Options

Next Christmas jobs offered to Polish workers before being advertised in UK

Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
Forum Member
✭✭✭

If this is true it is so wrong.
With so many British people are unemployed and looking for work.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Is it Nexts role to provide jobs to British people or are they there to make a profit?
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

If this is true it is so wrong.
    With so many British people are unemployed and looking for work.

Presumably the British people don't want the jobs.

Next is probably looking for eager willing hard working people and know from experience that Polish workers fit the bill.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »

Next is probably looking for eager willing hard working people and know from experience that Polish workers fit the bill.

Hard to tell when they are not being offered.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    Is it Nexts role to provide jobs to British people or are they there to make a profit?

Well it might be nice, seeing as British taxpayers are probably subsiding a large part of their workforce. Anyway, at least their employment policy is now out in the open and the public can choose whether or not they wish to trade with a company that pursues such a policy.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cue the pathetic calls for a Next boycott
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »

If you read the story it says the jobs are advirtised in poland FIRST Eastern Europeans were being shipped over to fill the minimum wage posts weeks before they are even advertised here in Britain.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    If you read the story it says the jobs are advirtised in poland FIRST Eastern Europeans were being shipped over to fill the minimum wage posts weeks before they are even advertised here in Britain.

Its so damn wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps they had difficulty filling the posts in years gone by and are just skipping ahead to where they know they will actually get the workers.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't they bus them in from Grimsby where they have chronic unemployment?
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    No doubt the mugs in this country will still flock to Next shops in their doyens all the same, instead of keeping away and punishing the store with poor sales figures.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect most of the clothes will have been made in Asia as well on poverty pay rates.
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't they bus them in from Grimsby where they have chronic unemployment?

because free market economics.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Ah the benefits of being in the EU. Still the unemployed in Doncaster are free to move to Poland and work for £1.10 an hour.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So British companies appear to be targetting cheaper-to-hire overseas workers ?

Apart from moaning, what exactly are we going to do about it ?
  • Options
    Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow I'm surprised this has taken so long to come to national attention.

This really doesn't surprise me if I'm being honest. That Warehouse has a reputation for taking on nothing but Eastern Europeans. It's become a bit of a joke in the local area
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The recruitment session happen on the 6th. The jobs were advertised in the UK on the 19th less than two weeks later.

So even if they rounded people up from the recruitment session straight onto buses they wouldn't be able to arrive "weeks" before.

A company having an expectation that recruiting someone from abroad you might need to give them a touch more notice than the guy round the corner doesn't seem so strange to me

Still they took our jobs
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    The recruitment session happen on the 6th. The jobs were advertised in the UK on the 19th less than two weeks later.

So even if they rounded people up from the recruitment session straight onto buses they wouldn't be able to arrive "weeks" before.

A company having an expectation that recruiting someone from abroad you might need to give them a touch more notice than the guy round the corner doesn't seem so strange to me

Still they took our jobs

How can a uk worker apply for a job that is not advertised till 13 days later in the uk, so they are offering polish workers the jobs first. And sorting out accomdation for them
  • Options
    pcawthronpcawthron Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poles are harder workers and better educated. What's not to like?

Without Polish pilots the NHS would have collapsed during WW II.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh look...
    Nosedive wrote: »
    No doubt the mugs in this country will still flock to Next shops in their doyens all the same, instead of keeping away and punishing the store with poor sales figures.

That didn't take long.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member

I already boycott them as their products are bad quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Oh look...

That didn't take long.

I must be clairvoyant :D
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I already boycott them as their products are bad quality.

I have actually always found their clothes to be of good quality, unlike shops like Topman and River Island.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pcawthron wrote: »

Without Polish pilots the NHS would have collapsed during WW II.

There was NO NHS during WW2, and its a stereotype to say they are better educated and work harder when in reality most poles are lazy irritating racists, and if you say otherwise then you are deluded.

As for Next it's cheap tat made in a foreign sweatshop under conditions that were outlawed here in the UK in the 19th century, as for Boycotting Next that I cannot do as I have never stepped foot in their manky tatty overpriced shitty stores and don't ever intend to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was NO NHS during WW2, and its a stereotype to say they are better educated and work harder when in reality most poles are lazy irritating racists, and if you say otherwise then you are deluded.

As for Next it's cheap tat made in a foreign sweatshop under conditions that were outlawed here in the UK in the 19th century, as for Boycotting Next that I cannot do as I have never stepped foot in their manky tatty overpriced shitty stores and don't ever intend to.

Gonna need evidence of this assertion. I am not saying they don't have issues with racism and laziness but so do we.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    pcawthron wrote: »

Are they better educated, or are they just more self-disciplined? You don't need an education to work in a shop.