Options

Is rioting ever justified?

PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
Forum Member
Or at least understandable?

I find it hard to condemn completely given the current situation in the US. If the police are allowed to commit racist murders with impunity, what options do people have?

I hear today that the killer cop has said he has no regrets whatsoever.

Comments

• Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find it hard to condemn completely given the current situation in the US. If the police are allowed to commit racist murders with impunity, what options do people have?

What murder was that?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I'd say yes. Rioting probably is justified in certain circumstances. Most likely as a precursor to revolution in an undemocratic country.

I wouldn't say any of that applies in the case of a criminal getting shot though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What murder was that?

The one where the cop shot the unarmed man 6 times, finishing with a head shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one where the cop shot the unarmed man 6 times, finishing with a head shot.

Well as you know he has not been charged so no murder has been committed.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So? I consider it murder.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Yes. If the new Star Wars movie turns out to be as bad as The Phantom Menace, I expect nothing less.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So? I consider it murder.

Well the Grand Jury did not so that is rather more important.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to demonstrations and protest marches.
    The rioting in London scared the poop out of me.
  • Options
    spanna5spanna5 Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    If people are unhappy at the police, why burn down somebody else's shop or loot

Seems you would be targeting the wrong people

I don't know enough of the facts of the case to judge if shooting was appropriate, but the jury that heard the facts didn't think it was worth bringing charges .... still I'm sure the mob mentality knows better
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    No it's not. Smashing up other peoples property and stealing is wrong in every circumstance. All those rioters wrecking the places where they themselves live is ridiculous. It's just smashing up your own place and then expecting someone else to fix it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well the Grand Jury did not so that is rather more important.

Make your point.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By definition the term riot includes violence 'a violent disturbance of the peace' so no, I don't ever think that violence is called for.

I am all for peaceful protest of any kind, and the right to do so.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I think it depends and can take time to look back for example the riots for black rights in the US in the 50's and 60's at the time it would have been a bad thing to live though but looking back it was probably worth it .

In other countries now if someone is oppressed and rioting is the only way to get your voice heard then it's worth it say for example counties where it's illegal to be gay and you can be arrested - beaten or out to death for it
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't think riots are ever justified, especially if it means destroying people's businesses. Those rioting, like in the case of those in America which the first poster has mentioned, they're probably expressing their anger over a (maybe?) unjustified killing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    No, I don't think riots are ever justified, especially if it means destroying people's businesses. Those rioting, like in the case of those in America which the first poster has mentioned, they're probably expressing their anger over a (maybe?) unjustified killing.
    They could peacefully protest about it, as rioting by definition includes violence (to property or person) ... which I've always thought dilutes the argument rather than anything else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    They could peacefully protest about it, as rioting by definition includes violence (to property or person) ... which I've always thought dilutes the argument rather than anything else.

Or a lot stronger than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He says the reason he was on his phone during a press conference is because he was reading updates about a case. Well, he could have waited until it was over to start reading them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or a lot stronger than that.
    You mean riot :p

What's between peaceful protest (non-violent) and riot?
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or at least understandable?

I hear today that the killer cop has said he has no regrets whatsoever.
    Do you mean generally speaking, or would you include Ferguson in the riots you don't completely condemn?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    You mean riot :p

What's between peaceful protest (non-violent) and riot?

An aggressive protest where people's passions are showing. I call a peaceful protest where a load of people are just shouting the reason for their protest and that's that.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean has anything positive ever come out of riotiing then yes. The Watts riots were a turning point in the civil rights movement for example and the Soweto uprising was also pivotal.

Both the Brixton riots and last years highlighted issues if racial profiling, discrimination and distrust between the police and minority communities. There were efforts at change after both.

At times the threat and reality of violence can enforce change especially if it effects business. Business likes stability and any known for championing social justice changes - unless it affects their bottom line.

I bet a lot of business in Ferguson were really really really hoping for a trial....
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    No.

I'd agree with an old fashioned peaceful demo, but that barely happens any more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best you can actually accurately say is 'a murder may have been committed, but no murder has been proved'.
    No, I don't think riots are ever justified
    Can you really be that definitive?
    What if government suppression was so harsh that the public was being killed out of hand and no legal recourse was available?
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

I'd agree with an old fashioned peaceful demo, but that barely happens any more.

There's were peaceful protestations throughout the US after the latest shootings asking for justice. Did it make any difference?