Options

Ferguson Grand Jury Announcement within the hour

Comments

• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    duffsdad wrote: »
    I haven't been following this story...is this verdict from the grand jury just based on the evidence and just unpopular or is it a travesty?

Personally, I think that whenever a black person gets shot in the USA, there'll be other black people who're convinced racism was the motive regardless of the circumstances.

In this case, the "teenager" who was shot was summat like 6'4ft tall and weighed 300lbs, had just committed a robbery when he was stopped by the cops, tussled with the cop who detained him and then, apparently, got away then turned around and went back to confront the cop when he was shot.

On the one hand, that hardly seems like the actions of a law-abiding citizen but, OTOH, even if the cop was genuinely in fear of his safety, it seems a bit off that, in a civilised society, the only possible response to that situation is to shoot somebody dead.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Multiple fires reported.
  • Options
    MenoetiusMenoetius Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R82n8 wrote: »
    Multiple fires reported.

Lots of them. It's mental. The fire department have pulled out due to shots fired and are leaving the buildings to burn.
    It's only 11:15pm there ... it's going to be a long night for them.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like Christmas day for the yobs.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someones been shot outside a McDonalds now.

Edit:- Police officer shot.
  • Options
    MenoetiusMenoetius Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A news reporter has just been struck on the head with a rock during a live report. Idiots could have killed her.

Poor lady was describing the scene, then whack, you could hear the thud as the rock hit her on the head and she keeled over.

She bravely carried on for a minute but then she was told to get to a safe place.

Madness.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so sad Michael isn't there to enjoy the looting.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    thugs and criminals taking advantage as usual....they should have a nightly curfew for a few weeks but I'm glad the grand jury came to conclusion it did and cleared the officer.
    what a mess that town is.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    It's so sad Michael isn't there to enjoy the looting.

It's what he would have wanted
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Michael Che on SNL summed it up quite well ..
    "So spoiler alert, I guess we know what the verdict is," Che said. "Deploying the National Guard before the verdict is like your lawyer telling you to show up in something orange."
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the face of it, it would seem a bit of a strange decision. Will read the evidence.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Personally, I think that whenever a black person gets shot in the USA, there'll be other black people who're convinced racism was the motive regardless of the circumstances.

In this case, the "teenager" who was shot was summat like 6'4ft tall and weighed 300lbs, had just committed a robbery when he was stopped by the cops, tussled with the cop who detained him and then, apparently, got away then turned around and went back to confront the cop when he was shot.

On the one hand, that hardly seems like the actions of a law-abiding citizen but, OTOH, even if the cop was genuinely in fear of his safety, it seems a bit off that, in a civilised society, the only possible response to that situation is to shoot somebody dead.
    It was a completely justified shooting if you actually review the evidence properly.

These animals are out for themselves, this rioting has nothing to do with justice.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    People rioting do no favours for their cause.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say, I'm not sure how burning down cars, businesses, smashing up barber shops, breaking into McDonalds and looting convenience stores has ANYTHING to do with the issue at hand.

Like so many 'protests', just seems to be an excuse to cause chaos and destroy their own neighbourhood.

I'd be tempted to go as far as to say let them get on with it, quite frankly.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    People rioting do no favours for their cause.

Or their neighbourhood. Looking at the crowd gathered last night, their intention was clear. It wasn't justice they were looking for, because Michael Brown was guilty as hell, and the policeman shot in self defence. It was another excuse for violence, and to get a few more freebies.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...And they'll end up destroying the businesses, livelihoods and well-being of the community they are pretending to represent.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    It was a completely justified shooting if you actually review the evidence properly.

These animals are out for themselves, this rioting has nothing to do with justice.

If you believe Wilson's account word for word. It's a shame we don't have Michael Brown's version of events. There were also witnesses who contradicted things Wilson said with regards to Brown's actions, so that alone throws doubt on your "completely justified shooting" theory, in my opninion.

The rioting is utterly riduclous.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,442
    Forum Member
    No excuse for violence. It accomplishes nothing.

But how a jury could look at photos of that cop who obviously suffered no injuries at all and then accept he felt he was in mortal danger is utterly absurd.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    If you believe Wilson's account word for word. It's a shame we don't have Michael Brown's version of events. There were also witnesses who contradicted things Wilson said with regards to Brown's actions, so that alone throws doubt on your "completely justified shooting" theory, in my opninion.

The rioting is utterly riduclous.
    The forensic evidence damns the false testimony of biased "witnesses". The shoot was justified, if there was anything at all to throw real doubt then it would have proceeded to a criminal charge, the threshold is low enough that it would have.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    The forensic evidence damns the false testimony of biased "witnesses". The shoot was justified, if there was anything at all to throw real doubt then it would have proceeded to a criminal charge, the threshold is low enough that it would have.

Kinda funny how, whenever a black person gets shot by a white person in the USA, there'll usually be a couple of black "witnesses" who pop up to claim that the brother wuz jus' mindin' his bidness when the cracka gunned 'im down.
    Shame that these observant people are rarely around when black people are killing each other in gang violence etc.

Not keen on the way US cops are often willing to use deadly force as a first line of defence but, then again, I suppose you have to remember that they're in a country where a heap of cops get killed each year, often because they didn't treat a situation as seriously as it deserved as well.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely the most biased witness in all of this is the guy who killed him?
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    dekaf wrote: »
    Or their neighbourhood. Looking at the crowd gathered last night, their intention was clear. It wasn't justice they were looking for, because Michael Brown was guilty as hell, and the policeman shot in self defence. It was another excuse for violence, and to get a few more freebies.

Guilty of what?

I agree with the judges decision, because the policeman acted correctly in the context of what he believed to be the situation, it does not mean Wilson is justified in doing what he did if he Knew that Brown did not have a gun. He was convinced, by Brown actions, that he was going to shoot him, so he tried to stop him, but this does not turn Brown into some sort of guilty party.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Kinda funny how, whenever a black person gets shot by a white person in the USA, there'll usually be a couple of black "witnesses" who pop up to claim that the brother wuz jus' mindin' his bidness when the cracka gunned 'im down.
    Shame that these observant people are rarely around when black people are killing each other in gang violence etc.

Not keen on the way US cops are often willing to use deadly force as a first line of defence but, then again, I suppose you have to remember that they're in a country where a heap of cops get killed each year, often because they didn't treat a situation as seriously as it deserved as well.

Hi Si. I read your posts and they are balanced.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    I haven't been following this story...is this verdict from the grand jury just based on the evidence and just unpopular or is it a travesty?

Both. It was a disaster if they wanted justice to be seen to be done. It was dodgy that prosexutor supposed to be pushing for a trial seemed less than enthusiastic to do his job, that the jury was unrefective of the community when all the complaints were that the police are also. Complete hash job which was why the deployed the guard before the verdict. It was pretty easy to predict events.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/michael-brown-shooting/ferguson-cop-darren-wilson-not-indicted-shooting-michael-brown-n255391
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rioting and now looting the shops, just an excuse to get a new T.V.