Options

Gordon Brown to stand down as an MP

InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
Forum Member
Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 1m1 minute ago
Sky Sources: Gordon Brown is expected to confirm tonight that he will be standing down as an MP
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will anyone notice the difference?
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

The voters of Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath will.

Sky are reporting this as breaking news?

There were reports about this in the Scottish media last week.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    It's a shame, no matter what people think he is one of the last few who base their election on hard principles. This was a man who did a lot to help the no cause in the referendum, the fire and passion from him, is something not seen in a generation from the Westminster lot. His opponents we likely decry his premiership and blame him and his predecessor for the state we are now in, sadly that will be a poor legacy. At least he can say he fought for the causes he believed, something him and Salmond do share.

Wonder who will seek his seat? I should imagine the SNP will be in with a chance?
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Wonder who will seek his seat? I should imagine the SNP will be in with a chance?

If it's safe I'm sure there's a Blair junior who would quite like it, or they could do what they did in Birmingham and have a man (with party top brass and union ties) get to the top of the all women shortlist
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell you what I'd like to see...Brown get elected as an MSP and Salmond as an MP...neither beyond the bounds of possibility either :D
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    How many more times does he need to announce this? It was news weeks ago.

What a vain man he is.
  • Options
    GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell you what I'd like to see...Brown get elected as an MSP and Salmond as an MP...neither beyond the bounds of possibility either :D

I think that this is actually quite a likely outcome.

While I don't agree with much of what Salmond says I do enjoy, for the most part ( he got a little arsy in the final weeks of the referendum campaign) listening to him. He's a very good orator, he's sharp, quick witted and he just plays the game of politics too well. I doubt that his ego will allow him to sit on the sidelines for too long. If he can sit in Westminster and take sideswipes at both the Conservatives and Labour, I'm sure he would love too.

Brown, from what I hear from those in the business community that have met him, is liked, he's apparently very personable and witty, he's just not respected all that much, so I can't really see him being made too many offers to join the board anytime soon. I also don't think it's in his nature to do that. He's also a confirmed workaholic so unless he takes up a position with some form of think-tank, or more likely an academic position most likely in the US, I think a return to politics at Holyrood is quite a likely scenario.
    It's also not exactly a taxing commute from Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh either, so no excuse for not showing up, eh Gordon.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

A lot of the posters on here will. They won't be able to go on ad infinitem anymore about his lack of attendance.
    Perhaps after May 2015 they will be turning their ire on the lack of attendance of the backbench MP for Witney? :D
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the posters on here will. They won't be able to go on ad infinitem anymore about his lack of attendance.
    Perhaps after May 2015 they will be turning their ire on the lack of attendance of the backbench MP for Witney? :D

Oooh, I think we all know who'll be doing that - don't we? :D
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

While not good (about 10% when he first started as PM) - it is better than both Blair and Brown.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Be careful of what you wish for"
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Good riddance, he has held Parliament in contempt since 2010 since he started sulking and not showing up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    It's a shame, no matter what people think he is one of the last few who base their election on hard principles.
    Laughable, he was a slimeball political opportunist who based his career on spin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    Laughable, he was a slimeball political opportunist who based his career on spin.

Are you talking about Brown or Blair there? ;-)

I was never a fan of Brown but I will accept that he was a man of convictions and intellect. However he was psychologically unfit for leadership especially in a modern media age. For a man who wrote a book called "Courage", he wimped out of the two biggest decisions of his life - to challenge Blair for the leadership and then to call an early election when he became PM.

It's probably still too early for history to do a full assessment of him. Much of his standing will probably depend on how MIliband does if he becomes PM. In 5 years time people may well be saying that Brown wasn't that bad after all...
  • Options
    Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The PM has affairs fo state to attend to.

Back benchers should be in the commons far far more than Brown is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Brown was never a spinner, for his many faults that was not one of them. He out and out lied from time to time, but to call him a spinner would not be accurate.
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately "Brown's burden" won’t fade away so easily
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gormagon wrote: »
    Brown was never a spinner, for his many faults that was not one of them. He out and out lied from time to time, but to call him a spinner would not be accurate.
    Of course he was a spinner, and one of the worst.

This was the guy who employed Damian McBride....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Brown employed McBride, as did Blair employ Campbell. Its an irrelevant argument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brown also employed Wheelan, who turns out to be one of the most honest and non-corrupt of the lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And that lead to one of Brown's greatest quotes: "I take full responsibility for what happened. That's why the person who was responsible went immediately."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8002085.stm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brown employed McBride, as did Blair employ Campbell. Its an irrelevant argument.

No it isnt. No one is claiming Blair was some sort of decent principled politician. They are for Brown. He was just another New Labour spin obsessed grubby politician.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it isnt. No one is claiming Blair was some sort of decent principled politician. They are for Brown. He was just another New Labour spin obsessed grubby politician.

If you are under the impression that Brown was a principled politician you are quite mistaken. Brown's only principle was his ideals, taken mainly from 19C text books.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you are under the impression that Brown was a principled politician you are quite mistaken. Brown's only principle was his ideals, taken mainly from 19C text books.
    Erm, I'm the one who is pointing out he isnt....