The Carry On Films And Carry On Television Series Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Carry On Cruising on now.

A more sedate early Carry On with Sid and Ken being less outrageous, Williams not quite as camp, and James not quite as lecherous as they would be in later films.

Dilys Laye is rather cute in this one, she passed away in 2009.

Dilys Laye was great, wish she'd been in more Carry Ons. Watched Carry On Doctor yesterday, her character Mavis is really loveable.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    I am actually surprised that the BBC released the entire six series of Sickness and in Health a couple of years ago. There was obviously demand for it to be released and has sold well I believe.

The Labour party when in Government at one point were considering legislation that would have prevented repeats of programmes such as Till Death, Are you being served? and the Carry on movies. Even comedy such as Allo! Allo! was targeted due their thoughs on the way Germans were portrayed, despite the fact the comedy is a success in Germany.

Their reasoning? They thought it was not appropriate by today's standards to screen old TV programmes that contained racist, sexist and derogatory humour towards others.

Absolutely pathetic!!
    Sounds like something some middle class white lefty on the lines of Harriet Harperson would dream up. This is censorship of the worst kind.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Carry on Camping was the last great Carry On film. As the genre entered the seventies, it started to feel dated and making the humour more coarse to match the sex comedies that were becoming popular in that decade didn't work. To me the golden era was 1957 to 1969 with Cabbie, Camping, Teacher, Sergeant, Doctor, Screaming, Khyber and Regardless being the best.

Not sure it was for me it was carry on abroad Peter Butterworth with his phony spanish accent and the half finished hotel had me in stiches particularly the end when the whole thing flooded. And correct me if i am wrong i think this was the last film with the whole of the regular carry on actors in it.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am actually surprised that the BBC released the entire six series of Sickness and in Health a couple of years ago. There was obviously demand for it to be released and has sold well I believe.
    The Labour party when in Government at one point were considering legislation that would have prevented repeats of programmes such as Till Death, Are you being served? and the Carry on movies. Even comedy such as Allo! Allo! was targeted due their thoughs on the way Germans were portrayed, despite the fact the comedy is a success in Germany.

Their reasoning? They thought it was not appropriate by today's standards to screen old TV programmes that contained racist, sexist and derogatory humour towards others.

Absolutely pathetic!!

Yes i love it i have all the "sickness and in Health" DVD's myself including the christmas specials.:)
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Carry On Cruising on now.

A more sedate early Carry On with Sid and Ken being less outrageous, Williams not quite as camp, and James not quite as lecherous as they would be in later films.

Dilys Laye is rather cute in this one, she passed away in 2009.

She apparently replaced Joan who couldn't do it cos she was ill. I often wonder how different it would have been if Joan had done it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carry On Again Doctor is on Sunday 11:35am on ITV1.

Although I love this film, I do think it would have been interesting to have carried the film on from where Carry On Doctor ended, seeing how Matron and Dr Tinkle were after being demoted, Bernard Bresslaw and Dilys Laye's relationship etc.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carry On Again Doctor is on Sunday 11:35am on ITV1.

Although I love this film, I do think it would have been interesting to have carried the film on from where Carry On Doctor ended, seeing how Matron and Dr Tinkle were after being demoted, Bernard Bresslaw and Dilys Laye's relationship etc.
    I'm just watching it now - blimey the cuts ITV made to the scenes so far is astounding, especially the part where Dr Nookie meets Barbara Windsor's character Goldie when she's brought in on a stretcher. Honestly wondering if it was worth them broadcasting the film!! :D

Oh, and I agree with your sentiment too.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one Carry On I don't ever recall seeing all the way through.

I suppose Bab's , erm, baps were the reasons for the badly executed cuts ?
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one Carry On I don't ever recall seeing all the way through.

I suppose Bab's , erm, baps were the reasons for the badly executed cuts ?

Yet switch over to the music channels and the kids can see a lot more flesh and sexual content any time of the day.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely pathetic!!

