Options

Potential ban on taking hand luggage onto an airplane

Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
Forum Member
✭✭
TERRORISTS are plotting to blow up five European passenger jets in a Christmas "spectacular", security experts say.

The threat has been taken so seriously it came close to leading to an outright ban on all hand luggage, a senior insider has revealed.

Mobile phones and electronic devices could still be banned from plane cabins, with the threat of a 9/11-style coordinated attack on London and other major cities feared imminent.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/541725/REVEALED-Al-Qaeda-plot-to-blow-up-5-European-passenger-jets-in-Christmas-spectacular

Could we end up with having to take any essential items (such as passports, money and travel documents) in a clear plastic bag, with no other hand luggage being allowed on board?

Comments

• Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be stupid, no way am I putting my laptop in with my luggage, you'd have to be mad.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hand luggage is xrayed as is hold luggage so if they can avoid anything being detected in hand luggage they can easily avoid it in hold luggage so it would be a pointless ban all it would do is make some people feel safer when they are not and inconvenience the majority.

What next insist all passengers strip off and enter the plane naked.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,035
    Forum Member
    I don't think it would bother me that much if that was to happen. Laptop in luggage vs blown up. That's a toughie.

I don't think it will make that much difference to the plans of terrorists. They don't seem the type of people to not have a plan B
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it would bother me that much if that was to happen. Laptop in luggage vs blown up. That's a toughie.

I don't think it will make that much difference to the plans of terrorists. They don't seem the type of people to not have a plan B

Have you seen how baggage handlers handle your suitcases Hollie? You'd be lucky if they survived, and the low temperatures where all the baggage is kept doesn't do them any good either.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,035
    Forum Member
    And like I say, what would you prefer you luggage arriving in one piece or yourself?

I don't recall ever taking my laptop in hand luggage anyway so suppose that's why it doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    It's The Express.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And like I say, what would you prefer you luggage arriving in one piece or yourself?

I don't recall ever taking my laptop in hand luggage anyway so suppose that's why it doesn't bother me.

Sorry but it's an incredibly stupid thing to do to put it in your luggage like that. If you've done it, you've been extremely lucky not getting it damaged. Seeing as the scanners are the same it's stupid to suggest that it goes in like that anyway.

I'd rather myself and my laptop get their safely thank you very much. It shouldn't be one or the other. Plenty of airlines say you shouldn't put delicate items like laptops in hold luggage, and they aren't responsible for any damage to items like laptops.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's The Express.

Indeed. End of thread.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you ban all carry on luggage, then the terrorists will just place the bombs in suitcases and hope they get through. And given the sheer lack of security at some airports you can pretty much guarantee that some would.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Have you seen how baggage handlers handle your suitcases Hollie? You'd be lucky if they survived, and the low temperatures where all the baggage is kept doesn't do them any good either.

While I was on holiday earlier this year, it was reported that all electricals needed to be charged and checked at boarding, our laptop charger had broken while we were on holiday so the laptop had died and we had to put it in our hold luggage. It was completely fine.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/541725/REVEALED-Al-Qaeda-plot-to-blow-up-5-European-passenger-jets-in-Christmas-spectacular

Could we end up with having to take any essential items (such as passports, money and travel documents) in a clear plastic bag, with no other hand luggage being allowed on board?

Is there anything from a reputable source about this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    While I was on holiday earlier this year, it was reported that all electricals needed to be charged and checked at boarding, our laptop charger had broken while we were on holiday so the laptop had died and we had to put it in our hold luggage. It was completely fine.

I'd rather not take that risk. Even if it comes out fine, you could end up getting it nicked. Then where would you be, because airlines don't compensate for items like laptops.
    There are probably people who say oh my laptop was completely fine in my suitcase, one day it won't be and you will wish you hadn't put it in your hold luggage. Plenty of stories on forums of laptops being damaged, and the fact that airlines tell you you shouldn't be putting it in hold luggage should be telling you something.

