the show's dwindling ratings the Syco boss has confirmed he will be venturing across the pond for several projects.''

Olivia Waring, The Sun
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    My thoughts on the new Jekyll and Hyde are that its an interesting one, On one hand good I think that ITV are trying something that might shake Saturday night tv up on the other you could say that it sounds a bit of a mismash.
    Its not really Jekyll and Hyde but sounds like a cross between Incredible Hulk/Demons set randomly in the thirties. Is it going to be serious or jokey? If they can get the balance right it could be good. Personally I would want something like Being Human but I dont suppose it can be like that. Are we assuming 8:30/9 pm?

It is an interesting idea, considering the BBC did a much darker version of Jekyll a few years ago. However I really don't see it doing the business that some are expecting. Fantasy drama is very difficult to get right as the BBC have seen, and I think that it will be in the same area as Demons and Primeval, bringing in around 3million.

I think Thunderbirds will possibly launch around a similar figure with just a curiosity factor and then slump again. Remaking an iconic series never goes down well with some of the fan bois out there.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    ''Simon Cowell has thrown his future on TXF into doubt after revealing plans to make FOUR TV series in the US next year. Faced with the show's dwindling ratings the Syco boss has confirmed he will be venturing across the pond for several projects.''

Olivia Waring, The Sun

Yeah I don't think "The X Factor" has long now, although its a fair point why would ITV replace something that brings them 8 or 9 million. The probably don't want to rest it yet. But would a couple of years of not revive it.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders anniversary will be like DW. Not stop promotion from the BBC, trailers every break, posters, teasers, midnight announcements etc. The BBC will push heavily. I think it will make 10m-11m but not much more. From then on it will plummet back down to earth.

Christmas will give you no clues. Like last year I suspect EE will be below 8m.

Possibly. Emmerdale did a well publicised live episode a few years ago and it was down on their previous one.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 2m2 minutes ago
    #ImACeIebrity topped the ratings last night with 9.04m/37.3%. Against it, a #NewTricks repeat on BBC1 drew 2.49m/10.3%.

UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 38s38 seconds ago
    BBC2's new series #PoshPeople: Inside @TatlerUK pulled in 1.49m/6.1%. C4's #Skint also drew 1.49m (6.2%), although this includes +1.

UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 15s15 seconds ago
    BBC2's quiz hr continued to perform well with the two most watched shows away from BBC1/ITV:
    #UniversityChallenge 2.69m
    #OnlyConnect 2.28m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 2m2 minutes ago
    #ImACeIebrity topped the ratings last night with 9.04m/37.3%. Against it, a #NewTricks repeat on BBC1 drew 2.49m/10.3%.

UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 38s38 seconds ago
    BBC2's new series #PoshPeople: Inside @TatlerUK pulled in 1.49m/6.1%. C4's #Skint also drew 1.49m (6.2%), although this includes +1.

If BBC1 put a new drama on would it have done better or be wasted? Posh People already beat up on Intruders. BBC2 should have held that documentary back until after I'm A Celebrity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Yeah I don't think "The X Factor" has long now, although its a fair point why would ITV replace something that brings them 8 or 9 million. The probably don't want to rest it yet. But would a couple of years of not revive it.

XF and The Voice for that matter will continue until their ratings fall further. One of the main reasons being the respective broadcasters have sod all to replace them with.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 11s12 seconds ago
    The teatime quiz shows also continue to pull in big numbers. #Pointless yesterday averaged 3.83m/24.2% and #TheChase drew 3.54m/23.5%.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although still bigger than anything else, that rating for IAC is still disappointing
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't think Cowell leaving again will have a massive effect on XF ratings. This year has proved that his presence has a negligible impact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    I really don't think Cowell leaving again will have a massive effect on XF ratings. This year has proved that his presence has a negligible impact.

Either way Cowell makes no difference in the long run to The X Factor. Short term gain at the start of the series but it isn't doing much better than last year.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows live or die by the strength of their format at the end of the day. Many people were saying the loss of Brucie would do a lot of damage to Strictly, but that hasnt happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although still bigger than anything else, that rating for IAC is still disappointing

Was IAC higher last year with stronger or weaker competition? I can't remember. It also still had the halo effect from a strong week 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edwina Currie was trending worldwide this evening, thanks to her argument with Kendra.

Did John Major tweet anything? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Either way Cowell makes no difference in the long run to The X Factor. Short term gain at the start of the series but it isn't doing much better than last year.

Doing worse than last year isnt it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was IAC higher last year with stronger or weaker competition? I can't remember. It also still had the halo effect from a strong week 1.

IAC has had stronger competition this year at least on some days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    Shows live or die by the strength of their format at the end of the day. Many people were saying the loss of Brucie would do a lot of damage to Strictly, but that hasnt happened.

Although SCD is down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Last year faced Ripper Street with 3.1m

@jscummins: ITV Ratings: ITV had the top 3 shows of the night - @imacelebrity 10m/40% (peak 10.7m), @itvcorrie 9.2m/40%, and 9.3m/36% share
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IAC down 1m YOY which suggests the first episode has felt the effect of BBC1 scheduling of War Horse. Without that it might have been closer to last year series.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last year faced Ripper Street with 3.1m

@jscummins: ITV Ratings: ITV had the top 3 shows of the night - @imacelebrity 10m/40% (peak 10.7m), @itvcorrie 9.2m/40%, and 9.3m/36% share

Were the hell is he getting the figures for Corri from? DS reports:
    Corri- 7.89mil & 7.8mil
    EE- 7.05mil
    ED- 6.32mil
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UktvRs says 9m, Jenny says 10m.

Aren't they both aggregators?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were the hell is he getting the figures for Corri from? DS reports:
    Corri- 7.89mil & 7.8mil
    EE- 7.05mil
    ED- 6.32mil

That was last year
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IAC down 1m YOY which suggests the first episode has felt the effect of BBC1 scheduling of War Horse. Without that it might have been closer to last year series.

May I suggest the BBC dose more like that, as it was nice to have a decent movie for a change. Plus it shows the right Movie can make strong competition.
This discussion has been closed.