Options

People who dont give a hoot about others :(

Comments

• Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Tenants are cash cows these days are they. That's when you can get them to pay their rent you mean, which is often like getting blood out of a stone. As a landlord, many tenants are just a complete nightmare IMO. Not only do they try to get out of paying rent, they abuse you verbally and physically, leave taps and the gas running, damage your property and steal stuff. And the Citizen Advice Bureau can go and stick a lump of dynamite up their arses. They are supposed to be there to offer advice to anyone, but as soon as you mention you are a landlord and have a problem with a tenant and want them to give you advice, you are shown the door, as apparently it is a conflict of interests.

If they can give advice to tenants why not landlords?Does seem one sided, especially if you are a respectable landlord, not an unscrupulous one, but perhaps they tar all landlords with the same brush.

Sweetpeanut-there are many sites and forums for both landlords and tenants which have links too. Sometimes you find people who have been in the same situation.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    If they can give advice to tenants why not landlords?Does seem one sided, especially if you are a respectable landlord, not an unscrupulous one, but perhaps they tar all landlords with the same brush.

I am in general a pretty decent landlord. Too decent probably. As far as I'm concerned, tenancy law is made for the advantage of tenants. Some of them just disappear owing you rent, never to be seen again. The authorities will do diddly to help you locate them, as they all hide behind the Data Protection Act. Few landlords are going to go to the small claims court in order to try and get back rent arrears, as most tenants in that position can't pay anyway, so it is a waste of time.

So. These tenants leave, often leaving a load of crap behind, which muggins here has to deal with and then you get the endless debt letters coming through the door.

Needless to say. I'm just trying to make a living here, so I have little respect for landlord bashers.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eva_prior wrote: »
    In the eighties my sister and her husband were going to buy their first house. Their solicitor told them to make the cheque of £50k payable to him. A few days later, they find out he had scarpered abroad with their funds. Apparently, he'd also scammed about half a dozen others at the same time

In the nineties, my late in-laws had a burglary. When they tried to claim on the insurance, they found that the agent had not been forwarding their insurance premiums for several years. He'd been doing the same to others. He also scarpered abroad when the facts came to light.

Both those are horrendous :( Some people really are shitty.

When I first got ill I had to go onto benefits and it turned out my employer before the last one hadn't been paying in the NI that she was taken from me.:o Even though I could show them my pay slips they would not give me full money for a long time.
    No one cared, no one did anything about that employer, she ran a care home and had many ladies working there for very long hours and little money.
    That was pretty shitty too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She wont get social housing as both have good jobs and and no one has any health problems.

Its a shame that the council didn't buy up houses just for the rental market where people pay full price but have some security.

I am hoping we can all sort out something where they can buy rather than rent again.. Lot of money been lost in removals and decorating. Might be the best thing that happened in the long run..
    Its just a shame how it was done, rather than just phoning my daughter and explaining they did it behind her back. My daughter thought she was even getting a new boiler before Christmas as the old one wasn't very good and the place was cold. Little did she know it was being done with a view to sell.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Some people really are shitty.

They are indeed.
    eva_prior wrote: »
    In the eighties my sister and her husband were going to buy their first house. Their solicitor told them to make the cheque of £50k payable to him. A few days later, they find out he had scarpered abroad with their funds. Apparently, he'd also scammed about half a dozen others at the same time

In the nineties, my late in-laws had a burglary. When they tried to claim on the insurance, they found that the agent had not been forwarding their insurance premiums for several years. He'd been doing the same to others. He also scarpered abroad when the facts came to light.

Wow pure scumbags there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I am in general a pretty decent landlord. Too decent probably. As far as I'm concerned, tenancy law is made for the advantage of tenants. Some of them just disappear owing you rent, never to be seen again. The authorities will do diddly to help you locate them, as they all hide behind the Data Protection Act. Few landlords are going to go to the small claims court in order to try and get back rent arrears, as most tenants in that position can't pay anyway, so it is a waste of time.

So. These tenants leave, often leaving a load of crap behind, which muggins here has to deal with and then you get the endless debt letters coming through the door.

Needless to say. I'm just trying to make a living here, so I have little respect for landlord bashers.

Yes, I am agreeing with you, not bashing respectable landlords (not that you actually said I was), who are trying to make a living. I just mean that thanks to the dodgy landlords, the decent ones are unfairly landed with the same reputation.

I know there are decent tenants too, but that some are just a complete and utter nightmare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Yes, I am agreeing with you, not bashing respectable landlords (not that you actually said I was), who are trying to make a living. I just mean that thanks to the dodgy landlords, the decent ones are unfairly landed with the same reputation.

I know there are decent tenants too, but that some are just a complete and utter nightmare.

Yep and thanks to the rubbish tenants the good ones get tarnished as well.

Her last landlord was very upset to see her go as he said she was a rare find.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    It's best not to go making improvements in houses that you don't own. There is a danger that the landlord could do the dirty on you.

A lot of the time you have to because otherwise it's dangerous, some landlords are useless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the time you have to because otherwise it's dangerous, some landlords are useless.

Yes this was very dangerous all the electrics were within touch of her two toddlers.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mention she decorated and did some other home improvements and also that she "was led to believe it would be a long term rent", so I ask the same question that others have asked without an answer being forthcoming -
    - did she have a tenancy agreement?
    - was it a long term agreement?
    - does it state a notice period?

If she didn't sign a contract then sadly more fool her. Although having the house sold from under your feet isn't a great thing, particularly at this time of the year, you don't know the circumstances that have necessitated the sale.