Did you just put your laptop in the hold luggage thinking you'd be asked to power it on? I went abroad this year and wasn't asked, so you shouldn't assume people will ask to see it powered on.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member

I dunno about that, you do hear of some monumentally stupid terrorists (The Taliban guys who got eaten by a bear, the guys who gave themselves the Black Death, the person who's bomb was detonated early because of a spam text message, etc...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are they meant to carry out attacks anyway? Lots of planes don't even have wifi on board.
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,167
    Forum Member
    "Passengers to be banned from wearing clothes on flights"

Airline passengers will soon have to fly stark naked following an enhanced terror threat, which has already seen a ban on hand luggage in the cabin.
    A senior Government terror expert has said "we need to reduce the places that terrorists have to hide suspect devices, and we will only achieve this by placing a ban on airline customers wearing clothing whilst travelling.
    A spokes person for the airports later commented that vending machines selling approved basic clothing will be made available should customers choose to purchase such items after clearing security.
    The airport official has also stated that as customers will be unable to take credit cards and money through security a simple hand stamp with a smart bar code will allow customers to add credit to an account and then use that credit to purchase goods once they have transited security to Departures and then also on board the aircraft, however consumer group Passenger Focus has raised concerns over this as any credit will expire after one trip. as it will run on a use it or loose it basis.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather not take that risk. Even if it comes out fine, you could end up getting it nicked. Then where would you be, because airlines don't compensate for items like laptops.
    There are probably people who say oh my laptop was completely fine in my suitcase, one day it won't be and you will wish you hadn't put it in your hold luggage. Plenty of stories on forums of laptops being damaged, and the fact that airlines tell you you shouldn't be putting it in hold luggage should be telling you something.

Did you just put your laptop in the hold luggage thinking you'd be asked to power it on? I went abroad this year and wasn't asked, so you shouldn't assume people will ask to see it powered on.

And if they hadn't put it in the hold and been asked to power it up it would have been confiscated.

You seem to be very attached to your "stuff" :confused: Dont presume everyone else is as attached to stuff as you are.
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for a total ban, it's a non starter. Many passengers have to carry medicine with them at all times i.e diabetics etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if they hadn't put it in the hold and been asked to power it up it would have been confiscated.

You seem to be very attached to your "stuff" :confused: Dont presume everyone else is as attached to stuff as you are.

Seeing as my laptop is my main machine, yes I am attached! I work in IT, can't afford to have it broken. Of course I have backups and a spare laptop, but Im not stupid enough to spend good money on a macbook and put it in hold luggage. If my battery ever died,they may confiscate it, but I'd rather have it confiscated and posted back home than go in my suitcase. I think it pays to get spare batteries, or at least an external battery just in case your laptop battery dies on you the day you're meant to be travelling!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well exactly , as I stated before, it was reported in the news while we were on holiday that new rules had come out that all electrical items were to be charged and ready to switch on. It was all over the news. Things that couldn't be powered up would be confiscated. Hence why we put it in the hold luggage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seeing as my laptop is my main machine, yes I am attached! I work in IT, can't afford to have it broken. Of course I have backups and a spare laptop, but Im not stupid enough to spend good money on a macbook and put it in hold luggage. They may confiscate it, but I'd rather have it confiscated and posted back home than go in my suitcase. I think it pays to get spare batteries, or at least an external battery just in case your laptop battery dies on you the day you're meant to be travelling!

Wow Monica, I really should have had a spare charger and a spare battery, and another spare charger and another spare battery and kept them in a fire safe tin at least 10 foot from the original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went in September, after all this business in the news. Wasn't asked to power it up. The only thing I had to do was take it out of my bag and put it in a container to be scanned.

Most of these stories seem to be blown out of proportion. There were suggestions at the time that it was only for US flights. Would love to know if people on DS have been asked to power their laptops up on holiday this year, and where they were travelling to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I went in September, after all this business in the news. Wasn't asked to power it up. The only thing I had to do was take it out of my bag and put it in a container to be scanned.

Most of these stories seem to be blown out of proportion. There were suggestions at the time that it was only for US flights. Would love to know if people on DS have been asked to power their laptops up on holiday this year, and where they were travelling to.

Jeez, I went in July, the day before we were due to travel back it was on the news so we just put the laptop in the luggage, and for your reference some people were asked to power stuff up. We weren't but does it really really matter, we weren't bothered about putting it in the hold luggage... why don't you do a poll if it bothers you that much!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow Monica, I really should have had a spare charger and a spare battery, and another spare charger and another spare battery and kept them in a fire safe tin at least 10 foot from the original.

But the thing is you've read that story in the summer and just assumed everyone has to power on their laptops. When that's not the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez, I went in July, the day before we were due to travel back it was on the news so we just put the laptop in the luggage, does it really really matter, why don't you do a poll if it bothers you that much!

It's not my thread, so sadly I can't.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    As for a total ban, it's a non starter. Many passengers have to carry medicine with them at all times i.e diabetics etc.

I think that essential medicines would be exempted - like when this happened in August 2006.