Options

Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well thanksgiving should be just as much an English tradition as American

Yes because the American Indians taught us how to grow corn and pumpkins and to shoot turkeys.:D
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody else think that the fat bald bloke off the stop smoking advert looks abit like James Corden?.....

Or just me
  • Options
    blightyearblightyear Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Although I do have a serious question for those who have posted something along the lines of, "Black Friday is an American thing, not British so we don't want it", Why does it bug you so much?
    Because it has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to British culture or British history. In the US it's part of the Thanksgiving long weekend - a day off work that people can use to go and grab their Christmas presents. In the UK it's just a normal working day and as such it doesn't need special nomenclature.

It's yet another instance of cultural appropriation by big business in order to sell us crap that we don't need (see also the explosion of Halloween from being just a little thing for kids to get sweets to some massive 'decorate your house and dress up and have massive Halloween parties full of Halloween themed food' that all the major supermarket adverts were attempting to sell us this year).
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,904
    Forum Member
    Dave constantly plugging a "whole night" of Have I Got News For You this weekend when there's actually just two of the extended episodes on from 9pm to 11pm.
  • Options
    TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to mention this one, it's been bugging me for a couple of days..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoGwi71QCYU
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blightyear wrote: »
    Because it has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to British culture or British history. In the US it's part of the Thanksgiving long weekend - a day off work that people can use to go and grab their Christmas presents. In the UK it's just a normal working day and as such it doesn't need special nomenclature.

It's yet another instance of cultural appropriation by big business in order to sell us crap that we don't need (see also the explosion of Halloween from being just a little thing for kids to get sweets to some massive 'decorate your house and dress up and have massive Halloween parties full of Halloween themed food' that all the major supermarket adverts were attempting to sell us this year).

This, in a nutshell
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth has happened to the Cravendale ad with the biscuit people who's sons head falls off in the river?. They have changed the song and it is not as good as the old one!. :confused:
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What on earth has happened to the Cravendale ad with the biscuit people who's sons head falls off in the river?. They have changed the song and it is not as good as the old one!. :confused:

It was probably scaring kids.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    It was probably scaring kids.
    Never mind the kids, it scared me :)
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    It's Cadbury.

The acting is bad because they have to pretend that Paddy McGuinness is funny. No one's that good an actor.

Cadbury has really gone down in my estimation having hired this pathetic lot for their Christmas 2014 advert.
    The whole thing is so annoyingly false plus embarrassing. Who passed it for transmission? That's what I'd like to know
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member

This is my favourite advert from this year but I agree this latest song is not quite as good as the previous one. I also agree with Koantemplation that it's probably been introduced as the old song could have been quite scary for kids !
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Dave constantly plugging a "whole night" of Have I Got News For You this weekend when there's actually just two of the extended episodes on from 9pm to 11pm.

Dave constantly plugging a whole night of anything when there's actually just 2 episodes on a 6 hour loop...
  • Options
    Corky DukeCorky Duke Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sky News advert for The Autumn Statement

"How will George Osbourne deal with this difficult time"

By screwing anyone who can't afford it :cry:
  • Options
    HypnosssHypnosss Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting very sick of hearing that Balding woman go on about being one of 8000 to carry the Olympic flame.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barbara Windsor and that bingo site. "Come and play with our big blue balls" giggle! How old are you Babs, and still doing your Carry On schtick!

The Peter Andre Xmas Iceland ads, they're exactly the same as the normal awful ads but with tinsel around the freezers.
  • Options
    fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That awful Warner Leisure Hotels advert, with the boring blonde woman and her husband Colin. Dunno what demographic they're aiming to appeal to, but it's coming across as if the hotels are all gonna be full of irritating couples just like themselves.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »

There should be at least 3 if not 4
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,567
    Forum Member
    Rocket Cash where a woman is proud that several companies have turned her down for a loan.

I would be mortified if that happened to me, not boasting about it to a friend.
  • Options
    Sadly All SeeinSadly All Seein Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Yes because the American Indians taught us how to grow corn and pumpkins and to shoot turkeys.:D

Exactly
  • Options
    Sadly All SeeinSadly All Seein Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Rocket Cash where a woman is proud that several companies have turned her down for a loan.

I would be mortified if that happened to me, not boasting about it to a friend.

It's like the 118118 loans ad where the woman is turned down by her bank and 118118 give her a loan saying something like we give loans to those turned down.

There's a reason they're turned down quite often.
    Rocket cash and 118118 shouldn't be handing out loans to so many of these people
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blightyear wrote: »
    Dear Advertisers and Retailers; Black Friday is an AMERICAN thing. It's not a BRITISH thing. We don't have THANKSGIVING on a Thurdsay and we don't pile into the shops the following day to bag a bargain. so BOG OFF with your transatlantic nonsense.

Completely agree this whole black Friday thing is just a load of nonsense that retailers have latched onto as a way of manipulating customers into thinking that they are getting bargains.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like this ad. Has a melancholic & nostalgic vibe.

Agree about the Warner ads with the annoying women. I don't believe Colin exists or he probably ran off years ago.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly

:confused::confused:
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know its been said but Quidco, please stop.

Hardly any festive ads have the old fashioned Christmas songs this year, which I find sad ☹
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my favourite advert from this year but I agree this latest song is not quite as good as the previous one. I also agree with Koantemplation that it's probably been introduced as the old song could have been quite scary for kids !

It was scary, but fun. I suspect kids were less perturbed by it than adults assuming their kids would be scared by it.

In terms of pet hate ads, I agree about the maudlin Vistaprint 'just wanted you to know' dirge. There's boatloads of these breathy folkrock songs being used to front adverts and I always end up hating the song just because a segment of it gets so overused in scmaltzy adverts. I find it taints the artist somehow. A pity.

The advert that drives me nuts atm is that stupid 'Cortana' phone thing, where a way too cheerful eejit has a conversation with his female-voiced phone program to get it to 'remind' him to remember he and his wife's anniversary and get her flowers. Because obviously in this tecchie age, we're all such dumbasses we need a Cortana phone program to prod us as to why we got married or how to shop for gifts. It's insane.

"Cheers Cortana!"

F!ck off! :D
This discussion has been closed.