Perhaps this will be a timely reminder that next time, get a contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mention she decorated and did some other home improvements and also that she "was led to believe it would be a long term rent", so I ask the same question that others have asked without an answer being forthcoming -
    - did she have a tenancy agreement?
    - was it a long term agreement?
    - does it state a notice period?

If she didn't sign a contract then sadly more fool her. Although having the house sold from under your feet isn't a great thing, particularly at this time of the year, you don't know the circumstances that have necessitated the sale.

Perhaps this will be a timely reminder that next time, get a contract.

Sadly that is what you get for believing people, and hence my thread about people who dont give a hoot about others.

The lady lied and was still lying right up until my daughter was told last night that their are viewings this weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes this was very dangerous all the electrics were within touch of her two toddlers.
    So that would be the responsibility of the landlord, not them. Good on them for taking a proactive role in protecting them but ultimately the maintenance lies within the landlord's remit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly that is what you get for believing people, and hence my thread about people who dont give a hoot about others.

The lady lied and was still lying right up until my daughter was told last night that their are viewings this weekend.

But what did she lie about? Are you saying there was no contract?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that would be the responsibility of the landlord, not them. Good on them for taking a proactive role in protecting them but ultimately the maintenance lies within the landlord's remit.

That's all very well but your child could be dead by the time they get around to doing these things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's all very well but your child could be dead by the time they get around to doing these things.

Of course, a child's safety is paramount. But if you're in rented accommodation, you have two options - (1) fix it yourself and bear the costs yourself, or (2) wait for the landlord to do the repairs.

If they did the maintenance based on the assumption they would be in the house long term, what led them to believe that? A verbal confirmation only or a contract?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what did she lie about? Are you saying there was no contract?

Not many do a long term contract anymore but my daughter was told by the landlady there was no intention to sell for many years to come if ever that was a few mths ago.

Yes I know she should not have believed her but once again .. that is what prompted my thread. I know she is within her rights blah blah de blah but up until last night she was still lying to my daughter.
    Why not just ring my daughter and say things had changed, why let my daughter find out like that?

As I said some people really dont give a hoot about others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, a child's safety is paramount. But if you're in rented accommodation, you have two options - (1) fix it yourself and bear the costs yourself, or (2) wait for the landlord to do the repairs.

If they did the maintenance based on the assumption they would be in the house long term, what led them to believe that? A verbal confirmation only or a contract?

She did fix it at cost to herself and was and is prepared to take the lose. But the landlady let her do that knowing she was going to put the house on the market within a few days.

OK I dont want to get into the legalities of all this as that isnt what its about.. its just really a thread about people who dont care how what they do affects others.
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Retro-b wrote: »
    If she hates moving why didn't she sign a long term rental agreement. Business is business I'm afraid.

Yes chalk this one down to experience. Next time she should sign long term to protect her position. Poor lass though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know the reasons why she's now selling the house?
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not many do a long term contract anymore but my daughter was told by the landlady there was no intention to sell for many years to come if ever that was a few mths ago.

Yes I know she should not have believed her .

She may have been telling the truth. Her circumstances could have changed in a way she couldn't have predicted at the time she gave your daughter the tenancy.

There is no such thing as a secure, long-term tenancy with a private landlord these days. I think it's shocking and would love to see a change in the law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know the reasons why she's now selling the house?
    No idea.
    LakieLady wrote: »
    She may have been telling the truth. Her circumstances could have changed in a way she couldn't have predicted at the time she gave your daughter the tenancy.

There is no such thing as a secure, long-term tenancy with a private landlord these days. I think it's shocking and would love to see a change in the law.

She may well have been telling the truth at the time. That isnt a reason to let my daughter pay out money for something she should done, knowing she was going to sell. No reason for her to let my daughter find out she would have to move via a phone call from a agency saying that viewing would take place this weekend.

Yes the law should be changed to protect both parties.

I know my daughter would have tried to find a contract or something but reading around the web seems these are as rare as hens teeth these day especially for someone with very small children and a dog.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22952667

I am hopeful her in-laws and maybe her Dad will help them get together a deposit to buy.

To see someone cry who never cries is horrible and would have been very avoidable, if the landlady had just let my daughter know what was going on rather than finding out like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep and thanks to the rubbish tenants the good ones get tarnished as well.

Her last landlord was very upset to see her go as he said she was a rare find.

It's a pretty shitty situation to be in at this time of year and I know, it's always the selfish ones who ruin it for everyone else, so they are all lumped together as rubbish.
    I do feel for your daughter, it's frustrating and worrying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the landlady even say sorry to your daughter Sweetpeanut? Has she been in touch to express any regret for your daughter's situation?

Sounds like there should be a lot of changes in the law to protect both good tenants and good landlords. It's like only the badly behaving people get any protection these days.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

There is no such thing as a verbal confirmation only contract, not allowed in law for any type of tenancy. Most private landlords use this type of contract

Assured shorthold tenancies with private landlords

Most people who rent from private landlords have assured shorthold tenancy contracts. This is the standard contract for private renters.
    The contract

You should get an assured shorthold tenancy contract to sign before your tenancy starts. The contract tells you how much rent to pay, who is responsible for repairs and how long the tenancy lasts. You are committed to pay the agreed rent for the length of your contract, which is usually six months or a year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a verbal confirmation only contract, not allowed in law for any type of tenancy. Most private landlords use this
    Sounds to me like there was no contract so I'm sure there ARE verbal contracts.