Could you provide a link for this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    I'm just watching it now - blimey the cuts ITV made to the scenes so far is astounding, especially the part where Dr Nookie meets Barbara Windsor's character Goldie when she's brought in on a stretcher. Honestly wondering if it was worth them broadcasting the film!! :D

Oh, and I agree with your sentiment too.

I didn't catch it but I remember last time it was on there was loads of cuts, Wilfred Brambell's small scene was removed. Yes thanks, I always thought it would of been interesting to see Doctor, Carry On.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV 3 Carry on camping on now then at 2.40pm Carry on screaming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice ITV did'nt cut the nip slip on the christmas day Carry On Camping. Good on em !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've really enjoyed watching these Christmas, even though I have them all on DVD. Shame Carry On Doctor wasn't on but good to see some of the black and white films on, I think Spying and Sergeant are on tomorrow.

Also if you missed it The Greatest Ever Carry On films is on tomorrow on Channel 5 at 11:25am.
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    channel 5 showed some Carry On films yesterday (boxing day) did any of you see them.
    they also had the Carry On christmas on to.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    channel 5 showed some Carry On films yesterday (boxing day) did any of you see them.

Their Best Ever Carry On Show was very good, surprised that Kyber was number one.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I watched that last night. Had never seen it before and not sure I'd want to see it again! :o It was awful and its not often you can say that about a 'Carry On..'.
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Their Best Ever Carry On Show was very good, surprised that Kyber was number one.

Didn't catch the shows yesterday but Khyber normally comes top on polls of fave Carry On's. It's not bad but not my favourite. I love the 1969-1974 era of films. 'Camping', 'Again Doctor', At Your Convenience', 'Matron', 'Abroad', 'Girls' and 'Dick' are my faves. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    I watched that last night. Had never seen it before and not sure I'd want to see it again! :o It was awful and its not often you can say that about a 'Carry On..'.

There were 4 Carry On Christmas Specials and this was certainly the worst of them. It was so cringey.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep I caught Nurse and one before it (although the name escape me). All good fun. ;-)
    Torch81 wrote: »
    What was so bad about it?
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might have been interesting to see the 1970 Tv special for a change, but as it got affected by the ITV colour strike, its doubtful.

(I bet ITV execs were really ****** off in 1970, having to broadcast Xmas shows in black & white after having the previous year in colour? Did anything in that period slip through in colour or not?)
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    It might have been interesting to see the 1970 Tv special for a change, but as it got affected by the ITV colour strike, its doubtful.

(I bet ITV execs were really ****** off in 1970, having to broadcast Xmas shows in black & white after having the previous year in colour? Did anything in that period slip through in colour or not?)

I thought the colour strike was in 1971. I know that episodes of 'Bless This House', 'On The Buses' and 'Budgie' were affected.
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member

I was never a fan of that one. Cowboy was highly ranked too, which I always considered as one of the worst.

The best three are Cleo, Screaming and Camping in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »

What was so bad about it?

I just thought it weak compared to the majority of the films in terms of script and the acting. It had the feel, to me anyway, of being written that morning and filmed in the afternoon.
    My judgement may have been clouded a bit by a couple of things though. Firstly, no Kenneth Williams and to me if its 'Carry On' it needs him in there. I believe from reading his diaries that he saw the script and thought it appalling and declined to take part. Understandable I'd say.
    Also, I was...ahem, slightly tipsy last night :blush::D which, in retrospect, may have clouded my judgement a bit. If others rate it I'd probably think, Mmm, ok, maybe I need to give it another chance, (and watch when sober!) ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    I was never a fan of that one. Cowboy was highly ranked too, which I always considered as one of the worst.

The best three are Cleo, Screaming and Camping in my opinion.

I'd never rank either 'Kyber' or 'Cowboy' in a personal top 5 (or top 10 for that matter) either. Agree with two of your three choices but I'd put 'Behind' or 'Abroad' in there ahead of 'Screaming', (although 'Screaming' would be in my top 10).

Of course and as ever these things are all about personal preference and taste though! :)