Options

black Friday 2014 in the UK?

Comments

• Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think Walmart introduced it a few years back and it's grown massively since then.

Very few genuine bargains to be had today, but as long as the mugs are happy with their 'cheap' 1-star rated gadget that they'll wish they'd not bought in about 5 minutes (from a crappy TV to a tablet with an ancient version of Android, single core processor, 64K RAM, 8x8 pixel screen and a 0.01MP camera, along with a 10mAh battery) then that's fine...
  • Options
    davehunter5davehunter5 Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Just watched the crowds at the supermarkets, you know what they remind me of is when you throw some bread when there is loads of Seagulls and they are all scrapping to get a bit
    Pretty sad actually
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next year I am going to pop along to Asda, stand near a stack of TVs and yell out "50% OFF !!!!"

;)

Seriously would like to see a campaign against this Black Friday UK rubbish. I would do it but can't be bothered.
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absoloute morons. Why didn't they just stay home and order online? Height of greed for something that will probarbly break within 12 months.
  • Options
    Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen the story on the news.....it attracts a certain type of person that shops in a certain type of shop.

We went to Waitrose today.......it was the same as it always is.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the story on the news.....it attracts a certain type of person that shops in a certain type of shop.

We went to Waitrose today.......it was the same as it always is.

Are you sure there wasn't a ruckus over the 50% off polenta?
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully I've been working all day and had no time to go to any shops.
    So a lot of the brawls were for Polaroid and Blaupunkt tellies ?

I wouldn't touch any that are not made by Panasonic,Sony, Lg or Samsung with a barge pole. Generic Chinese and Turkish crap.

Its not as if the better brands are that expensive these days.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plebs.
  • Options
    CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're fighting over TVs which they would never normally buy.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a black day for the human race - as it shows how fu****g stupid many of the mouth breathers are living today.

I have a secret wish someone had been bedded down in every store with a sub-machine gun to exterminate the terminally greedy and moronic in our society.

Darwinism in action.
    Or just let them pile into a store, lock the doors from the outside and wait for them to kill each other as they fight over a broken tv!
  • Options
    CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    Or just let them pile into a store, lock the doors from the outside and wait for them to kill each other as they fight over a broken tv!

Sounds like a SAW movie.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    the only thing unbelievable about those shoes is the good quality shots, and the fact at least half a dozen professional cameras were pointed in that direction, almost like they got EXACTLY what they came for.
    bookcover wrote: »
    I think it crept in via Walmart and Asda.
    not totally fair, Amazon has had alot to do with it as well, but yeah WalMart will have been only to happy to introduce Black Friday to its UK arm.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Yes, I think Walmart introduced it a few years back and it's grown massively since then.

Very few genuine bargains to be had today, but as long as the mugs are happy with their 'cheap' 1-star rated gadget that they'll wish they'd not bought in about 5 minutes (from a crappy TV to a tablet with an ancient version of Android, single core processor, 64K RAM, 8x8 pixel screen and a 0.01MP camera, along with a 10mAh battery) then that's fine...

It was Amazon that started it in the UK back in 2010 I believe.

On another note, were would you stand, if working in retail, you refused to 'help' or sat out the back while on this rioting went on. Surely they can't force people to work under those conditions?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »

This made me laugh. Having seen what's been going on with the crowds of shoppers - on tv, online, etc - I can honestly say I have no sympathy for any of them, even the ones being shoved and trampled on. Greed is not a pretty sight :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Are you sure there wasn't a ruckus over the 50% off polenta?

I think the biggest kerfuffle was not being able to use the 'My Waitrose' card in the 'grazing area'.
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the crowds at the supermarkets, you know what they remind me of is when you throw some bread when there is loads of Seagulls and they are all scrapping to get a bit
    Pretty sad actually

Good comparison, it was a bit sad and to be honest embarrassing. Fighting over some pretty average stuff from the looks of it that the supermarkets would no doubt have discounted in the future anyway.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sad actually

They really did behave like mindless idiots. Some women even got knocked over in the rush to get in the store. Some people really are absolute morons.
  • Options
    MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the news you would genuinely think they were giving the items away for free. I think it's quite disgusting that people resorted to violence and vandalism for a small reduction on what is essentially old stock anyway.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 51,036
    Forum Member
    Working in retail on Black Friday is terrible.

I'm so glad to be home.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I tried to look on the net for reviews of this Polaroid widescreen HD TV but there doesn't seem to be any. I presume this is a new model, so potentially a bargain at the price. However, a wider search for reviews of Polaroid TVs in general does not look very promising. Lukewarm at best, in the 2 out of 5 stars category mostly. Not too surprising given they're aiming at the cheap end of the market anyway. Even at full price this TV in Asda is very cheap for a 40" HD TV with Freeview etc. I guess people are buying their Christmas turkey early.....

I refer you to my earlier post:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=75798457&postcount=113

I wandered down to my local Asda at 8.30. They'd barriered off the aisle where the sale products were and set it up so that you could only access it through one entrance, with the other entrance leading to the rest of the store. This led to people arguing why they couldn't use both entrances and/or why was part of the store cordoned off. I heard one bloke shouting at a security guard that "This isn't f***ing America". When I had a look the stuff was stacked on pallets down the middle of the aisle but it was mostly cheap looking tat. One staff member was holding up the tablet pc they were offering shouting "last one". The tvs had all gone and had been replaced with some cheapo name that I've never heard of, leading to more arguments of "That's not the tv that was in the advert". "No, they've all gone". "Well that's no f***ing good then is it, I want the Polaroid not some cheap sh*t" (must admit I found that a little ironic)! Whole thing was just a waste of time and embarassing in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Working in retail on Black Friday is terrible.

I'm so glad to be home.

I've heard this before......my wife got out of retail due to the pressures associated with the 'critical trading periods'.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 51,036
    Forum Member
    I've heard this before......my wife got out of retail due to the pressures associated with the 'critical trading periods'.

I was supposed to be in at 2pm today and I got asked if I would start 4 hours earlier. I can't believe how busy it's been!

People were coming in asking for products that they didn't even know anything about, tablets for example, simply because it was in the Black Friday sale.

It's madness!
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if there is similar animalistic behaviour in the US when they do Black Friday there?
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I was supposed to be in at 2pm today and I got asked if I would start 4 hours earlier. I can't believe how busy it's been!

People were coming in asking for products that they didn't even know anything about, tablets for example, simply because it was in the Black Friday sale.

It's madness!

Feel sorry for all the staff in the shops where these maniacs were fighting. I would call in sick.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if there is similar animalistic behaviour in the US when they do Black Friday there?

Yes there is.