Options

The Wright Stuff Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh if Louis Spence is on this I will watch This morning in steed as posted about him in another thread that he makes me switch over with the remote LOL.

The moron is a real turn off.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    The moron is a real turn off.

Definitely not a moron
    He's amusing, and a fantastic dancer!
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,650
    Forum Member
    I can't believe how Matthew was treating that caller about the newspaper displays.
    She was being calm and rational with him and seemed to be quite intelligent, but he was acting like a child, and displaying his usual tricks of limiting the discussion on one question. The caller was trying to make her point but he was banging on about Helen Flanagan for some reason.
    It appeared that the show had got their facts slightly wrong and the panel had wasted several minutes at the start banging on about a non-existent argument, as the woman said that they weren't actually covering up front page images they were just moving them on the shelf.

Then with some other caller on the same subject he had Louis join in the goading. When the caller said that she couldn't hear him when two people are speaking at the same time (Matthew and Louis) even the studio audience seemed to be mocking the caller.

What the hell is going on with this show? That section was just ludicrous.

I watched the show last week and there was a presenter called Matt who was doing it and he was brilliant. Funny, charming, intelligent, and I noticed that he simply asked callers to make their point and listened to what they wanted to say, rather than trying to argue with them and try to get them to agree with his point of view.

I only watched a little bit today and thankfully missed him mocking callers!

The bit I did see, however, was him back to winning the argument. It was the section on
    hand dryers. He would ask the caller if they agreed with him (and would repeat the same
    point over and over) until they said yes then gleefully clap. :confused:

He really does not get the point which is bizarre after all this time.

It's funny how much love Matt Barbet has got on here. :D Some people just have what
    it takes it seems. Even with less experience of the specific format.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    I would love Matt Barbett to be the new host seeing as Dickie has probably now been locked in a remote out building somewhere by Matthew. :D

Yes, and it's all our fault for having our poll on here :D:p

Richard.......where are you ?? ;-)
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dickie is currently locked in my cellar, I'll send him your regards ;-)
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Dickie is currently locked in my cellar, I'll send him your regards ;-)

I doubt even a top-of-the-line ball-gag would stem the flow of mind-numbing anecdotes from Madeley.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    I only watched a little bit today and thankfully missed him mocking callers!

The bit I did see, however, was him back to winning the argument. It was the section on
    hand dryers. He would ask the caller if they agreed with him (and would repeat the same
    point over and over) until they said yes then gleefully clap. :confused:

He really does not get the point which is bizarre after all this time.

It's funny how much love Matt Barbet has got on here. :D Some people just have what
    it takes it seems. Even with less experience of the specific format.

Yes I noticed how Matt Barbet seems to see that the point of the callers is to let them make their point and listen to what they want to say. Whether they are right or wrong is irrelevant because the panel are there to discuss the points made after the caller has gone.

Conversely, Matthew Wright thinks the callers are there for him to try to make sure that their views accord with his own.

There have been some very good stand-ins for Matthew Wright, but I think that Matt Barbet should be at the very top of the list for a permanent replacement should there ever be one.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do I have a feeling we'll never see Matt Barbett anywhere near the Wright Stuff studio again?!?! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "A shorter week for less pay?" says Louis.

"I`m in!" says Matthew.

If you worked any less Matthew you`d have to get a job as a teacher instead.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The revolting Wright defending the equally revolting Blair. Oh and being nasty to callers again for no reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to revive this hoary old chestnut:

"Callers are NOT the enemy, Matthew.."
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    The revolting Wright defending the equally revolting Blair. Oh and being nasty to callers again for no reason.

From shouting at the caller, Pearl I think?, he soon went quiet when he heard her accent, talk about 2 faced! >:(
  • Options
    Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's so rude to people.

He often expects an immediate answer to a reframed question.
    Don't ask the question from a different angle when the caller knows they have a limited time to make their point and might be nervous to be on tv.

He often harries people for answers to yes/no questions and when he extracts the answer he wants i.e. the caller agrees with him, he then sits back with that stupid, smug, pursed lip grin as if he's won something, never mind that the discussion has ground to a total halt.

A very immature man at times.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If a caller tries to make a coherent counter-argument to what Wrighty says- well, that's if they can get a word in- he cuts them off. Bit like the kid in the playground who hits you and runs away before you can hit them back.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Anya D wrote: »
    He's so rude to people.

He often expects an immediate answer to a reframed question.
    Don't ask the question from a different angle when the caller knows they have a limited time to make their point and might be nervous to be on tv.

He often harries people for answers to yes/no questions and when he extracts the answer he wants i.e. the caller agrees with him, he then sits back with that stupid, smug, pursed lip grin as if he's won something, never mind that the discussion has ground to a total halt.

A very immature man at times.

I only watch occasionally but you have summed him up to a tee. I felt sorry for that woman this morning. She had obviously aired her views to the reserarcher(?) beforehand and her response deemed suitable for airing. Why change the goalposts live on air. She had her point already to make and then he (MW) wouldn't let her make it. Very smug and unprofessional ..............and yet - I can't find it in me to dislike him.

thought Rula was great this morning.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,496
    Forum Member
    Loved that caller the other day. "Matthew, you're being obtuse". He was actually too stunned to have a pop back at him. :D
  • Options
    barclay55barclay55 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had become used to Seema and Anna (in a good way). Now it seems we have Georgy too, sorry I have to say it, with the overdone eyebrows.

And did I hear MW say something re Kirsty too today?

Anyone know whats going on?
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Seema and Anna best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barclay55 wrote: »
    I had become used to Seema and Anna (in a good way). Now it seems we have Georgy too, sorry I have to say it, with the overdone eyebrows.

And did I hear MW say something re Kirsty too today?

Anyone know whats going on?

Georgy is frightfully keen isn`t she? She could keep small animals in those brows.

K has chronic morning sickness apparently. Maybe Matthew could use that excuse for his next illness - He must`ve used ALL the others by now!
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Georgy is frightfully keen isn`t she? She could keep small animals in those brows.

K has chronic morning sickness apparently. Maybe Matthew could use that excuse for his next illness - He must`ve used ALL the others by now!

Or he could use her as one of his 'friends' that has experience of chronic morning sickness. He seems to have 'friends' for every eventuality.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her eyebrows look like stick on Fuzzy Felts........remember those?
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Her eyebrows look like stick on Fuzzy Felts........remember those?

Wow, that brings back memories, I used to love Fuzzy Felt, wonder if you can still get it :)
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    TrishaS wrote: »
    Wow, that brings back memories, I used to love Fuzzy Felt, wonder if you can still get it :)

Yes you can;-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toys-Games-Age-Ranges/b/ref=sv_k_h_b_cs_1?ie=UTF8&node=589884
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems as though MW can only cope with two callers before he goes off on one. I suppose he is just bored with his job and losing it on a regular basis.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 should rename the show "The Mathew Wright Opinion".
    If a caller shares Mathew's opinion they are afforded courtesy and plenty of air time to articulate their point, If a caller disagrees with the 'omnipotent' Mathew they are mocked, ridiculed and cut off.
    A thoroughly repugnant little man!
This discussion has been closed.